• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front tire has wrong rotation direction

robsryder

Motorcycleton
A few months back I purchased another K75S; this time it was an 88 without ABS. In June I flew to AZ and picked up the bike and rode it back to OH. The BMW dealer local to the seller did a good bit of work to the bike to make certain that it would be safe and reliable for the cross-country ride. This included mounting new tires front and rear. The ride was great and the bike ran without a hitch.

Today I noticed that the Metzeler tread pattern on 88 K75S's front wheel was different from the Metzeler tires on my other BMWs. I checked and the 88 K75S tire is oriented incorrectly. Since the 88 K75S lacks ABS the wheel appears to be symmetrical. Perhaps the wheel was just installed incorrectly (versus the tire mounted incorrectly). If the wheel is truly symmetrical then I can just remove the tire and re-install it with the rotation arrow correctly oriented. Otherwise, I'll need to de-mount the tire from the wheel and re-mount it and re-balance the wheel.

Anyone with a non-ABS K75S have any thoughts?

Attached is a photo of the bike at Vail Pass shortly after having exceeded the 100k mile mark.

Attachments

• 88k75s_vail_pass_0615.jpg
    88k75s_vail_pass_0615.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 117
Yeah, just turn the wheel around.

I put marks near the hub so that I know which side was Left and which was Right. That way I get the brake pads that were seated to each rotor back on the same rotor. It makes a bit of difference in braking for awhile if you put them in the wrong relationship.

Since you're not sure which rotor was on which side before the tire change, just correct for the tire and be aware of any change in braking until the pads "get happy" with the other rotor.:thumb

If you have others mount your tires for you, you might put a small rotation arrow on the wheels near the hubs and point them out when you drop off the wheels. Do the rear too since some bikes have the final drive on the other side of the wheel and the guy mounting your tire might forget to look at the tire being dismounted, forget, or guess wrong. Can save a trip back.

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks Lee! I thought it might be as simple as just flipping the wheel. Having a dealer mount a tire on a wheel is an infrequent occurrence for me.

I had a tire mounted by a dealer 5 years ago when I purchased my first K75S, a 92 in California. Although I had the dealer mount the tire, replace the brake fluid, and some other minor stuff for the Calif. bike most of the positive assurance about the bike came elsewhere.

That elsewhere was Mr. 98Lee who spent about 8 to 10 hours helping me (an airhead) learn about K bikes. That trip of 5 years back was really great also and was a major factor in me deciding to again do a buy, fly, and ride for a K75S. (This time the bike was the correct color - Red!)

Mr. 98Lee is helping me learn how to adjust the valve clearances on the 92 K75S in the photo below [Thanks again Lee!!] -

Attachments

• 98lee_valve_adj.JPG
    98lee_valve_adj.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Back