• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150R - Hesitation & Hicups when hot - Solution - Change the Wire Plugs!

I know this is not a new issue, and I have seen many, many post of the same symptoms on R1150r's, but......

Before change the spark plugs, fuel filter, battery, canister, etc, etc, etc.... (which I did trying to find out what the heck was going on...). I finally changed the wire plugs (coils) and the ghost is gone!

How I discovered? Under my suspicion that is was not a mechanical problem, as the issue was not happening constantly, I changed the spark plugs again (twice in one year) and discovered an electrical arch between the coil and the engine which was generating a "clicking" noise.

Acceleration is now smooth, bike is not stalling, idle is just fine, and the bike starts like a champ!

I'm now enjoying my rides and am not afraid to travel long distances.

Hope this helps :dance

Regards,

Attachments

• IMG_8723.jpg
    IMG_8723.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Are you saying that you changed the coils
or the plug wires or some kind of plug?

Thanks

Please clarify specifically where you spotted the arc...?

As I've posted in other threads, the plug wires not only just get "old", but the little clips that hold them to the frame can sometimes damage the insulation.

Are you saying that you changed the coils
or the plug wires or some kind of plug?

Thanks

Please clarify specifically where you spotted the arc...?

As I've posted in other threads, the plug wires not only just get "old", but the little clips that hold them to the frame can sometimes damage the insulation.

I spotted the arc at the cylinder head cover.

Attachments

• arc.jpg
    arc.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 38
Ah-Ha! Not the first time we've seen this happen on an older single-plug bike. Here's one from several years ago that was on a borrowed bike; the guy didn't understand why it was intermittently running so poorly. Apparently somebody had been in there before but didn't have the part to fix it:

cap.jpg

So to get the bike back on the road, we did a temporary kludge and got the replacement wire a few days later.

tempfix.jpg

Congrats on finding it; now you know what errant electricity sounds like!

Back