• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tragedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there's any charter to protect the citizens from themselves. In addition, I'm sure the vast majority of the state and federal politicians from your home state would laugh you out to door, if you made that suggestion, and carry on with their tirades on how OSHA, USDA, etc. federal regulations are killing the nation.

Clearly, history has shown us, as does your example, the federal government is more than willing and cable of taking care of careless citizens even if we don't like it. I feel like motorcycle riders have been written off as expendable and no longer worthy of protection because of a fringe demographic from the 70's that DID have the political fortitude to get their agenda pushed, and approved, having the intentional/unentional? consequence of cheaping all of our lives in the eyes of an apathetic public.

If my actions our words save one life, let the apathetic critics bring the criticism, ridicule, and venom, it makes the moral victory that much sweeter.

Be nice if insurance companies could adjust rates according to helmet usage. They do it for smokers.

Clearly, history has shown us, as does your example, the federal government is more than willing and cable of taking care of careless citizens even if we don't like it. I feel like motorcycle riders have been written off as expendable and no longer worthy of protection because of a fringe demographic from the 70's that DID have the political fortitude to get their agenda pushed, and approved, having the intentional/unentional? consequence of cheaping all of our lives in the eyes of an apathetic public.

If my actions our words save one life, let the apathetic critics bring the criticism, ridicule, and venom, it makes the moral victory that much sweeter.

Until you can sell it in your own state, the federal gov't isn't going to change anything. We live in a world of the lowest common denominator. Change the world at your local level and then try to change the federal gov't.

Rather than legislation I would like to see education. Maybe public service messages. Maybe at the dealership when you buy the bike or at licensesing. I hate to see the government getting any bigger or more intrusive, how well has that worked so far.
I am AGATT and before I took my daughter for her first ride we bought gear. At almost 17 she won't ride my bike or her ATV or boat without proper gear. She says she doesn't understand why people would. She in not easily swayed by peer pressure. She also does not understand why someone not use seat belts. We just had a bad car crash in our town with three young people, one killed and the other two badly injured. She knows all three. All were thrown from the truck and looking at the photos I bet if they had been using seatbelts they would have walked away.
I see more people riding helmetless lately. It use to be Harley, and other cruiser riders had no gear, sportbike riders had a helmet and nothing else and BWM rider were all geared up but not any more. I saw a CLC rider with no helmet, Dockers, a polo shirt and Penny loafers. Penny Loafers? On yah it was a CLC :stick

Be nice if insurance companies could adjust rates according to helmet usage. They do it for smokers.

Apparently, it's not a significant factor, otherwise they would. That was the whole idea behind the concept of infometrics...determine the risk associated with each participant and charge accordingly. I know in my case, riding a motorcycle or wearing helmet was not included in the survey.

Rather than legislation I would like to see education. Maybe public service messages. Maybe at the dealership when you buy the bike or at licensesing. I hate to see the government getting any bigger or more intrusive, how well has that worked so far.
I am AGATT and before I took my daughter for her first ride we bought gear. At almost 17 she won't ride my bike or her ATV or boat without proper gear. She says she doesn't understand why people would. She in not easily swayed by peer pressure. She also does not understand why someone not use seat belts. We just had a bad car crash in our town with three young people, one killed and the other two badly injured. She knows all three. All were thrown from the truck and looking at the photos I bet if they had been using seatbelts they would have walked away.
I see more people riding helmetless lately. It use to be Harley, and other cruiser riders had no gear, sportbike riders had a helmet and nothing else and BWM rider were all geared up but not any more. I saw a CLC rider with no helmet, Dockers, a polo shirt and Penny loafers. Penny Loafers? On yah it was a CLC :stick

The average age of BMW and Harley riders are similar..........old. If education was the answer to the problem, why are middle aged people with $15~25K of disposable income making this choice?

It needs to be state-by-state and IMHO the approach is to make accidents involving the helmetless uninsurable and always the fault of the helmetless.

I totally agree, and is the approach I have wished would be enacted for many years now. The rest of us all share the financial burden in rising health care/insurance costs when those who want the "freedom to ride helmet less" get seriously hurt. It this became law, I'm betting most, if not all, of the bandanna-leather vest crowd would instantly be looking for functional head gear at the HD dealership. They may not mind totaling a $30,000 insured cruiser, but getting hit with $300,000 in medical bills would probably get their attention.

Well, regardless of political slants on this general topic...just say a prayer for these individuals and their family. And for those of you who may not...do think of the potential risk.

You my friend accurately boiled it down to what is truly important.

And not to toot our own horn or anything, but we as a group can continue to set a good example. I was talking to a guy (he was wearing a Triumph shirt) at the HD dealer the other day and he asked what kind of motorcycle I drove. When I told him "BMWs" he said "You wear all that reflective stuff on your jacket and bags and all? All the BMW guys I see are high-viz and reflectors and armor and gloves and jackets in July."
I told him I didn't have all that reflector stuff on my jacket (yet. I'm still raising two little kids who need new shoes every five weeks) but did wear high viz and full-face and gloves and kevlar, and had big reflectors on my system cases, sides and back. He looked like that satisfied his expectation that a BMW rider is ATG'd out.

Other riders don't just expect us to wear helmets, they expect us to be ATGATT. Thanks for helping to make safety part of the culture of these bikes. I think it speaks volumes about the average BMW Rider and his/her commitment to personal responsibilities that extend well beyond the scope of motorcycles.
Or maybe I just haven't met the bad apples yet.

Sad to hear of the incident and resulting fatality. It is unfortunate that people cannot take a few minutes to properly gear up for some kind of protection and, as shown, results in tragedy.

A number of years ago I had a similar body-slam to the right because of some powder sand in a wet spot, except that I was doing about 15-20 mph in the turn and the tires simple washed out instantly. The incident happened so fast I could not react and the resulting snap-roll slammed my head and shoulder first into the ground. As an active MSF instructor I teach/preach/live ATGATT so was properly geared up at the time. The gear involved was a Shoei full face, Motoport mesh kevlar jacket and pants, deerskin riding gloves, Alpinestars boots.

The helmet took a really bad gash across the upper right side of the shield and helmet shell, the jacket and pants had some scuffing and looked a bit fuzzy but otherwise no damage. Injury was four cracked ribs and a good concussion resulting in about a 30 second blackout. There was not a scratch on me which amazed the ER crew that examined me, and the Doc who did the MRI to check for head injury absolutely said the helmet save me after they saw the damage the helmet sustained.

Yes, I will always be ATGATT, but that is a personal decision. You will never see me on any motorcycle without the gear on. I know it saved my life when I met the bear.

We live a couple miles up the road from a Biker bar.
In the Summer time it's nothing for 100 - 150 bikes to be in the parking lot.
They have live music on the weekends and they really draw them in.

We pass these bikers later in the day, screaming down the two lane country road. Most don't have helmets on, pretty girls on the back with sunglasses and tank tops.................

We're amazed that there aren't more fatalities. Usually one or two a season.
It never made sense to me. Ride bike to bar, sit all day drinking, then ride bike home.
jason

And that's probably the best route. Incentivize it. May be states could require health insurance or higher coverage on their bikes for those that don't wear a helmet. Just a thought. People should be allowed to make choices, but they also have to be responsible for them.

wow, that is hard to read

not that i could imagine not riding without my full-face helmet.....

Preaching to the choir on this issue, but I hear you. I was behind a pair of Harleys in a small New Hampshire town. Neither was wearing a helmet. There was some gravel on the road at a 4-way stop. One of the riders blipped his throttle as he made his turn from a feet down stop. The rear slid out on the gravel and the rider's temple impacted the hard edge of the granite curb. Couldn't have been going more than 2-3mph at the time. He was gone. Husband, father of two, only son of loving parents. Gone

Every time I see someone riding without a helmet, I see a potential organ donor, yes it's your right in many states to ride without, I just don't want to pay for your lifetime of medical care, because you exercised your right

I seriously think the BMW MOA should consider the option of being a lobbying political force for a mandatory federal helmet law. Just saying...

Ummm... No.The current energy put into the levers of policy, the resultant political intrigue, and general inability to manage the legislative agenda. We'd end up with motorcycles outlawed, and an endangered snail in a pond somewhere getting a $10000 per snail support check.

Law abrogate rights. Anytime an organization argues for the restriction or duty to restrict rights I am suspect. Unlike SCOTUS I do remember the forgotten 9th Amendment.

Ummm... No.The current energy put into the levers of policy, the resultant political intrigue, and general inability to manage the legislative agenda. We'd end up with motorcycles outlawed, and an endangered snail in a pond somewhere getting a $10000 per snail support check.

Law abrogate rights. Anytime an organization argues for the restriction or duty to restrict rights I am suspect. Unlike SCOTUS I do remember the forgotten 9th Amendment.

I'm with Reece. Deny federal highway funding to states that don't have helmet laws.

For your consideration- more laws??
We are a society that can't really discourage people from, driving around rail-road crossing gates (large scale), recently- lighting mortar tube fireworks placed on top of their heads- (fatal), the continued texting and driving or put their generator outside when the run it- 4 dead yesterday from my area.
When is the last time you have heard of someone getting into trouble for non-DOT helmet use?
This "otta be a law" is an old war cry. The Federal department of money collected on a national level denied to a state for no helmet use? Yeah we'll just hold that money in escrow for you 'till you do comply :rofl :rofl

I can't remember who said it but it goes something like- "If you are not living in a place where something annoys you, you are not living in a free society".

Pardon me as I head to the pool, seems like someone drowned and now everyone has to wear "floaties".
OM

Tragic. I'm assuming you were the first on the scene. Were you able to help much before EMS got there?

I was thinking about this.

I have no training whatsoever, and am woefully ignorant of what I would/should/could do to assist a fellow rider during these critical moments.

This would make an excellent article, being motorcycle specific, from someone who knows.

Is there a doctor in the house?

jm

Using this logic, users of tobacco have been written off as well, otherwise we would make all forms of tobacco illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back