• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lake Michigan tour

B

bmdubyou

I'm planning my first trip & hoping to do a short tour :bolt of Lake Michigan in the next week or so. My thought was to head north thru Wisconsin and then back down thru Michigan. Any thoughts on the best/most scenic routes or any to avoid?

Check out HWY55 starting at Keshena Wisconsin and north to Crandon. On your way there also 187 from Shiocton (northwest of Appleton) which turns into Co K north right into Shawano. Both follow the Wolf river. :thumb

Tim

"This link was posted today on the IBMWR mail list. It seems timely for your inquiry. The author opines, "there are no bad motorcycle roads in the U.P." I agree."

Hey, good article John....thanks for passing that on!

It's also a good trip to do a Saddle Sore 1000 on,
and to get in the Iron Butt Association.

Where about are you located in SW Chicago?? I'm in the Tinley area...

mcclimans84rt said:
I'm planning my first trip & hoping to do a short tour :bolt of Lake Michigan in the next week or so. My thought was to head north thru Wisconsin and then back down thru Michigan. Any thoughts on the best/most scenic routes or any to avoid?

When you are South of the Big Mac Bridge make absolutely sure you get on Michigan State Road 119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs (or from Harbor Springs to Cross Village depending on which way you circle the Lake). Great twisty road with amazing vistas over the big lake. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Don't be afraid to take the road less travelled

Cause if you do that, you can also get a Marshmallow Butt Ride in.

The biggest warning I have is to bring warm clothes. Also enjoy the ride. It is a nice ride. I have done half of it so far. I didn't come back down on the Michigan side...

Also how far are you planning on going each day?

BMWRich58 said:
It's also a good trip to do a Saddle Sore 1000 on,
and to get in the Iron Butt Association.

Where about are you located in SW Chicago?? I'm in the Tinley area...

Hey..I dont know if I'm ready to bite off that much of a ride since its my first one! I live in sheridan...near Ottawa.

HOw about the road LES traveled!

BradfordBenn said:
Cause if you do that, you can also get a Marshmallow Butt Ride in.

The biggest warning I have is to bring warm clothes. Also enjoy the ride. It is a nice ride. I have done half of it so far. I didn't come back down on the Michigan side...

Also how far are you planning on going each day?

LoL...Marshmallow Butt... :laugh whats that one??
Ok...I'm planning on a 4 day weekend so it should be a nice leisurely ride with side trips & whatever. I havent really planned much else...just ride til dark, find a place to stay....repeat! I have been looking for a heated vest or liner.
You all are pretty awesome on here...this is the best forum :clap

Cliffy777 said:
When you are South of the Big Mac Bridge make absolutely sure you get on Michigan State Road 119 from Cross Village to Harbor Springs (or from Harbor Springs to Cross Village depending on which way you circle the Lake). Great twisty road with amazing vistas over the big lake. Satisfaction guaranteed.

Yes, that looks like a great ride...Ive been camping there this summer in Charlevoix (by car) & knew I wanted to ride there! 119 looks straight on the map but if its anything like the other roads up there it should be great!
I have a friend in Holland and have made that trip once on the bike. My RT actually came from Grand Haven!

Speaking of bridges in that area, I have heard horror stories about the Mackinac Bridge, even in a car.

Legends or truth?

JP K1100

It's true there are horror stories, but I've been across Big Mac a few times on two and four wheels, with nothing bad happening.

JPK1100 said:
Speaking of bridges in that area, I have heard horror stories about the Mackinac Bridge, even in a car.

Legends or truth?

JP K1100

Probably some of each. The worst true story I've heard is about the Yugo that was swept off the bridge by high winds. The truth is that the bridge can be a bit scary, mostly due to its height. If it is really windy they slow down the traffic. If you cross by motorcycle, it's probably easiest to stay in the right-most lane. That's the paved lane. The left lane is metal grate. It makes the bike feel like it wants to wander a little bit, but if you relax it's really not too bad.

