Thread: need info for safety check - '94 r1100rs - brake light yes for front brake - not rear

need info for safety check - '94 r1100rs - brake light yes for front brake - not rear

Hi All
    I bought a '94 r1100rs from a guy and I think he was less than forthcoming regarding all the multiple issues - but it was his Dad's bike so..

Anyhow - I finally solved (it seems) an alternating flashing ABS light problem. Used to be fault code 6 (bad relay) but my reading lead me to believe it was a low power (He also had a cheap battery in it) so I spliced in the blue wire from the alternator into pin 15 on the ABS harness. Cleared the fault - no fault code - seems good.

Still one thing. When I squeeze the front brake the rear brake light illuminates but not when I apply the rear brake. Is that a bulb issue or do I need to adjust the rear brake senor? Advice needed so I can get the damn thing safetied!!

Thanks - I am in toronto Ontario if anyone wants to swing by!
    Cheers
    Jn

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Rear brake light probably an issue with the micro switch. A multi meter check will tell the tale.

Not sure about Ontario but here in BC Cambodian Tire does safety checks on bikes. They are not what I would call thorough but they do them!
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

I am very familiar with Cdn Vehicle Safety Standards although I can safety motorcycles, licensed to do so, I don't like to because the standards are so slim as to be a joke.
    Brake lights, have to work, front and rear brake and as mentioned, likely the micro switch.
    I used to do so many safeties that the paperwork got blurry at times. I once failed a semi for not having a kickstand. Try explaining that one to the customer and then the auditor.
    1997 R1100RT (Restored Basket Case) , 1981 KZ 440 LTD (Restored Basket Case, my baby, fast, fun)
    3xR90/6, two just sold, one for a sidecar. 1983 K100RS (Cafe now)
    Very Rough R80RT. 1987 K1100RS (freaking hooped I think)

Will check switch - wasn't anyone impressed i spliced into the ABS harness?

Jeepers - you see i am sort of on the verge of being a guy who shouldn't do modifications L-) but I slipped the spade connector off the alternator and married a wire onto it and poked a hole in the abs harness rubber boot.

But back to the switch - i will check it tomorrow - thanks Y'all

Jn
    Anyone going to Welland in August?

ABS seems fixed - no blinking lights anyhow

After running power to the ABS from the alternator (blue wire to pin 15 in the harness), and resetting the ABS - no more blinking lights. Now just the lower light is on all the time. in fact - I am not sure my ABS acts the way ot is supposed to. So I am glad no more blinking lights - but i have to find info on exactly how the ABS should be working.

Thanks
    Jim N

Quote Originally Posted by jimnto View Post
    Jeepers - you see i am sort of on the verge of being a guy who shouldn't do modifications L-) but I slipped the spade connector off the alternator and married a wire onto it and poked a hole in the abs harness rubber boot.

But back to the switch - i will check it tomorrow - thanks Y'all

Jn
    Anyone going to Welland in August?
    owner of '86 k75C since August 2014 and since June of 2015 - a '95 r1100rs

That may be indicating that the rear tail and/or brake light still has a problem.