• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member Intro

tuninfork

HI,
My name is Bruce Brown and I live in South Dakota. I recently bought a 2006 R1200RT. I have owned bikes for most of my life and have had Harley's, Honda's and Yamaha's. My last big bike was a 2002 Dynaglide FXDX Sport. Loved the bike, but every time I talked with someone who was riding a BMW the conversation started with "I used to ride a Harley". Finally decided to try one. Bought the 2006 with 56K miles with everything on it except a GPS (no problem as I have a Tom/Tom Rider) My first ride was from where I bought it to home, 753 miles. When I got off the bike I didn't feel like I had ridden that far. Guess I am convinced! My brothers and I trip every summer and my middle brother just bought a 2004 R1150RT from a friend, after he rode mine. The bike he bought has 24K miles on it, and is pristine. We did a 250 mile ride last Saturday on the south shore of lake Superior and he is just as impressed as I am.
The only issue I have with the bike is the height. I am inseam challenged at 29" and with the factory seat in the low position I am on the balls of my feet at a stop. I just bought a extra low once piece from Max BMW and it is only 3/4 lower than my stock seat when on the bike. I am pretty disappointed. Can anyone out there give me a little advice on seats for the challenged?

Welcome to the forum Bruce!
The seat height is a frequent question on may of the BMW models. I don't have a specific answer for your bike but I did take 2" out of the suspension on my F800GS (leg injury), but it did make it easier to ride and I haven't found any ill effects......In other words, your not alone.
Gary

Welcome tunin':wave

You're not alone from brand swapping...or multi brand owning. Just a different ride.
Enjoy the new ride and hearing all the "right" answers coming your way:D

Short Inseam

My advice is to have a saddle custom made for you. Bill Meyer and Russell Saddles will work with you and design a seat that will meet your needs. While some say the seats are pricey, you will see that with the proper seat you will be more confident not to mention more comfortable than you would be on the factory Kraut Ass Torture Device you are presently sitting on.

Best,

Will

Back