• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Best way to upload maps/trips to Garmin Navigator V?

No one has answered the OP question. Can you download a google map route( or any other) wirelessly or via Bluetooth to Garmin ( BMW) gps?.

No one has answered the OP question. Can you download a google map route( or any other) wirelessly or via Bluetooth to Garmin ( BMW) gps?.

No.

File transfer requires a USB cable and a computer.

I've attempted to use an Android phone with a USB cable and OTG adapter. No luck, the GPS does not go into transfer mode and is not recognized by the phone.

Last edited:
Rever and Furkot are easier to use than BaseCamp, but all have their weaknesses, strengths and learning curves. I use them all, but find each one frustrating in its own way for several reasons. Nothing I've found yet is ideal or sufficiently intuitive for me to have me settle on just one tool.

Google Maps also has very real limitations if you are doing and long-distance planning.

For me, the best solution that I have found is:

• Short 1-day trips
    - Use the built-in Garmin Trip Planner - Quick, simple and more powerful (in some helpful ways) than the alternatives​
    [*]Multi-day trips
    - Use Google Maps to plot the rough overall route (A to B). Then add in my over-night spots to get the days ride length desired, then needed/desired gas/rest stops and either transfer to or build in Garmin Trip Planner​

Google has some very real limitations for trip planning compared to Garmin Trip Planner.
  1. First, you are limited to only 10 points (8 + your start and finish)
    even on a one-day trip trying to get the route you want can be challenging unless you are going on a fairly simple route​
  2. You can't set a departure/arrival time if you add even one waypoint
    Trip Planner allows me to set a ton of WayPoints and ShapingPoints. Each has very real and beneficial uses for any in-depth planning.​
  3. All your route customization is lost with every recalculation

For me, Garmin Trip Planner allows me to do the things most important to me on multi-day trips:
  • set in my desired route with plenty of customization for taking in specific interesting roads or places
  • plug in the desired fuel stops based on range/interest etc. and set a duration (typically 15 minutes fueling and stretching)
  • plug in meal stops with duration
  • enter my desired arrival time for my overnight stay and its duration
  • identify my desired date/time of arrival at my final destination
Doing all of the above gives me my required start time for each day (I often adjust that with my durations set for my overnight stay).

Setting just the stops for fuel, food, sites and lodging as WayPoints and all other points (used to take me over the roads I wish to travel) set as ShapingPoints means that Trip Planner will show me the travel times / arrival times / duration / departure times for just the points that I want to stop at and nothing more (far less clutter). It can also easily and quickly be adjusted/modified if my plans change right on the side of the road, rest stop etc. Not so for the others in my experience. YMMV

You'd think that Garmin would make it easy, right?

One thing to keep in mind about BaseCamp is that it is not a Microsoft (Windows) product and does not act and think like one.
The trick is to spent some time using it and it will all come together.
While I don't claim to be an expert, I can whip a route together in no time.
Once you get the hang of it, it is very powerful.

But...as always...YMMV

Joe

No.

File transfer requires a USB cable and a computer.

I've attempted to use an Android phone with a USB cable and OTG adapter. No luck, the GPS does not go into transfer mode and is not recognized by the phone.

Just realized I forgot the SD card option, probably because it is such a pain to remove the card (from under the battery on my 590), copy the .gpx to it from another device, re-insert the card, and import it to internal memory.

Base Map problems

New user with a NavVI. I downloaded Base Map, but had technical problems with it--it won't stay connected to my PC (as indicated by getting the detail maps from the connected NavIV to display on the PC.) I tried five different cables. It worked once, though, but I couldn't replicate that success. Thoughts?

I appreciate the Google Maps options that some suggested, and will try those.

Last edited:
Google Maps->GPS Visualizer->Rever->GPX to Nav V

Planning an Iron Butt BB1500 for this week and wanted to be very specific on the gas stations where I would make my stops. I mainly use Rever but it didn't have an option to enter specific street addresses for gas stations.

1) I put all the Shell gas station addresses in a spreadsheet for all my stops.
2) I went into Google Maps, Your Places, created a new map, added destinations with the specific street addresses for the gas stations. I then downloaded the .kml file.
3) I went to GPS Visualizer (http://www.gpsvisualizer.com), uploaded the .kml, chose GPX and Tracks, then converted to a GPX File.
4) I then copied the GPX file to my Nav V in the GPX folder. I went into the apps and converted the GPX tracks to a Trip. Now the trip is stored in the Trip Planner app. When I start Trip Planner, I start with the beginning point.
5) I also uploaded the GPX file to Rever so that I would have a backup and could use my iPhone if the Nav V went dead.

It is a longer process but now I have the street addresses in an Excel file on Google Drive, the trip in my Nav V, and a backup on Rever.

Back