Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2016 s1000xr

Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    I recently tested the new bar end weights from suburban machinery, I believe they will satisfy those who find the bar vibe @ 5K RPM a concern... I have asked them to consider making the version that is fitted without hand guards in a black finish, as the current shiny bits really miss the mark aesthetically.

www.suburban-machinery.com
    I got my bar end weights from HVMP. Beautifully made from stainless steel and powder coated black. They work with or without the factory hand guards. My experience has been they reduce the vibration feel in the 4.5 to 6K range to practically nothing. The weights match the aesthetics of the bike. This was a very worthwhile purchase for my XR. Once ordered I got delivery within 3 days to CA. A number of members to the S1000XR forum have had similar good experience with this vendor.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-S1000XR-Bar-...r-bar-ends.htm
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    I got my bar end weights from HVMP. Beautifully made from stainless steel and powder coated black. They work with or without the factory hand guards. My experience has been they reduce the vibration feel in the 4.5 to 6K range to practically nothing. The weights match the aesthetics of the bike. This was a very worthwhile purchase for my XR. Once ordered I got delivery within 3 days to CA. A number of members to the S1000XR forum have had similar good experience with this vendor.

I got my RT ones from them too as well as for other bikes in the past. Great quality product.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post

Thank you... will explore this path!
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

I've got the Grip Buddies on my Hexhead. They work really well.
    Rinty

"When you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Sat on the dealer's XR demo yesterday and my first impression was that it is cramped - too much knee bend. Several of the posts above refer to the bike's seat height but no one's commented as to the ergos. I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit, or was I imagining something that's really not a problem? (I've been fine on stock RT's and GS's).

I know I need to take her for a ride to determine for myself whether I'm comfortable, but would like to know any impressions from the long-legged folks. Also, I need to check that bar end vibration issue.
    '17 R1200GS.
    Priors: '16 R1200R, '14 R1200GS, '13 K1600GT, '08 R1200RT, '04 R1150RT, '05 R1200GS, '73 R75/5 (LWB).

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit...
    The high seat is 33.7", and I have to think that would provide you plenty of room.

I also have a 34" inseam, and the XR's big frame is one of its biggest appeals for me. When I got my R1200ST, I found the footpeg position to be really cramped, but a Verholen kit eliminated the problem. It's good for a 40mm change on the ST. They already have a kit for the XR; good for a 20 mm change:

http://pirateslair.net/PeglowS1000XR.htm
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by sailorlite View Post
    Sat on the dealer's XR demo yesterday and my first impression was that it is cramped - too much knee bend. Several of the posts above refer to the bike's seat height but no one's commented as to the ergos. I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit, or was I imagining something that's really not a problem? (I've been fine on stock RT's and GS's).

I know I need to take her for a ride to determine for myself whether I'm comfortable, but would like to know any impressions from the long-legged folks. Also, I need to check that bar end vibration issue.
    Yes, you need to consider the tall seat as your first impression was spot on and the same as mine. It is not as spacious as the GS or the RT that is for sure. The footpeg lowering kit may be an option but this bike is more than capable of scraping the footpegs at the current height. It is up to you how hard you will be cornering.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac View Post
    Yes, you need to consider the tall seat as your first impression was spot on and the same as mine. It is not as spacious as the GS or the RT that is for sure. The footpeg lowering kit may be an option but this bike is more than capable of scraping the footpegs at the current height. It is up to you how hard you will be cornering.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Any questions, just ask.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Experiment a bit at http://cycle-ergo.com/. It lets you see the effects of extended bars, higher seats, lowered pegs, longer legs, etc. It can clearly show the differences in riding position between two or more bikes. In most cases, a mouse with a scroll wheel will even let you superimpose the scaled image of one bike & rider on another, making for easy comparisons with your current bike.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

So I'm demoing an XR next week. I'm actually kind of stoked about it.

Hope it's too buzzy for me.....
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    So I'm demoing an XR next week. I'm actually kind of stoked about it.

Hope it's too buzzy for me.....
    And
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

I got snowed out...

But thanks for asking, Steve, and at least my retirement (maybe, someday) portfolio is intact.
    Last edited by Rinty; 05-19-2016 at 03:37 AM.
    Rinty

A little snow helped you keep your dollars for now...

I rode one, but a short run and buzzy bars was not going through my mind
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I rode one, but a short run and buzzy bars....
    Well, I found out from riding an HP2 E that if you have a buzzy, un-counterbalanced engine in a frame with a "hard" front end, your hands may numb out in short order.
    Rinty

My Thoughts on the XR

I bought a XR in mid February to add to the garage ( 2006 HD Softail, 2012 Ducati Diavel, 1995 Kawasaki Concours) after riding the MultiStrada and thinking real hard about the KTM 1290GT ( but that bike won't make it to the states until late this year). Since I already had a Duc, I found the Multi to be very similar although considerably taller and a bit easier to "flick" since the wheel base is shorter. I ride quite a bit with the "youngsters" up at Texas A&M and those guys are all on Sport bikes for the most part. I needed something that would "keep up" if I wanted to ride that hard. The Diavel would do it but it's a bunch to throw around a 15 mph , 90 degree corner ( ask me how I know) at speed.

The XR is light, smooth and just down right scary with power! I have put a set of Akrapovic Headers on it (but kept the stock slip-on) and on the dyno it laid down 153 HP to the rear wheel and 79 ft lb of torque. It's fast, bloody fast......

I too have a short inseam and although I did put a Corbin seat on it for comfort, I had them do a "neck" job on it so I can get to the ground on both sides at stops by sliding forward just a bit ( otherwise the Corbin raise the seat height another 25 mm). I have just over 2,000 miles on it now and we're headed for Arkansas in a couple of weeks to do some more "mountain riding" which is what this bike loves to do!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images