Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2016 s1000xr

Good for her!

Are those OEM option handguards?
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post

Good for her!

Are those OEM option handguards?
    Hand Guards, Panniers, Engine Guards, and Fork Sliders are all OEM.
    ---
    Jess & Christine, the Chauffeurs, for Tobi & Skye the Border Collies.
    2013 K1600 GTL (the boys' ride), 2016 S1000XR (The grrrl's ride)
    Motorcycle Safety Foundation Coach#166465

Hi Jess and Christine, welcome... still smiling after a few weeks with the new bike? Have an F800R and spending lots of $$ to customize it for a taller rider and longer trips. Stopped at a local dealer and compared the XR to a 800 & 1200 GS. Need the height (34" inseam), maneuverability for living in a city, but look forward to the weekends to hit the road and head to the country (2 times to the cape, but most often to western MA, ME, NH, VT).

Looking for a bike that can handle city needs (traffic, lights, dumb drivers, etc...) and feel great if I take off for a long weekend touring. Curious on how it is working for Christine (and you if she lets you use it)..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gmshuman View Post
    Hi Jess and Christine, welcome... still smiling after a few weeks with the new bike? Have an F800R and spending lots of $$ to customize it for a taller rider and longer trips. Stopped at a local dealer and compared the XR to a 800 & 1200 GS. Need the height (34" inseam), maneuverability for living in a city, but look forward to the weekends to hit the road and head to the country (2 times to the cape, but most often to western MA, ME, NH, VT).

Looking for a bike that can handle city needs (traffic, lights, dumb drivers, etc...) and feel great if I take off for a long weekend touring. Curious on how it is working for Christine (and you if she lets you use it)..

Thanks
    Chris loves the bike. The main issues are those that are mentioned by most XR owners:
    Handlebar (left mostly) vibration; this has got less significant after her first service (I saw them re-torqueing the riser bolts)
    Windshield coverage; same as a GS, but Christine came off a Street Glide, and her K1600 before that. I like the smaller windscreen, as it is a change from my K1600. Different type and even brand helmets can change this as well.
    Seat: She yet to find a stock seat on any brand Motorcycle that is comfortable out of the box. I feel like it pushes you towards the tank a bit too much (vulnerable sensitive parts).

Holy carp this thing is fast. Chris has arthritis setting in, and really enjoys the shift-assist. She has already (more than once) nearly stalled it forgetting she had to use the clutch when stopping. It is quick compared to the K1600 (not a LOT more, but still ); the K1600 feels much more refined (6 vs 4 cylinder I suspect).

As for our body type fits: We leave the ESA set for one-rider, no luggage (the lowest setting). The bike is about 3/4" too tall for chris's 31" inseam; she cannot flat-foot it. I have a 30" inseam, and I can stand with it; fortunately it is so light that I can just flat foot to one side with no stability issues. I suspect we will send the seat off to be redone, and lowered half a inch or so. The dealer didn't have any low seats when we purchased the bike.

I think it would make a great commuter, the side bags are a good size, and add virtually no weight (by themselves) to the bike. We opted to not get the top box in favor of getting a soft bag at some point. Even though its a new "model", a lot of the S1000R and RR parts fit, so I suspect the 3rd party farkle makers will have items for it quite quickly.
    ---

Thanks Jess and hope Tobi enjoys the new ride....

Registered User andrewbrandon19's Avatar
    Only thing I don't like about my S1kR is that it will cook your left leg in at red lights. Does the XR do this at all? The XR was just hitting the US when I got the single R this summer and I am wondering if I should have waited.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrandon19 View Post
    Only thing I don't like about my S1kR is that it will cook your left leg in at red lights. Does the XR do this at all? The XR was just hitting the US when I got the single R this summer and I am wondering if I should have waited.
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by andrewbrandon19 View Post
    I have yet to feel any heat like that coming off the engine. It does get hotter than my K1600, mostly when at a stand still and the radiator fan is going. I alos found that it is the right side where you feel the most heat, not the left. Regardless, its not a skin blistering heat or even an annoyance, but it is noticeable.
    ---

