• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hit a Deer!

larrykelderman

July 21 1:30 in the afternoon just left Yellowstone on the Beartooth Highway going to the Rally [did not make it]. Hit a deer going 60 mph, straight road, nice weather, totaled the bike [2002 r1151r]. I am ok except for road rash and a purple elbow. Protective gear works: helmet, gloves, mesh jacket, boots, the jeans did not do so well tho. In the 40 years of riding [mostly Colo. where I live] I've never had a deer run in front of me. I am a little shook up and was putting this out for some encouragement! My family thinks I shouldn't ride any more, but I do love it!
Thanks, Larry Kelderman
Member #82533
[I just turned 64]

There are very few serious riders who don't from time to time question if they should continue riding. This can happen because of a particular incident like in your case or just out of the blue. There is no wrong decision. If you continue, great, if you decide to stop, that is a fine decision also.

Glad you are ok.

I've only killed three with bikes. For a while I was waiting for the DNR to try to ticket me for hunting out of season. Seriously, glad you're OK. Only you can determine if and when it's time to stop riding.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad to hear that you are okay. You can also be injured or killed if you hit a deer with your car also. They can slide over the hood and crash through your windshield. My opinion is that there are way too many deer roaming the landscape, and the hunting season is too short.

I live where there is a large population of deer and bear. I see about a dozen deer up close and personal each year. Sometimes I see up to 50 deer in a group. I have a couple techniques on avoiding impacts. Sometimes they work, and sometimes I am lucky to get around them without hitting them. For me it's a game of Russian Roulette. Driving at night, dusk, or dawn is the worst. Safer during the day, but still not guarantee. As you well know.

Statistically, your odds of having an accident by hitting an animal is small when compared to other ways of having a motorcycle accident. You are far more likely to have an accident because you are distracted, then from hitting a deer. This time it was just your unlucky day. I wouldn't be discouraged by your bad luck.

You can also be injured or killed if you hit a deer with your car also. They can slide over the hood and crash through your windshield.
+1 -- a friend's grandfather was almost killed when a deer came through the windshield and ended up in the back of the station wagon he was driving.

You may need cycle therapy. Can you borrow a bike to ride and see how you feel about it? You may feel anxious the first mile or two but that should pass. I suspect you will be fine with many enjoyable miles still to ride in your life.

I am so glad, as I am sure you are, that you were wearing some protective gear. That decision may have well saved your life. The next decision about riding again only you can make. My recommendation would be to do so only if you have a peace about it. If you remain worried and doubtful then stay off until the peace returns. If it doesn't then so be it. If it does then keep making good decisions about your riding habits and gear to minimize injury and enjoy. Forty years riding in Colo with one deer strike seems to be a good record to me. But that doesn't mean it will be another forty until the next one.

Glad you are OK

Larry
So glad you are OK. Was a little worried for awhile, when you sent me the text " Hit a deer, in the hospital in Cody but OK. I guess that could be a oxymoron. But soon after your text said you were at the tow yard. So I took it that OK was really OK.
The reply's to your thread, are all very thoughtful. So i guess whatever is in the future, is up to you.
Friend from O hi O
Charlie

Enjoy your new bike when you get that insurance check.

Evaluate the parts of your gear that didn't perform to your satisfaction and invest a good part of the check in upgrades. Damaged riding gear should also be covered by your insurance.

Glad you're OK.

:dance:dance:dance

So glad your doing good Larry

I know when my brother texted me about your encounter, my heart skipped a little and felt for you. When I heard from you I felt much better.

I do agree with "Rad's " post when it comes to riding again.

I'm sure you will make the right choice.

Jim in SC

My family thinks I shouldn't ride anymore,
[I just turned 64]

The deer don't care how old you are. My 18 yo son hit a deer this summer even with his super fast, 18 year old, prime-o-life reflexes! Totalled his honda and almost ripped the deer in half. (He was fine.)

Seriously though, keep riding if you enjoy it and feel good about it. Its probably just the family's way of showing that they care about you.

Best regards,
Realshiny

Back