Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Brake Failure warning

  1. #16
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    ???
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  2. #17
    Blocking the slow lane
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    1,852
    Module Masters in Idaho just repaired the unit on my 08 GT with the same symptoms.....identical 24048 and 24049 codes and a steady Brake Failure light.

    Got the unit back last week, screwed the lines back in and bled the system, and still have the Brake Failure light!!

    GS-911 offers a ton of tests that you can do to the ABS unit, and my bike's modulator seems to respond just fine. Except when I actually take it out on the road.

    Debating whether or not to replace the sensor wires.......$119 apiece.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

  3. #18
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    Module Masters in Idaho just repaired the unit on my 08 GT with the same symptoms.....identical 24048 and 24049 codes and a steady Brake Failure light.

    Got the unit back last week, screwed the lines back in and bled the system, and still have the Brake Failure light!!

    GS-911 offers a ton of tests that you can do to the ABS unit, and my bike's modulator seems to respond just fine. Except when I actually take it out on the road.

    Debating whether or not to replace the sensor wires.......$119 apiece.
    Did you clear the fault codes?
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  4. #19
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,788
    Curious how others are fairing with this. Sorry perhaps I am not following protocol
    Hey Diaz when did you move South?

  5. #20
    Blocking the slow lane
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
    Did you clear the fault codes?
    I thought I did. But after 25 miles, the bike seems to have fixed them for me. I put 500 miles on last Sunday riding over to MotoGP without an issue.

    Bruce, we moved in May of 2014. I took a new job outside of St Louis.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

  6. #21
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    I thought I did. But after 25 miles, the bike seems to have fixed them for me. I put 500 miles on last Sunday riding over to MotoGP without an issue.
    Looks like problem solved! I should get my ABS module back from Idaho Thursday. Leaving early next Saturday on 4,000 mile trip so hope the install is uneventful.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  7. #22
    Blocking the slow lane
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
    Looks like problem solved! I should get my ABS module back from Idaho Thursday. Leaving early next Saturday on 4,000 mile trip so hope the install is uneventful.
    Re-bleeding the lines was a bit of a pain.....buy the quart can of brake fluid instead of a pint.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

  8. #23
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    Re-bleeding the lines was a bit of a pain.....buy the quart can of brake fluid instead of a pint.
    I bought a GS-911 to confirm that the ABS module was indeed the cause of my Brake Failure warning. I see it has a brake bleed test function. Did you use the device in the refilling and bleeding process?
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  9. #24
    Blocking the slow lane
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
    I bought a GS-911 to confirm that the ABS module was indeed the cause of my Brake Failure warning. I see it has a brake bleed test function. Did you use the device in the refilling and bleeding process?
    I didn't. Just used my manual bleeder.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

  10. #25
    A bozo on the bus deilenberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Spring Lake NJ, USA
    Posts
    8,554
    Quote Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
    I didn't. Just used my manual bleeder.
    You can trigger the same function (activating the ABS pump) with a simple trick.. turn the ignition on, spin the rear wheel, gently press the rear brake pedal down. You'll hear and feel the pump. This gets any trapped air out of the ABS pump.

    BTW - say hi to Sue for me!
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders
    '12 R1200R - I love this bike!

  11. #26
    Blocking the slow lane
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Edwardsville, IL
    Posts
    1,852
    Quote Originally Posted by deilenberger View Post
    You can trigger the same function (activating the ABS pump) with a simple trick.. turn the ignition on, spin the rear wheel, gently press the rear brake pedal down. You'll hear and feel the pump. This gets any trapped air out of the ABS pump.

    BTW - say hi to Sue for me!
    Why didn't you fix my bike when you visited? Thanks Don.
    Jon Diaz
    BMW K75/K12GT
    BMWMOA Ambassador

  12. #27
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395

    ABS module failure - all is well!

    Just to close this thread, Module Master got my ABS unit back to me a couple of days before leaving on a 4,000 mile trip out to Glacier NP and back. Install, brake fluid refill and bleed went smoothly. Absolutely no problems with brakes on trip. Fortunately, I didn't need to test the ABS function! I'm very happy with the service from MM and highly recommend them for this repair. With shipping and all, the job cost me ~ $600 but half of that was the price of the GS-911 (which wasn't essential but I've wanted one forever and this gave me the excuse I needed to buy one!). That pales in comparison to the nearly $3K it would have cost going to BMW. Another recent experience was replacing the Xenon headlamp; BMW wanted around $285 just for the part and the EXACT Philips lamp from Amazon was $65. I'm certainly not anti-dealer; I want mine to stay in business. But with pricing differences that dramatic I will continue to look to the aftermarket especially when recommended by my MOA brethren. Thanks to all who posted advice!
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •