Thread: GS Vibration Update (long post)

GS Vibration Update (long post)

Greetings. I've mentioned previously that the 2001 GS I recently acquired vibrated unbearably over 4k rpm, and it was really ruining the bike for me. I installed a Techlusion unit and that eliminated the surging and actually reduced some of the vibration. Most of you were saying, "twins will always vibrate a little, but you need to synch your throttle bodies and adjust the valves."

So friday I took it to the shop where I bought it and asked the owner if he would ride it and tell me whether the vibration was normal or excessive. He grabbed his helmet and took off. A few minutes later he rode past one of his coworkers and I right to the back of the shop. By the time we got there, he and his mechanic looked like an ER team, attaching various tubes and wires to the bike.

He explained that the throttle synch was off just a tiny bit; they adjusted it and he went for a ride. Then he asked me to go for a ride. Well, in their little industrial complex I could tell that it felt different, but I wouldn't say better. He said it now felt fine to him, reminded me that all bikes are different, and suggested I ride for a few more days and then come back.

So I went home, and started to feel like the bike was actually worse; I was pretty discouraged.

Fast forward to Saturday afternoon. I finished my yard work, enjoyed a cigar, and decided there was time for a quick ride to Santa Paula and Ventura, so off I went. Watching the tach it was clear to me that the vibration started earlier, but didn't get as bad through the seat, which I confess was the part that really bothered me. But I was griping to myself because it still seemed excessive.

Then I noticed the speedometer. Oh. Oh, dear. Oh holey moley!

Well, I wondered where all those cars had gone, but didn't realize how much faster than usual I'd been riding. Early on I had complained that the bike seemed sluggish, but when you won't take a GS over 4k, of course it will seem sluggish.

As many of you pointed out, these things really are sensitive to tb adjustments, and now I see it. I also understand that mild vibration through the pegs and seat are an indicator that either the synch is off, or that a speeding ticket could be imminent. So I'd better pay attention.

By the way, for the rest of the ride, I periodically erupted into fits of outright, prolonged laughter.

Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but if I don't go out and ride, I'll have to do some work around the house. Can't have that. ;-) DZ

Very very nice.

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Glad you got that fixed....
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

SWEET! Now I learned something about my bike too!
    Glad you got yours running right.

I did a throtle body sync today on my 1150RS for the first time. It's due for it's 12,000 mi. service so I figured if I screw up it will get fixed soon enough. I dusted off (literally) my old mercury manometer and gave it a try. I had heard that it was hard to do with a manometer because the mercury jumps around in the tubes and that a $90 Twinmax was needed. (I heard that from the Twinmax importer, actually.)

Not true, in my experience. Turned out to be surprisingly easy to do with the old tech mercury tubes - way easier than setting the Bings on an airhead. I was back in the house so quickly my wife asked if I had changed my mind. And it made a noticeable difference in the way the bike runs, typical stuff, a lot less vibration in the 4-5K range and virtually no surging in the lower ranges.

This is so simple it ought to be on everyone's routine maintenance list, like check the tires, check the oil, sync the TBs. Even the mechanically challenged can do this one. Trust me, it's easy.

John

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Glad to hear that, Now, Dean, will we see you this weekend? (Fungal Ride)

Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by SFDOC
    Glad to hear that, Now, Dean, will we see you this weekend? (Fungal Ride)

Wow, time flies! Last time my family and I drove up hwy 5 to Arcata it was an all-day affair. I've got meetings Friday morning, so I don't think I want to pack this into a weekend; I still have to work on my stamina. Remember, I've only been riding again for about two months now.

But just to be on the safe side, where did y'all decide to settle? DZ

25-MPH NEXT 1OO MILES PacWestGS's Avatar
    Richardson Grove State Park.

Just north of Leggett, on hwy 101, near Benbow and Cooks Valley

Most of them boys from the Bay area aren't leaving until Saturday (mid-morning). I'm sure Kbasa or someone else in the area would find a couch for ya' on Friday night.

Just a thought.
    Russ
    "If you took the time to really get to know me...you'd be wasting your time, because I'm exactly who you think I am"

(Life comes at you pretty fast "Pay it Forward" - Have no regrets when the end happens)

Quote Originally Posted by SFDOC
    Richardson Grove State Park.

Just north of Leggett, on hwy 101, near Benbow and Cooks Valley

Most of them boys from the Bay area aren't leaving until Saturday (mid-morning). I'm sure Kbasa or someone else in the area would find a couch for ya' on Friday night.

Just a thought.
    Got a spot for you to sleep if you need it, man.

PM me if you want directions and an address.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.