• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 s1000xr

I got snowed out... :cry

But thanks for asking, Steve, and at least my retirement (maybe, someday) portfolio is intact.

Last edited:
A little snow helped you keep your dollars for now...:burnout

I rode one, but a short run and buzzy bars was not going through my mind:uhoh

My Thoughts on the XR

I bought a XR in mid February to add to the garage ( 2006 HD Softail, 2012 Ducati Diavel, 1995 Kawasaki Concours) after riding the MultiStrada and thinking real hard about the KTM 1290GT ( but that bike won't make it to the states until late this year). Since I already had a Duc, I found the Multi to be very similar although considerably taller and a bit easier to "flick" since the wheel base is shorter. I ride quite a bit with the "youngsters" up at Texas A&M and those guys are all on Sport bikes for the most part. I needed something that would "keep up" if I wanted to ride that hard. The Diavel would do it but it's a bunch to throw around a 15 mph , 90 degree corner ( ask me how I know) at speed.

The XR is light, smooth and just down right scary with power! I have put a set of Akrapovic Headers on it (but kept the stock slip-on) and on the dyno it laid down 153 HP to the rear wheel and 79 ft lb of torque. It's fast, bloody fast......

I too have a short inseam and although I did put a Corbin seat on it for comfort, I had them do a "neck" job on it so I can get to the ground on both sides at stops by sliding forward just a bit ( otherwise the Corbin raise the seat height another 25 mm). I have just over 2,000 miles on it now and we're headed for Arkansas in a couple of weeks to do some more "mountain riding" which is what this bike loves to do!!!!

Attachments

• Seat_Bags.jpg
    Seat_Bags.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 197
  • S1000XR20160402.jpg
    S1000XR20160402.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 195
Welcome aboard txsailor:wave

Have fun in Arkansas...I had opportunity to swap rides there a few weekends back, but the swapee with the XR was height challenged on my GSA. Have ridden one, but must stay away:laugh
Next replacement here in our two pilot household is H's pick and probably another R12R:love

I bought a XR in mid February...

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for the report. I was interested in how you thought the XR compared to the Multi.

Steve: Found out today that I get another shot at the XR in July. :clap We should be past the snow season by then. :D

Last edited:
XR vrs Multi

Rinty - The Multistrada is a nice bike but is a bit "crude" around the edges when compared to the XR IMHO. The transmission shifting is one of the most notable things. The Ducati is a "truck" compared to the buttery smooth BMW. And of course the quickshifter up and down makes a world of difference as well. I think the XrR feels and acts much "lighter" on the handling ( that could have been the tires as well) but there is no doubt the Duc has some torque down low. I find that I have to keep the XR above 4k to be "comfortably " on the torque curve.

When I ride my Diavel, I'm usually shifting by 4 to 5 k!!!! The XR is quick, very quick even compared to the Diavel. Both will snap you ears back but the horsepower of the HR at 65 plus mph makes passing a walk in the park. The Diavel will do almost as good but you find your "finish" speed on the XR to be much higher. I did 5 cars the other day starting at 65 and ending at 115 indicated but I did drop a gear to do it. It was a rather short section of clear road ahead. I probably would not have attempted that many on the Diavel.

Looking forward to two up and the ride in Arkansas since I have done many of the same roads on the Ducati.

Cheers, D

First Impressions-- XR

I ordered my bike a few months ago, taking an April production slot my local dealer in the Dominican Republic had and changing a few options.

I finally got my bike late Friday afternoon after what seemed like an eternal wait, the worst part being the last 5 weeks with the bike in customs (a change of customs agent and a delayed bill of lading complicated the process). My wife is relieved my boxes of farkles have disappeared from our dining room and their contents are duly mounted on the new bike: Corbin saddle, Remus exhaust, bar risers, front and rear fender extenders, crash bars, radiator protectors, fork sliders, widened kickstand base , gps, and a taller windscreen.

I glued myself to the saddle yesterday, from 7:30 am to noon heading from Santo Domingo to the central mountains and back. First impressions:

The Overwhelming Positives

- Linear acceleration, excellent brakes, handles well in mountain curves.
- It will take a while for me to figure out the expanded limits afforded by the bike's electronics.
- it is very cool to accelerate without letting off the throttle and without the clutch...it sounds like an F1 screaming through the gears.
- the Remus exhaust sounds nice at higher revs (looks great too in carbon fiber)
- the tall windscreen is a must for me (6'0") at higher speeds. What a difference between low position and high in terms of buffeting

The Negatives

- the gear shift feel is a bit clunky compared to the best conventional shifters I've had
- Torque is adequate but coming from twins it does not have the low end grunt I'd gotten used to (once it screams, the high end hp more than makes up for this)
- this bike chugs fuel...I fueled twice as much as I would have on my former Adv 1190

I'm very happy with the bike. I can't wait to complete this first 1000kms to unleash the final 3000rpm of rev range.

Steve

PS: I felt no handlebar buzz...not sure if the factory has implemented a correction.

Last edited:
Got my XR 5 weeks ago and love it

Got my XR 5 weeks ago and love it, have 2300 miles already. My Buell Ulysses is jealous as it hasn't even been started let alone ridden since getting the XR. still getting used to the extra rpms, I find myself short shifting it between 4 and 5k.

Chris:wave

First time BMW owner

Purchased my XR at Eurosport Asheville back in July of this year. Great experience in dealing with them! I could feel the passion and enthusiasm of all who that I came in contact with at this dealer. Just turned 7000 miles on the XR and it has been a great motorcycle. Vib issue was very slight but when I installed handlebar bar ends it became a non-issue. I`ve done many more add-ons, accessories, etc to make it an even more awesome motorcycle! In my 40 yrs of motorcycling I have owned 15 motorcycles and would rank the XR in the top 2. Its a very versatile motorcycle for all the things I need in a bike! Looking forward to a lot more riding adventures with it!

2dhzqeo.jpg

Purchased my XR at Eurosport Asheville back in July of this year...

Welcome, and nice looking machine. Looks like you were able to squeeze in a fall ride before the weather turned.

Last edited:
Try a different windshield on the XR?

I've had my XR for a few months now and love it. Heavier bar end weights and installing the new rubber mounts mitigated some of the handlebar buzz. Love the red one but the last one (2016) at the dealer was white. Oh well. Still a good looking bike. Has anyone tried a different windshield? I like the look of the stock shield but do get some buffeting and noise.

I got my bar end weights from HVMP. Beautifully made from stainless steel and powder coated black. They work with or without the factory hand guards. My experience has been they reduce the vibration feel in the 4.5 to 6K range to practically nothing. The weights match the aesthetics of the bike. This was a very worthwhile purchase for my XR. Once ordered I got delivery within 3 days to CA. A number of members to the S1000XR forum have had similar good experience with this vendor.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-S1000XR-Bar-Ends-p/bmw-s1000xr-bar-ends.htm

From Montreal, I ordered those bars weight in England, made for the handle with protectors (made in 2 parts) , it took 10 days to get it. 62$

https://evotech-performance.com/products/bmw-s-1000-xr-handlebar-end-weights-2015-1

It made a big difference. Will add a photo tomorrow

P.S. If it's sold out, give your email and you get response when they have more (I had to wait for 2 weeks)

Éric

Vibey mirrors

At speed, my mirrors are not very useful because of the vibration. I had the dealer install the new rubber bushings and I put heavier bar end weights on. The handlebar vibration does not really bother me, but it does blur the mirrors. Anyone have a fix for them? Has anyone tried adding lead shot into the bars?

Back