• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

need info for safety check - '94 r1100rs - brake light yes for front brake - not rear

jimnto

Hi All
I bought a '94 r1100rs from a guy and I think he was less than forthcoming regarding all the multiple issues - but it was his Dad's bike so..

Anyhow - I finally solved (it seems) an alternating flashing ABS light problem. Used to be fault code 6 (bad relay) but my reading lead me to believe it was a low power (He also had a cheap battery in it) so I spliced in the blue wire from the alternator into pin 15 on the ABS harness. Cleared the fault - no fault code - seems good.

Still one thing. When I squeeze the front brake the rear brake light illuminates but not when I apply the rear brake. Is that a bulb issue or do I need to adjust the rear brake senor? Advice needed so I can get the damn thing safetied!!

Thanks - I am in toronto Ontario if anyone wants to swing by!
Cheers
Jn

Rear brake light probably an issue with the micro switch. A multi meter check will tell the tale.

Not sure about Ontario but here in BC Cambodian Tire does safety checks on bikes. They are not what I would call thorough but they do them! :thumb

I am very familiar with Cdn Vehicle Safety Standards although I can safety motorcycles, licensed to do so, I don't like to because the standards are so slim as to be a joke.
Brake lights, have to work, front and rear brake and as mentioned, likely the micro switch.
I used to do so many safeties that the paperwork got blurry at times. I once failed a semi for not having a kickstand. Try explaining that one to the customer and then the auditor.

Will check switch - wasn't anyone impressed i spliced into the ABS harness?

Jeepers - you see i am sort of on the verge of being a guy who shouldn't do modifications L-) but I slipped the spade connector off the alternator and married a wire onto it and poked a hole in the abs harness rubber boot.

But back to the switch - i will check it tomorrow - thanks Y'all

Jn
Anyone going to Welland in August?

ABS seems fixed - no blinking lights anyhow

After running power to the ABS from the alternator (blue wire to pin 15 in the harness), and resetting the ABS - no more blinking lights. Now just the lower light is on all the time. in fact - I am not sure my ABS acts the way ot is supposed to. So I am glad no more blinking lights - but i have to find info on exactly how the ABS should be working.

Thanks
Jim N

Jeepers - you see i am sort of on the verge of being a guy who shouldn't do modifications L-) but I slipped the spade connector off the alternator and married a wire onto it and poked a hole in the abs harness rubber boot.

But back to the switch - i will check it tomorrow - thanks Y'all

Jn
Anyone going to Welland in August?

That may be indicating that the rear tail and/or brake light still has a problem.

Back