• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 s1000xr

Only thing I don't like about my S1kR is that it will cook your left leg in at red lights. Does the XR do this at all? The XR was just hitting the US when I got the single R this summer and I am wondering if I should have waited.

Only thing I don't like about my S1kR is that it will cook your left leg in at red lights. Does the XR do this at all? The XR was just hitting the US when I got the single R this summer and I am wondering if I should have waited.

Welcome to the forum!
Gary

I have yet to feel any heat like that coming off the engine. It does get hotter than my K1600, mostly when at a stand still and the radiator fan is going. I alos found that it is the right side where you feel the most heat, not the left. Regardless, its not a skin blistering heat or even an annoyance, but it is noticeable.

I haven't noticed heat any greater than my water-cooled GSA when running in slow moving traffic. Once underway no heat noticed and that is in 95 to 105f weather. The fan does come on at 212F which is common in slow traffic. It quickly brings the engine temp down and repeats as the temp rises again once the fan goes off while still moving slowly. I have 2000 miles on my XR and it has smoothed out and runs better than ever. It's hard to ride any thing else when this bike does so many things really well.

I have yet to feel any heat like that coming off the engine. It does get hotter than my K1600, mostly when at a stand still and the radiator fan is going. I alos found that it is the right side where you feel the most heat, not the left. Regardless, its not a skin blistering heat or even an annoyance, but it is noticeable.

I haven't noticed heat any greater than my water-cooled GSA when running in slow moving traffic. Once underway no heat noticed and that is in 95 to 105f weather. The fan does come on at 212F which is common in slow traffic. It quickly brings the engine temp down and repeats as the temp rises again once the fan goes off while still moving slowly. I have 2000 miles on my XR and it has smoothed out and runs better than ever. It's hard to ride any thing else when this bike does so many things really well.

Thank you for the info. Yeah it only tries to burn me up when I'm stopped and the radiator fan kicks in. Hardly noticed when wearing gear but the rare time i have been out in shorts its a fast attention getter. Might try to talk the fiance into a second bike in the future :hide

The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden. I put 2000 miles on our demo, would still be riding it if I could get away with it. If I could swing two bike payments, there would be a Red Low Suspension XR in my private stable - no doubt.

The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden.
+1 for the above. I've got almost 6,000 miles on mine now after only having it a month. One 1,000 mile day, then a 619 followed by a 767 mile day. Incredible how comortable it is on the road in addition to being such a killer in the mountain curves. Most fun bike I've ever ridden in my life, let alone owned.

Best BMW ever

Just found this thread but agree with most of the above comments
I bought this bike in June and have 16K miles on it. Way too tall for my 28" inseam but light enough to handle. Have had it on the track, in the Rockies, the heat of South Carolina and just carving up the roads of New England. I weigh 230 and the stock seat actually works for me. BUzz??? Fill the bars with lead shot. Must of done some work in the wind tunnel also because the body work/windscreen keeps the buffeting to a minimum for my 5'10" frame.
Only complaint is the 200 mile range before fueling....I came off a 2005 RT with 7.1 gallon tank :)

I recently tested the new bar end weights from suburban machinery, I believe they will satisfy those who find the bar vibe @ 5K RPM a concern... I have asked them to consider making the version that is fitted without hand guards in a black finish, as the current shiny bits really miss the mark aesthetically.

www.suburban-machinery.com

The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden. I put 2000 miles on our demo, would still be riding it if I could get away with it. If I could swing two bike payments, there would be a Red Low Suspension XR in my private stable - no doubt.
Good to see you back posting.
OM

I recently tested the new bar end weights from suburban machinery, I believe they will satisfy those who find the bar vibe @ 5K RPM a concern... I have asked them to consider making the version that is fitted without hand guards in a black finish, as the current shiny bits really miss the mark aesthetically.

www.suburban-machinery.com

I got my bar end weights from HVMP. Beautifully made from stainless steel and powder coated black. They work with or without the factory hand guards. My experience has been they reduce the vibration feel in the 4.5 to 6K range to practically nothing. The weights match the aesthetics of the bike. This was a very worthwhile purchase for my XR. Once ordered I got delivery within 3 days to CA. A number of members to the S1000XR forum have had similar good experience with this vendor.

http://www.hvmp.com/BMW-S1000XR-Bar-Ends-p/bmw-s1000xr-bar-ends.htm

I got my bar end weights from HVMP. Beautifully made from stainless steel and powder coated black. They work with or without the factory hand guards. My experience has been they reduce the vibration feel in the 4.5 to 6K range to practically nothing. The weights match the aesthetics of the bike. This was a very worthwhile purchase for my XR. Once ordered I got delivery within 3 days to CA. A number of members to the S1000XR forum have had similar good experience with this vendor.

I got my RT ones from them too as well as for other bikes in the past. Great quality product.

Thank you... will explore this path!

Sat on the dealer's XR demo yesterday and my first impression was that it is cramped - too much knee bend. Several of the posts above refer to the bike's seat height but no one's commented as to the ergos. I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit, or was I imagining something that's really not a problem? (I've been fine on stock RT's and GS's).

I know I need to take her for a ride to determine for myself whether I'm comfortable, but would like to know any impressions from the long-legged folks. Also, I need to check that bar end vibration issue.

I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit...

The high seat is 33.7", and I have to think that would provide you plenty of room.

I also have a 34" inseam, and the XR's big frame is one of its biggest appeals for me. When I got my R1200ST, I found the footpeg position to be really cramped, but a Verholen kit eliminated the problem. It's good for a 40mm change on the ST. They already have a kit for the XR; good for a 20 mm change:

http://pirateslair.net/PeglowS1000XR.htm

Sat on the dealer's XR demo yesterday and my first impression was that it is cramped - too much knee bend. Several of the posts above refer to the bike's seat height but no one's commented as to the ergos. I have a 34" inseam - do I need to consider the XR "tall" seat, or a footpeg lowering kit, or was I imagining something that's really not a problem? (I've been fine on stock RT's and GS's).

I know I need to take her for a ride to determine for myself whether I'm comfortable, but would like to know any impressions from the long-legged folks. Also, I need to check that bar end vibration issue.

Yes, you need to consider the tall seat as your first impression was spot on and the same as mine. It is not as spacious as the GS or the RT that is for sure. The footpeg lowering kit may be an option but this bike is more than capable of scraping the footpegs at the current height. It is up to you how hard you will be cornering.

Yes, you need to consider the tall seat as your first impression was spot on and the same as mine. It is not as spacious as the GS or the RT that is for sure. The footpeg lowering kit may be an option but this bike is more than capable of scraping the footpegs at the current height. It is up to you how hard you will be cornering.

Welcome to the forum!
Any questions, just ask.
Gary

Experiment a bit at http://cycle-ergo.com/. It lets you see the effects of extended bars, higher seats, lowered pegs, longer legs, etc. It can clearly show the differences in riding position between two or more bikes. In most cases, a mouse with a scroll wheel will even let you superimpose the scaled image of one bike & rider on another, making for easy comparisons with your current bike.

So I'm demoing an XR next week. I'm actually kind of stoked about it.

Hope it's too buzzy for me.....:D

Back