• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'14 R1200RT Cold First Starting Problems

torrnado

I have a '14 RT purchased in November 2014 and I now have 7.2k miles. When starting it cold, it will turn over and over and then (usually) start on the second attempt. It has done this for about a month now. When it's warm, it will start up every time as the day it was new. Today, it wouldn't start at all and turned over and over without firing. The 6k service has been performed. I'm taking it into the dealership for warranty work on Tuesday, but I'm not sure I can get it to start.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, what was the fix?

PS: apologies if this has already been covered. these forums still baffle me...

Torrnado,

I've had my 2014 about 16 months now +-6K miles. Just this season (which started for me early March after the snow cleared out) I started having a "Similar problem" in that the RT no longer likes to start on the first try when cold. However, it almost always starts on the 2nd crank. My 05 Rt was ALWAYS like this. Maybe starting closer to the 3rd crank.
I'm sorry there is no solution from me, but wanted to let you know that I've noticed a change after the first storage season.
I'm due for annual service (did the oil already, but whatever else is left) and plan on asking the question about this. I'll report back if I get any info from them.

Mine does it and so does a buddies gs. We did some testing and we found if you turn the key on and immediately hit the start button the bikes fire right up first try. However if you wait more than a few seconds and or let all the gauges reset and then try it almost always takes two tries to start the bike.

We haven't found out why but our theory is something is losing its value or resetting when you allow the bike computer to fully cycle. That something is corrected or set in the second start attempt.

The fact that we can repeat the one or two start procedure 100 percent of the time on two different bikes confirms it is a bug or issue but exactly what we don't know.

I have a gs911 but haven't yet tried starting with it connected nor checked for codes.

That video was alarming - seems it never did start. Mine cranks without firing the first time, then starts right up the 2nd time. Occasionally it'll start the first time, but not like when it was new, where I think it turned over maybe two revolutions before starting. This behavior started sometime after the 6K service. I asked the dealer to look at it on the 12K but nothing was wrong (of course). I thought I was supposed to wait for the boot sequence to finish before starting, but will try to start in the middle and see what happens. Warm it starts no problem. I'll ask again at the 18K service next week.

Maybe, no-start on first try is a hidden benefit.

Sometimes I purposely let go of the starter button before my LC boxers fire up. I let it crank for a moment or 2 and then quickly abort.

Cranking first, then releasing the starter button, then firing them up in earnest seems to relieve the horrible rattle that these engines exhibit for a second or so upon start-up.

Don't know what the rattle is, decompression device or cam chain , or so I've heard tell. Whatever it is, sure doesn't sound much like the high end precision machinery that I was hoping for.
Reminds me of a moment in time with my long departed 2002 R1150RT, before I replaced the defective cam-chain tensioner. A friend requested that I start up my newly acquired BMW so he could marvel at it's glory(tongue in cheek). He listened to it start, laughed, and jokingly asked if it was a diesel.
Embarrassing really.

d'Milan

Last edited:
Since the new RT's have a slightly higher compression maybe they need a compression release valve (CRV) if they don't already. A few years back I had my Harley motor built up (96" to 103" and with higher compression) and ended up with a starting issue like this, killed batteries every 6 mo. The newer HD's with the 103" stock motors now have automatic compression release valves.

Since the new RT's have a slightly higher compression maybe they need a compression release valve (CRV) if they don't already. A few years back I had my Harley motor built up (96" to 103" and with higher compression) and ended up with a starting issue like this, killed batteries every 6 mo. The newer HD's with the 103" stock motors now have automatic compression release valves.

Oh, they have one alright... maybe one in each head, not sure about that.

That may be the cruddy rattle and slap you hear at start up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfAg2w4dXjQ

thanks

thanks everyone for all the replies. i took it into BMW of San Francisco today and will report back what they find. without offending anyone here (and in a slightly irritated tone), i didn't pay $24000 for a bike that won't start anytime i want it to. my honda ran like a swiss watch and never hesitated to start (ever), so i'm none too pleased with this issue. i'm hoping it's just a simple fix or software update because i don't want to fight BMWofNA to get my bike working like it did when it was new. i always let the computer and dash cycle fully before starting as someone once told me that it's best. i hadn't tried to start it cold without letting this happen.

thanks again everyone...

thanks everyone for all the replies. i took it into BMW of San Francisco today and will report back what they find. without offending anyone here (and in a slightly irritated tone), i didn't pay $24000 for a bike that won't start anytime i want it to. my honda ran like a swiss watch and never hesitated to start (ever), so i'm none too pleased with this issue. i'm hoping it's just a simple fix or software update because i don't want to fight BMWofNA to get my bike working like it did when it was new. i always let the computer and dash cycle fully before starting as someone once told me that it's best. i hadn't tried to start it cold without letting this happen.

thanks again everyone...

BMWofSF reports that after they checked fault codes (none present), reset mixture preparation adaptation values, it started without hesitation. i found it interesting that they performed the work first and then attempted to start it. at the end of the day, the bike seems to start as expected.

let's hope this is the end of the problem.

My 2009 Dyna Super Glide is not a high-compression machine, but I used to have issues getting it to turn over in the summer sometimes. I had the stock cams replaced with S&S Easy-Start cams which have a build-in compression release function. After that the motor spins over with ease. My R1200R LC has a 12.5:1 compression ration. I wondered if the motor has compression releases installed or not. It does spin over easily though.

Pete

Last edited:
Back