Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: Brake Failure warning

  1. #1
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395

    Brake Failure warning

    2008 K1200GT with 32,500 miles. Brake Failure warning light came on (steady, not flashing) yesterday riding home from work. No recent work done that might affect wheel ABS sensors. Last brake service was one year ago - flushed both front and rear systems, pads renewed. Brakes seem to work normally, no strange noises, etc. I'm suspecting ABS module failure unless someone on the forum has other thoughts. Anything I should do before taking bike in for dealer diagnostics? Thanks.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  2. #2
    Registered User lazygoodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    76

    Brake failure warning

    I have the same exact issue. 2008 K1200GT, 30,500 miles. Light came on solid. GS911 shows the following (I hope this attachment works):
    GS911 fault K1200gt 28JL15.PNG

    I believe it must be some type of electrical issue where there is no power to the ABS module. I tried to clear the fault code, but no dice.
    Unlike DrPaul, I did just have 3 recalls completed at my dealer. Since that service work, I've had two rear brake lights go bad and this ABS fault in less than 200 miles of riding (seems odd).

    Thanks for any insight.
    Jim
    2008 K1200GT

  3. #3
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by lazygoodan View Post
    Unlike DrPaul, I did just have 3 recalls completed at my dealer. Since that service work, I've had two rear brake lights go bad and this ABS fault in less than 200 miles of riding (seems odd).
    Hmmm. Actually, I did have the bike in to the dealer three weeks ago for the rear wheel flange recall. I'm sure there is no connection ...
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  4. #4
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,788
    Suspect it is the ABS modulator, if it is I am sorry.
    Is expensive. You have rebuild options, can't recall but think the place is in Iowa.
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....t=#post1002845

  5. #5
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Suspect it is the ABS modulator, if it is I am sorry.
    Is expensive. You have rebuild options, can't recall but think the place is in Iowa.
    http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread....t=#post1002845
    Yea, you're probably right. It is very interesting that others have experienced this failure shortly after the rear wheel flange replacement. I haven't carefully inspected the rear end yet but plan to do so this evening. I suspect I've ridden ~ 100 miles between the flange service and the fault so probably unrelated unless there is some wire chaffing, etc. As I recall, the ABS unit rebuild company is Module Master in Idaho. I hear they do good work for not a lot of $$ and extend a 5 year warranty. Does anyone know if I still have integrated (linked) braking action with the module failure? Thanks.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  6. #6
    Registered User lazygoodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    76

    Brake failure warning

    DrPaul,
    It is my understanding that 2008 K1200GT's do NOT have linked brakes. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2008 instead of the 2007 model.
    Jim
    2008 K1200GT

  7. #7
    Registered User AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    2,160
    The fault codes above are for the motor brush fault. It's not that expensive to deal with. Send the unit to ModuleMaster in Idaho. I think the last ones I had done were maybe $2xx.

    OP: you need to get the fault codes read.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

  8. #8
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    The fault codes above are for the motor brush fault. It's not that expensive to deal with. Send the unit to ModuleMaster in Idaho. I think the last ones I had done were maybe $2xx.

    OP: you need to get the fault codes read.
    Many thanks, Anton. I'm moving in that direction. Other than no ABS, is there any risks riding the bike until the repair is done?
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  9. #9
    Back in the Saddle mcmxcivrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by lazygoodan View Post
    DrPaul,
    It is my understanding that 2008 K1200GT's do NOT have linked brakes. That's one of the reasons I bought a 2008 instead of the 2007 model.
    They do have the linked brakes, but not the servo assisted brakes. Same reason I chose to buy an 08 and not an earlier model.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2019 F850GSA

  10. #10
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    They do have the linked brakes, but not the servo assisted brakes. Same reason I chose to buy an 08 and not an earlier model.
    That's what I remembered as well. Thanks.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  11. #11
    Registered User AntonLargiader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Posts
    2,160
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
    Many thanks, Anton. I'm moving in that direction. Other than no ABS, is there any risks riding the bike until the repair is done?
    Do you know there's no ABS? Try to skid the rear in a parking lot.

    Could it be the pad wear indicator?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

  12. #12
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Do you know there's no ABS? Try to skid the rear in a parking lot.

    Could it be the pad wear indicator?
    I have not actually tested the ABS function but that is a good idea. Pads front and rear were replaced less than a year ago. I'm not getting the pad wear indicator light on the display but will visually inspect them and check the connections. Thanks for your help.
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

  13. #13
    Cage Rattler wezul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glen Ellyn, IL
    Posts
    3,788

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs View Post
    They do have the linked brakes, but not the servo assisted brakes. Same reason I chose to buy an 08 and not an earlier model.
    I still own a 2008 K1200GT.

    The ABS modules of this era are prone to failure. Mine failed @ 8,00 miles. Can't tell ya how many I've seen in local shops with the l/s fairing off, waiting for their module to be returned by Module Masters.

    Also,

    The brakes on K1200GTs and K1300GTs are only partially linked.

    Using the handle bar brake lever will give you front and rear linked.

    If you use the rear brake foot pedal, you get rear brake only.

    d'milan

  15. #15
    DrPaul DrPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bartlesville, OK
    Posts
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by dmilan View Post
    The brakes on K1200GTs and K1300GTs are only partially linked.

    Using the handle bar brake lever will give you front and rear linked.

    If you use the rear brake foot pedal, you get rear brake only.

    d'milan
    That is correct .

    Went out this afternoon and tested the ABS function by locking the rear brake on the lawn several times and there was complete lock-up; no apparent ABS function at all. So, I'm guessing I have a module failure. Is there a need to verify with reading the fault codes before removing the module and shipping off to Module Master? My dealer can't get me in for over a week to read the fault codes. Order a GS-911 and DIY (I've wanted an excuse to buy one of these for a long time!)? I've got a 4K trip planned in 4 weeks. All advice appreciated!
    DrPaul - 2008 K1200GT, 1973 R75/5
    2004 R1150RT - sold,1974 R90/6 - sold
    2002 R1150RT - sold,1987 K75S - sold

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •