• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Quick thoughts on Billings rally

BMW Test Rides

Great rally overall, except for the food availability (or lack of).

Our only additional gripe: waiting in line for an hour on the first day (Thursday morning) to sign up for BMW test rides. Getting to the front of the line and being told by Frau Motorrad "No, you cannot pre-register for demo rides for Friday or Saturday. Only for today."

I pointed out that a simple sign at the line-up entry point might have informed us (and others) of that fact, and thanked them for wasting an hour of our lives. :banghead

We had cabbed over without riding gear to the rally on Thursday, as we were signed up for the brew pub tour that afternoon.

Ironically my home dealer was hosting BMW Motorrad Canada test rides the same weekend as the rally. (Unlike the Triumph dealer, where EVERY Saturday is a test-ride day).

==Grizzler

Why don't we just pick the best of the best and simply return to the best? Set the parameters, check off the boxes, shouldn't be rocket science. Don't think I'd give a damn if the rally returned to the best venue even if we'd been there before. Change just for change sake can be enjoyed on the ride to and from.

I agree.
Seems like each year the organizers are constantly reinventing the wheel.

I suspect you would be near impossible to please judging by your comments. I noted the MOA President and his wife were camping onsite along with some other past presidents; they all looked like they were bathing regularly to me. Perhaps there are those on the board who do not camp due to health and mobility issues. No event that is on the scope of our rally is going to be issue free, but this rally was a good time for Annie and me. We saw many old friends, learned some things and were entertained. The secret is to know what is a reasonable complaint and what is whining.

No good deed goes unpunished.

I had no problem with the showers. Remember it's fire season here in the west. A lot of the fire crews rely on shower trailers. They're not so easy to come by this time of year.

As a first time rally goer I didn't have any pre conceived ideas of how things would be and I really enjoyed myself. The food was ok and reasonable, the BEER was fantastic, I was expecting Bud and Bud Light and got ambers, IPAs, porters and at 2 bucks a mug a great deal.

I have to mention the vendors, they were all very helpful and willing to talk if you had a particular issue or problem. The Ohlins guys especially, they spent over an hour checking and setting up my shocks that the previous owner had installed on my bike and did not want any money. They also took the time to explain all the setting that can be done on the bike.

I only stood in line for 1 shower and that was because I was too lazy to trek to the arena. More food choices would have been nice and next time I'll make the effort to get into the city for more variety.

Thanks to the organizers and all the volunteers !!!

My only input was the lack of a BMW dealer to sell BMW gear I guess the closest dealers didn't think it would be worth thei time to showcase their wares at the International Rally. A friend had gift certificates for hundreds of dollars in BMW parts and clothes and couldn't use them so he spent his money on Klim and Tourtech.

I think the closest dealer was 350 miles away

A comment and two gripes.

1. It's a fairgrounds. If you want private bathing facilities, don't camp. I camped several nights on the way home, and I assure you, the showers in the arena building were way better than most state park and national forest facilities (when they have showers at all). There was no line at the arena when I showered. By the way, Billings was not "run down" compared to Bloomsburg. The buildings we used were modern and had functioning cooling systems.

2. The volunteer who checked me in could have had better training. He spent at least two minutes unfurling a doom-and-gloom scenario about how hard it was going to be to find a camping spot. I was a late arrival on Friday and had no problem finding a semi-shade spot, albeit with lots of traffic noise. I always wear earplugs anyway. I knew what to expect, but a first-timer might have been put off by the volunteer's negativity.

3. Shutting down all services, including water coolers in advance of the closing ceremonies seemed not so good. That included shutting down the beer garden. Most of us like to chat over a beer, with friends. Impossible to do in a loud arena--and that was the only place serving. I got out of there immediately after the closing ceremony. A sour note for me in an otherwise very well executed rally.

I think the closest dealer was 350 miles away

More like 260, in Sturgis, SD. I know, because I spent two fun-filled** days there waiting on my bike to be fixed after my driveshaft crapped. Excellent service, BTW, at Sturgis Motorsports. They got me back on the road as soon as humanly possible.

**As much fun as you can have with no wheels and the anxiety of a four-figure repair bill.

Billings Rally.

Simply disappointed. Did anybody compare this rally to Salem, OR?
Over there we had trailer showers with portable sinks to brush our teeth and shave, excellent food quarter with plenty of shaded under tents seating space, and a wonderful shuttle helping people to move through a facility.

Regardless of the best intentions and hard work from volunteers, this rally was a huge fiasco in my book - worst rally I ever attended.
And by the way, I wouldn't mind to pay extra for portable showers since jail style three post showers are not my cup of tee.
All this combined with the loud off ramp freeway location with trains and low flying planes was biggest joke one could imagine.
To say the least, I could not take this anymore and cut my stay in the "campsite" by the second day - too bad because I was waiting for this event since last summer.

A comment and two gripes.
3. Shutting down all services, including water coolers in advance of the closing ceremonies seemed not so good. That included shutting down the beer garden. Most of us like to chat over a beer, with friends. Impossible to do in a loud arena--and that was the only place serving. I got out of there immediately after the closing ceremony. A sour note for me in an otherwise very well executed rally.

Hi Paul ...
We had two beer gardens which worked well for the rally. The outside one was well used, due in a large part to the exceptional weather. The inside one was barely occupied thru much of the rally. But if the weather would have been Bloomsburg-Hot or rainy, the inside would have been busier. We asked the beer servers to close the outside venue for Saturday night, because our entertainment was slated for inside. I loved the outside venue best as well, but for the last big push, keeping it all indoors was the easiest to manage.

The water coolers were not intended to be the only hydration option for the rally guests. The coolers were filled by hard working volunteers who took the nights off so they could also enjoy some time at the rally. By Saturday evening, the coolers needed to be emptied and packed on the trailer for earlier departure on Sunday. We really expected people to bring in their own water from a grocery store or a gas station ... or fill their glasses from one of the faucets on the facility grounds. In retrospect, maybe furnishing any water at all is setting expectations, and needs to be addressed. I don't know. This is something we need to look at.
:dunno

Thanks for coming.

Sue

Hi Paul ...
We really expected people to bring in their own water from a grocery store or a gas station ... or fill their glasses from one of the faucets on the facility grounds. In retrospect, maybe furnishing any water at all is setting expectations, and needs to be addressed.

Sue, you've hit the nail on the head, which is better than hitting it with your tire. *rimshot*

Anyway, I think most folks assumed the water coolers would be there until Sunday morning. I appreciated the cold water all the other days. I can't remember if the map in the program showed the faucets or not. If it didn't, then you could anticipate more lines at sinks and showers to fill water bottles and/or bladder bags such as CamelBaks.

I think supplying water at summertime rally is critical.

Again, to me most of this is picking at nits as overall I had a great experience at the rally.

Sue, you've hit the nail on the head, which is better than hitting it with your tire. *rimshot*

Anyway, I think most folks assumed the water coolers would be there until Sunday morning. I appreciated the cold water all the other days. I can't remember if the map in the program showed the faucets or not. If it didn't, then you could anticipate more lines at sinks and showers to fill water bottles and/or bladder bags such as CamelBaks.

I think supplying water at summertime rally is critical.

Again, to me most of this is picking at nits as overall I had a great experience at the rally.

We saw people filling their Camelbacks and wetting down their cool vests at the water coolers, which were filled with ice. This was frustrating for those of us who were lifting 5 gallons of water at a time, continuously. Filling those jugs and lifting them on and off the carts and tables throughout the rally days was back-breaking work. Buying pallets of bottled water would be easier, but at crazy expensive costs.

I am an old-school sort of rider, and I use my rally mugs to get water from bathroom faucets at rallies, all the time. It never even occurred to me that others don't do this. I know .... huh! Who knew? Ah well - Lessons learned.

We saw people filling their Camelbacks and wetting down their cool vests at the water coolers, which were filled with ice. This was frustrating for those of us who were lifting 5 gallons of water at a time, continuously. Filling those jugs and lifting them on and off the carts and tables throughout the rally days was back-breaking work. Buying pallets of bottled water would be easier, but at crazy expensive costs.

I am an old-school sort of rider, and I use my rally mugs to get water from bathroom faucets at rallies, all the time. It never even occurred to me that others don't do this. I know .... huh! Who knew? Ah well - Lessons learned.

Sue,

It's really not a big deal--and perhaps my comments came off as too negative. It's readily apparent the organizers and volunteers worked their tails off. I had no problems filling my water containers (camelbak, mug, etc.) from faucets. It's just once in a while a cold drink felt good on a hot summer day. I have noticed--and this is not unique to Billings--that there's a certain "roll up the sidewalks" atmosphere to the rally as the closing ceremony approaches. I appreciate that it's been a long week and the closing ceremony is an opportunity for the organizers and volunteers to finally relax a bit and take a much-needed bow.

Perhaps my view is just a little colored by the fact I had a mechanical issue on the way to Billings, so "my rally" consisted of a late Friday arrival and trying to pack everything in on Saturday. And I missed the RPU class I was supposed to work on Thursday. :violin As I was marooned in Sturgis at the BMW shop I came very close to just heading east once my bike was fixed. But, I'm glad I didn't. Thanks again for a nice event.

The road noise was a bit loud at times, but it drowned out the normal hum of dozens of CPAP machines running late into the night, the occassional firing of a defib device and the ever present snoring. Yes, the silver lining approach.

It is obvious to me from some of the comments in this thread that some people just shouldn't go to rallies. The level of nirvana some folks seem to demand just doesn't happen when camping at a rally in a new little mini-city of a few thousand folks.

Showers were available. Water was available. Food was available. Shade was available. Air conditioned spaces for vendors and seminars were available. Grass to camp on was available.

If finding these things exceeded a person's situational awareness, then maybe a rally is the wrong place to be.

Early arrivals for volunteers

As a still somewhat newbie and volunteering at a rally for the first time, I arrived early on Wednesday to get a shady spot and was willing to work for that early arrival; unlike so many of the others arriving early. What's up with that?

I was disappointed in the lack of any type of information, site control, security, etc on Tuesday and Wednesday and even early Thursday. I think a bit more control of the site early should be looked into.

Maybe its just me but I was surprised how many folks show up early and expect, showers, water, shade, food, no lines, etc, and do nothing to help the event happen, this amazed me!

I help at a car show with over 11,000 cars, it takes over 2500 volunteers for the long weekend. We have tight security, before and during the event, the volunteers sign up in February, request up to 3 options and up to 3 shifts; the volunteers get assigned their shifts by a post card, In April. Volunteers get a shirt and are entered in drawings specifically for the volunteers. (a nice perk, but it costs $ and takes more volunteers to run the volunteer shifts scheduling)

Early arrival, I'm sure my comments will fire up a storm. Arrive early pay $15.00/night, work a volunteer shift get a nights lodging back, or sign up as a volunteer and get a card to get in early, or?

Or maybe its fine the way it is, I was just surprised so many early birds were not helping out.

I was also surprised that Billings had a noise ordinance that requires all cars and trucks to have as loud an exhaust as possible!!!

See you next year, RIDE SAFE!!!

Back