• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

SW-Motech "City" Tankbag (Electric) w/ Quick Lock Bottom Ring (Electric)

madmatt

gotgas-touring nogas-lost
Just installed SW-Motech "City" Tank Bag (Electric) w/ Quick Lock Bottom Ring (Electric) on my 04 K 1200GT. The instructions refer to " Make sure the appliance (via the adaptor [9]) is connected only while riding the vehicle, otherwise the battery discharges.) seems vague. Does this mean if I have anything plugged in to the bag it will discharge (common sense tells you that) or just having the tank bag attached to the connector ring for extended periods with nothing plugged in to the bag will also drain the battery?

What has been your experience with electric tank bags? Thanks matt see you in Billings

Just installed SW-Motech "City" Tank Bag (Electric) w/ Quick Lock Bottom Ring (Electric) on my 04 K 1200GT. The instructions refer to " Make sure the appliance (via the adaptor [9]) is connected only while riding the vehicle, otherwise the battery discharges.) seems vague. Does this mean if I have anything plugged in to the bag it will discharge (common sense tells you that) or just having the tank bag attached to the connector ring for extended periods with nothing plugged in to the bag will also drain the battery?

What has been your experience with electric tank bags? Thanks matt see you in Billings
The former -- mere connection of the bag to the ring, without a load connected inside the bag, cannot drain the battery.

I use tank bags electrified via pass-through connections in the sides of the bags. Same concern with these -- if I leave a power-consuming device plugged in in the bag and leave the bag connected, the device drains the battery at whatever rate it is drawing power. Most things like USB chargers without attached loads will have only parasitic-level drain -- go away for a few weeks and the battery may be dead. Higher loads will drain the battery faster. Use of common sense has resulted in my never having any issue with tank-bag accessories killing a bike battery.

Back