• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New to the third wheel ranks.

story

After going to the rally and seeing lots of sidecars and talking to there drivers
my wife decided she wanted a side hack. :banghead
Started looking into it, thinking I could put a sidecar on my Honda cruiser.:scratch
When we got home I had her get on it to see how she fit, it's way to big for her.
By the time put on the car and made modifications to the bike to where she could reach
everything it would get very expensive. :violin
Lets see whats on Craig's List.
And there it was just what she was wanting.:dance
So now we are officially members of the third wheel.:thumb

IMG_0349.jpg

Welcome and congratulations on the new hack. Many lessons to learn, most not remotely related to motorcycling. This is a good forum to learn from other's experiments. Best thing to do though is put the miles on and gain your own. Each out fit will have it's strong and weak points. Go find them and enjoy. Ride easy,
gp

Welcome to 3rd wheel insanity! Nice rig!
Strongly suggest you both take a S/TEP class if there is one close to you, it will give you the basics in a hands on setting.
David Hough's "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" (The Ylelow Book) is a good resource.
Good downloads on operation & setup here.
Lots of info & help at Sidecar.com and the Hacks forum on ADVRider.

Welcome to 3rd wheel insanity! Nice rig!
Strongly suggest you both take a S/TEP class if there is one close to you, it will give you the basics in a hands on setting.
David Hough's "Driving a Sidecar Outfit" (The Ylelow Book) is a good resource.
Good downloads on operation & setup here.
Lots of info & help at Sidecar.com and the Hacks forum on ADVRider.

Your are in Evergreen Council country so there will be good courses for you.

Ton's to learn, so might as well start with the best teachers! http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/sidecar-training/

Have fun!

Must be something about that combo. I just picked up a 2008 K12GT with a Hannigan myself. So far it has been a fun learning experience. I hope to be able to add to the experience here as I learn myself.

Thanks for the info and advice. Lots to learn. :thumb
Shadowfax. Post a photo of your rig. :wave
I think its a sexy combination.

As I like to tell folks "once you go hack, you'll never go back."

Welcome to the wonderful of three wheels. I took the S/TEP class several years ago when I first got my Ural and the class was invaluable.

For sidecars, it's all about the combination of throttle and body position. The other beauty of a hack is it expands your riding season as snow, ice, gravel, cinders are no longer going to cause you to low slide. Instead, they are either a nearly non-issue or present an opportunity to do some sliding on purpose.

Back