• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2016 s1000xr

maysclan

Hello,

No where else to post this and wanted to gather thoughts and information in the newest bike from BMW. I just purchased a 2016 S1000XR last week and have enjoyed putting on the first 800 miles. Being 6'5" I find it to uncomfortable to ride a true sport bike and love the XR. I was looking for some data regarding performance numbers on my bike. Also, looking forward to the aftermarket adding items. First, is a more comfortable seat for my pillion rider. The bike is amazing and even performs well 2 up. Look forward to sharing if anyone has any questions.

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 904
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 897
Welcome to MOA, Chris, and great pick.

When I was in Ireland a few weeks ago, I picked up a magazine called "Motorcycle Sport & Leisure". The deputy editor, Chris Wilson writes that the XR is "...one of the best road-focused bikes I've ever ridden..." and that "...it is the ultimate compromise between sports and touring...." Sorry, they didn't publish performance data (nor have the other magazines I've looked at), but as you know, it's a rocket. :)

FWIW, :D I would think this bike could run a quarter mile in the 10's and have a top speed in excess of 160 mph. We might have to turn Valerie Thompson loose on one, to find out. :D

:wave Welcome Chris,

Everyone is not liking you right now because you have one... nice choice anyways:thumb

I sat on one and as a less than 6 foot 5 person can say they built that bike for you. It's taller than my wife's 1200GS.

Tested one at my dealer last Wednesday and bought it with no hesitation. From what I had researched this bike sounded good, but the ride sealed the deal. I am 6"0" and find the bike manageable with both feet on the ground. This was with the ESA set to one helmet preload. The preload setting will have a big impact on the seat height. I knew it would be fast, but the bike performed as a missile when getting on a long uphill on-ramp. What really surprised me was the city manners of this high performance bike. In stop and go surface street riding the engine was smooth and docile not hinting at it's performance potential. The clutch and gear box were buttery smooth and easy to manage in street traffic. Once on the freeway it was well composed and very stable. The ergonomics were similar to my 14 GSA except the foot peg position was more tucked in. You will know immediately if the position works for you.

I am anxiously awaiting Wednesday to pick up this bike. I live three hours from the dealer so it will be picked up with my trailer. I think Thursday will be the first real ride, can't wait!

So, tall, a bit top heavy, a bit heavy moving around in a parking lot. Really fast and the rev limiter was set at 9k. Great handling and comfort. Windshield is meh -- too much noise in both positions.

I have a whopping 300 miles on my new XR. Those miles have been in my backyard, mountains and high altitude passes. This bike rails through turns wit great confidence and the acceleration is phenomenal. It's the bike I hoped for. One must go in with realistic expectations. The emphasis is sport so it is a hard edged device. The ride is very firm and the engine produces vibrations between 5-6K rpm. The vibrations are no more than a tingle that is easily mitigated with a light grip on the bars when it is in the worse RPM zone. I can see doing 500 mile days with no issues other than refueling twice as often as my GSA. I have been able to get 200 miles between fuel stops. No problem with the small windshield in the low position. I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro with earplugs. I can still listen to Bluetooth music at highway cruise speed clearly. This bike produces more grins per mile than any thing I've ridden in the last 50 years.IMG_0193.jpg

Last edited:
Really like the red version. Thanks for the input, I too am used to the tanker GSA's range but could adapt :D
Hopefully you have more miles by today...I would!

Well, we went to our dealer (also a Indian, KTM, and Ducati Dealer). Christine traded in her 2014 Street Glide Special for a S1000XR (red) Premium Package. It should get delivered to us later this week.
The best part is I get to ride it a lot! Her HD just was not fun to ride at all (compared to my K1600), and she decided the same thing hence her change of bike back to BMW (she also had a K1600 before the HD).

Well, in the 7 years I've known her (and gotten married to her), she has owned:
2005 HD Sportster Custom
2008 HD Softail Deluxe
2010 HD Ultra-Classic
2013 BMW K1600GTL
2014 HD Street Glide Special
2016 BMW S1000XR

She definitely likes the cruisers, but Chris is ready for a change. The move back to the FLHTXS from the K1600GTL really made evident the huge performance gap between the two brands.
We tested the Ducati Multistrata and both felt it was uncomfortable (she really likes the looks though). I felt it (and the other twins we tested) to all be a bit full of vibration; likely because my K1600 is so smooooooth.
The KTM 1290 Super Adv we tested was about the same as the Multistrada, without the looks. Both seems to have a mid-range slump in power delivery, or at least they felt like it.
It ultimately came down between the R1200GSW and the S1000XR, and since we live on a (paved) spit of land sticking out in the ocean where motorcycles are not allowed on the beaches, she decided on the XR.