I've crossed the bridge dozens of times, on bicycle, car and twice by motorcycle. It's a beautiful view from up there. My wife didn't appreciate the motorcycle crossing when I had her taking pictures while we crossed!

dancogan said:
Probably some of each. The worst true story I've heard is about the Yugo that was swept off the bridge by high winds. The truth is that the bridge can be a bit scary, mostly due to its height. If it is really windy they slow down the traffic. If you cross by motorcycle, it's probably easiest to stay in the right-most lane. That's the paved lane. The left lane is metal grate. It makes the bike feel like it wants to wander a little bit, but if you relax it's really not too bad.

I've crossed the bridge dozens of times, on bicycle, car and twice by motorcycle. It's a beautiful view from up there. My wife didn't appreciate the motorcycle crossing when I had her taking pictures while we crossed!

Ahhh the Yugo story ...it was driven by a woman who was DUI that was driving prety fast and went airborne as she crossed the middle of trhe bridge as far as the legend I heard, or was it a 4 dorr version, the WEGO ? Anyway no big deal crossing the bridge, a little weird with knobby tires if you need to go over the grates in the center lane but otherwise I have done it many times on the bike with ease.

Cliffy said it best do the M119 route, you will be thankful that you did, there are some of the few real hills in lower penninsular, or if you want the other side of the state for Lake Huron, go from the bridge to US23 South and that follows the lake shore. It is not as pretty as Lake MI though but a little warmer...lol.

Have fun and enjoy, the scenery is awesome all the way down to Harbour Springs on M119. In the UP follow Hwy 2 along the top of Lake MI and Manistee is wonderful too.

...or head to Copper Harbor. I am sure the leaves have turned there (and probably fallen off from the cold :)). I did the opposite direction trip back in September - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=7652&highlight=powertrain - from Ohio, the L.P, over the Mac, U.P., down WI, thru IL, stopped in St. Louis and back via Indiana. If you have intentions of going thru Picture Rock Lakeshore you best be riding a dual-sport. M-22 (from Traverse City) along Lake Michigan thru the Sleeping Bear Dunes is I think one of the best twisty roads in MI.

andy45320 said:
...or head to Copper Harbor. I am sure the leaves have turned there (and probably fallen off from the cold :)). I did the opposite direction trip back in September - http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=7652&highlight=powertrain - from Ohio, the L.P, over the Mac, U.P., down WI, thru IL, stopped in St. Louis and back via Indiana. If you have intentions of going thru Picture Rock Lakeshore you best be riding a dual-sport. M-22 (from Traverse City) along Lake Michigan thru the Sleeping Bear Dunes is I think one of the best twisty roads in MI.

Wow..great story! I'm really getting exciting about my trip. You got some awesome pics too. Since I'm a photographer I'm hoping to get some good photos as well! What kind of camera do you carry?

:stick (isnt this one funny!?)

mcclimans84rt said:
Wow..great story! I'm really getting exciting about my trip. You got some awesome pics too. Since I'm a photographer I'm hoping to get some good photos as well! What kind of camera do you carry?

:stick (isnt this one funny!?)

Nikon Coolpix S1...it's the perfect size (pocket size), has no view finder just a big lcd and takes really nice pictures. Only draw backs are that it's not waterproof (you can buy a casing to make it) and it doesn't have a remote/timer for solo pictures (though there is a sequence option where you just have to take one bad pic and then get in place before it's done :))

At Last!

Well, about 3 weeks late but we finally made the trip!
I left Friday afternoon in near 70 deg weather from IL and headed to Michigan. Made it to Holland (205 Mi) and stayed there for the nite.
Saturday got a late start and took an easy ride since it was so nice. First stop was Grand Haven to meet Ron who was a previous owner of my Molly. (he sold it to a guy on ebay and who had it for a week and sold it to me) He was surprised to see it coming down the road and didnt think there were that many of those around! Anyway, he was glad to see someone riding her and taking care of her!
Next stop was Ludington:

Attachments

• ludingtonLitehouse.jpg
    ludingtonLitehouse.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 60
Back