I haven't noticed heat any greater than my water-cooled GSA when running in slow moving traffic. Once underway no heat noticed and that is in 95 to 105f weather. The fan does come on at 212F which is common in slow traffic. It quickly brings the engine temp down and repeats as the temp rises again once the fan goes off while still moving slowly. I have 2000 miles on my XR and it has smoothed out and runs better than ever. It's hard to ride any thing else when this bike does so many things really well.
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Registered User andrewbrandon19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bikers1collie View Post
    I have yet to feel any heat like that coming off the engine. It does get hotter than my K1600, mostly when at a stand still and the radiator fan is going. I alos found that it is the right side where you feel the most heat, not the left. Regardless, its not a skin blistering heat or even an annoyance, but it is noticeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    I haven't noticed heat any greater than my water-cooled GSA when running in slow moving traffic. Once underway no heat noticed and that is in 95 to 105f weather. The fan does come on at 212F which is common in slow traffic. It quickly brings the engine temp down and repeats as the temp rises again once the fan goes off while still moving slowly. I have 2000 miles on my XR and it has smoothed out and runs better than ever. It's hard to ride any thing else when this bike does so many things really well.
    Thank you for the info. Yeah it only tries to burn me up when I'm stopped and the radiator fan kicks in. Hardly noticed when wearing gear but the rare time i have been out in shorts its a fast attention getter. Might try to talk the fiance into a second bike in the future
    2015 BMW S1000R - The DD
    2014 Toyota Taco - The "guess its raining today"
    2013 Harley Davidson 883 Sportster - SOLD
    2006 Pontiac GTO - SOLD

The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden. I put 2000 miles on our demo, would still be riding it if I could get away with it. If I could swing two bike payments, there would be a Red Low Suspension XR in my private stable - no doubt.
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

[QUOTE=RYD1WD;1016910]The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden. [QUOTE]

+1 for the above. I've got almost 6,000 miles on mine now after only having it a month. One 1,000 mile day, then a 619 followed by a 767 mile day. Incredible how comortable it is on the road in addition to being such a killer in the mountain curves. Most fun bike I've ever ridden in my life, let alone owned.
    Motorcycle Adventure Addict, Former Action Guy, Devil Dog, Motor Officer, Firefighter, Paramedic. Motorcycled to the Arctic Ocean North of Prudhoe Bay. Stood on the Arctic ice. Said, "Been there, done that." Turned around and drove straight to Key West, Southernmost Point in the US. 13,500m 30days

Best BMW ever

Just found this thread but agree with most of the above comments
    I bought this bike in June and have 16K miles on it. Way too tall for my 28" inseam but light enough to handle. Have had it on the track, in the Rockies, the heat of South Carolina and just carving up the roads of New England. I weigh 230 and the stock seat actually works for me. BUzz??? Fill the bars with lead shot. Must of done some work in the wind tunnel also because the body work/windscreen keeps the buffeting to a minimum for my 5'10" frame.
    Only complaint is the 200 mile range before fueling....I came off a 2005 RT with 7.1 gallon tank
    Bill Kenney
    Foster,RI

I recently tested the new bar end weights from suburban machinery, I believe they will satisfy those who find the bar vibe @ 5K RPM a concern... I have asked them to consider making the version that is fitted without hand guards in a black finish, as the current shiny bits really miss the mark aesthetically.

www.suburban-machinery.com
    Greg North - Sport-Touring Junkie - BMW Brand Manager, BMW Motorcycles Of Charlotte
    There are motorcycle owners, and there are motorcycle riders.
    And then there are those of us for who motorcycling is an essential part of our journey - a way of life, and looking at it. Ride to LIVE, live to RIDE.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RYD1WD View Post
    The S1000XR is the most precise, linear handling, and addicting motorcycle I have ever ridden. I put 2000 miles on our demo, would still be riding it if I could get away with it. If I could swing two bike payments, there would be a Red Low Suspension XR in my private stable - no doubt.
    Good to see you back posting.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200