Now we are waiting to take delivery from our dealer (Wagner Motorsports in Worchester, MA) after they add the little bits and pieces we wanted on it; we are getting the Low Seat, Panniers, Axle sliders, Engine Bar Guards, Hand grip protectors and a Nav5.

I know we will have to add rock/debris guards for the radiators, iPhone handlebar mount, rear pannier tip-over guards (I doubt anyone makes these yet), and a new seat (or maybe modify the existing one, again) for Tobi.

What else am I missing? lol.

Really like the red version. Thanks for the input, I too am used to the tanker GSA's range but could adapt :D
Hopefully you have more miles by today...I would!

While it has been in record heat all this month I have squeezed in another 400 miles in two morning rides. Not that the miles matter that much, my rides have been in the mountains so hours and number of shifts are coming along nicely. I have become more familiar with the sweet spots of the engine power band and the optimal shift point of the gear shift assist pro. This is a very sweet ride. I will have to adjust for the fuel range of my other bike but this one can get 200 miles range if I try.

Had a chance to try the ABS Pro coming around a blind turn and discovering a herd of open range cattle in my path. The system allowed simultaneous braking and turning to avoid contact. Nice option for those times the unexpected is beyond sight in turns. Now I wish my GSA had this ABS system.

I will be doing my break-in service this weekend. It may be limited to 9K RPM until unlocked on the first service to 11K, but at the restrained redline it is very quick and offers more performance than any of my prior motorcycles. So far the bike is thrilling in terms of it's brake, engine, gearbox, and suspension performance. It is reasonably comfortable if you are use to the GS riding position. I am planning a 3000 mile ride in September that should give a better impression of what it is like living on this bike multiple days of high mileage riding.

Hi Jess and Christine, welcome... still smiling after a few weeks with the new bike? Have an F800R and spending lots of $$ to customize it for a taller rider and longer trips. Stopped at a local dealer and compared the XR to a 800 & 1200 GS. Need the height (34" inseam), maneuverability for living in a city, but look forward to the weekends to hit the road and head to the country (2 times to the cape, but most often to western MA, ME, NH, VT).

Looking for a bike that can handle city needs (traffic, lights, dumb drivers, etc...) and feel great if I take off for a long weekend touring. Curious on how it is working for Christine (and you if she lets you use it)..

Thanks

Hi Jess and Christine, welcome... still smiling after a few weeks with the new bike? Have an F800R and spending lots of $$ to customize it for a taller rider and longer trips. Stopped at a local dealer and compared the XR to a 800 & 1200 GS. Need the height (34" inseam), maneuverability for living in a city, but look forward to the weekends to hit the road and head to the country (2 times to the cape, but most often to western MA, ME, NH, VT).

Looking for a bike that can handle city needs (traffic, lights, dumb drivers, etc...) and feel great if I take off for a long weekend touring. Curious on how it is working for Christine (and you if she lets you use it)..

Thanks

Chris loves the bike. The main issues are those that are mentioned by most XR owners:
Handlebar (left mostly) vibration; this has got less significant after her first service (I saw them re-torqueing the riser bolts)
Windshield coverage; same as a GS, but Christine came off a Street Glide, and her K1600 before that. I like the smaller windscreen, as it is a change from my K1600. Different type and even brand helmets can change this as well.
Seat: She yet to find a stock seat on any brand Motorcycle that is comfortable out of the box. I feel like it pushes you towards the tank a bit too much (vulnerable sensitive parts).

Holy carp this thing is fast. Chris has arthritis setting in, and really enjoys the shift-assist. She has already (more than once) nearly stalled it forgetting she had to use the clutch when stopping. It is quick compared to the K1600 (not a LOT more, but still ); the K1600 feels much more refined (6 vs 4 cylinder I suspect).

As for our body type fits: We leave the ESA set for one-rider, no luggage (the lowest setting). The bike is about 3/4" too tall for chris's 31" inseam; she cannot flat-foot it. I have a 30" inseam, and I can stand with it; fortunately it is so light that I can just flat foot to one side with no stability issues. I suspect we will send the seat off to be redone, and lowered half a inch or so. The dealer didn't have any low seats when we purchased the bike.

I think it would make a great commuter, the side bags are a good size, and add virtually no weight (by themselves) to the bike. We opted to not get the top box in favor of getting a soft bag at some point. Even though its a new "model", a lot of the S1000R and RR parts fit, so I suspect the 3rd party farkle makers will have items for it quite quickly.

Back