• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No updates for the K1300S?

johns3

2-up and havin' fun
Today I received the August issue of ON.

An article spotlights changes to the 2016 models- specifically the S1000RR, F800GT, R1200RT, K1600GT and GTL plus the R1200GS/GSA.

Either there will be some changes to the K1300S in the coming months or it isn't going to have anything new for '16.

HOW ABOUT CRUISE CONTROL???

While some poo-poo having CC on a bike, having to do a few hours on the slab to get to a destination or to get to the good roads is made more tolerable with that feature. Hey even the S-RR has it now. Not having to constantly look down at the speedometer is a nice benefit.

Has anyone heard of K1300S changes? Or is a K1600S in the works for the future?

My dealer says 2016 will be the last year for the K1300S. Therefore, I don't expect any changes. Since the bike is not throttle-by-wire, adding cruise control is not a simple task, and I wouldn't expect to see it.

That can't bode well for parts availability, which is already somewhat of an issue on the 4-cylinder wedge-K bike.

:(

Best,

DG

Hadn't heard that there is a parts shortage for K wedges. Some examples?

Hadn't heard that there is a parts shortage for K wedges. Some examples?

I hadn't heard such either. Certainly not at the global or even national level. But to an individual rider who needs a part from an indifferent dealer who certainly doesn't stock it, who might or might not get it ordered this week, then a two or three week delay taking out most of a summer month might be seen as a parts shortage.

Just a side note on BMW and parts...
I ordered a set of rear springs for an about 1967 or so R60 in about 2007.
One spring came from Germany in two weeks or so.
The second one said "outside vendor" on the parts site and it came in about a month.
So...they made the spring...or the next best thing and found one somewhere.
Now I know it's just a spring, but I was impressed.
"Mobile Tradition" I guess.

A good friend and riding companion had his 2008 K12GT re-purchased by BMW after it's cam chain jumped a tooth and took out the top end. The bike was out of service for 11 months plus before the repurchase, with the initial delays due to the dealer not being able to get top-end parts. The machine continued to throw a knock sensor error that the dealer and BMW could not get cleared. Recently, an owner on another forum needed a K13 crankshaft after his went south. None available all the way back to Germany and no clear indication when there would be one available, so he chose to purchase a used motor instead. K12GT owners with damaged sidepanels have had to resort to installing K13 sidepanels as the K12 units are NLA. And the panels are just different enough that some have opted to either replace both sides to get a match, or just pick up used K12 parts and repaint them.

While I've never had an issue getting routine service items, I remain nervous should the need arise for major components on discontinued product lines. YMMV, of course.

Best,

DG

Today I received the August issue of ON.

An article spotlights changes to the 2016 models- specifically the S1000RR, F800GT, R1200RT, K1600GT and GTL plus the R1200GS/GSA.

Either there will be some changes to the K1300S in the coming months or it isn't going to have anything new for '16.

HOW ABOUT CRUISE CONTROL???

While some poo-poo having CC on a bike, having to do a few hours on the slab to get to a destination or to get to the good roads is made more tolerable with that feature. Hey even the S-RR has it now. Not having to constantly look down at the speedometer is a nice benefit.

Has anyone heard of K1300S changes? Or is a K1600S in the works for the future?

We should see what the K16 possible replacement looks like on Tuesday the 16th...no guarantees the S is in the announcement on Tuesday.

Check out the FWIW section of Bench Racing today

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?40692-Bench-Racing-amp-The-Morning-Reads

Back