• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I want to support my local dealer, but.......

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I want to support my local dealer, but I was just able to get a part shipped to my door from Motobins for about $60 (29.50 British Pounds plus delivery). The same part in the US is $125. It took less than a week to get here. I wonder why there's such a large differences in the prices. I will always try to support the local dealers, but sometimes it's just not financial sound.

Looking forward to hearing from our Canadian friends!:banghead

Seems like they are even more taken advantage of than we in the US.

Why?:scratch

I don't support my local dealer because he's Lord Farquaad. If he lost the imperious attitude I might think about buying a light bulb from him, but the arrogance drove me south to Max BMW and I've been happy ever since.

From what I understand Motobins buys direct from the same suppliers the BMW gets them.

Take out the middleman making a buck (BMW) and you get cheaper costs.

Are you listening BMW?

Strange that such an important part has that great of a cost discrepancy. It has to be more than just the "middle man", unless there are multiple people in the loop. :dunno

I buy parts from one of two dealers in the area, when convenient and parts are in stock, you know, I'm passing by, give it try, save gas and postage. However, the cost can be crazy high. 45 bucks for a couple oil filters? Thanx, I think!

Being dealer is very tough these days. We're all a bit cheap especially when we remember a condenser being a buck and half, new rear tire fifty bucks and an air filter five bucks. Today a dealer needs twenty-two bucks for a condenser just to keep one on the shelf, a guy to sell it and a team of compliance lawyers, business consultants and accountants on the hook, a banker, not to mention tons of insurance and license-sure experts, backed by liability field experts. It's tough out there in a business. IIRC, to pay a full time employee ten bucks an hour the business has to generate somewhere north fifty to sixty grand gross.

The condenser is still probably worth about nine cents.

When I walk into a dealership today the first thought is, "How can these people possibly stay in this business?" I actually feel much empathy for these businesses scrambling today. And I also know that a lousy forty-bucks isn't going run that business for even forty-five seconds. Change is great when the future outcome can be predicted.

I'd suggest that comparing parts prices for Airhead parts is a separate category and is likely not applicable to newer bikes. For the part in question, I'd venture it's no longer in production by anybody.

Back