Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G650GS on the freeway?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

G650GS on the freeway?

My wife wants a smaller lighter bike with a low seat hight and upright ergonomics. She loved sitting on a lowered G650GS in the showroom but I have my doubts about power for freeway or stability at 70mph on a windy day. I ride an RT but she finds that way too heavy and tall. I am wondering if anyone who rides a G650GS can tell me if this bike can be ridden long distances on the freeway?

H has one she uses for commuting and a few freeway runs. It will go 70 mph all day long ,just not a lot of throttle response past that . Passing past 65 seems slow in the response department. Some folks change the front sprocket one tooth to get a bit higher ratio.

It moves a bit more in the wind than her heavier bikes as it has Happy Trail cases...but not a deal breaker from her reports.

She tried a low seat R12R or a 1150 R?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Thanks. Yeah I used to have a R1150R and she didn't like the forward lean. Those bikes seem heavy or have a high center of gravity also.

I know I'm going to get blasted for saying this but, have a look at the Ducati Scrambler. I've ridden this bike and l want one. It's compact, light, and has 75 hp. It will easily meet all of the criteria.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    G650 will run all day on the slab ( Not sure why one would want to though), My wife loves hers, and to be honest up to about 70 it is as smooth as the R11, and R1150 boxers.

If you do a lot of highway, easy to add a tooth to the front to lower the RPM's. They get fantastic mileage too!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

Voni and I rode F650s to and from Alaska a few years ago, including some stints on the interstates. They were fine. Later, I got another F650 - in Texas. Two-lane speed limit past the house = 70. Most two-lanes = 75. Interstate = 80. I rode it on our summer rideabouts throughout the western US and Canada two years running, living on the bikes loaded with camping gear for a few months. It was fine. The need for a bigger bike, especially for one-up riding, is an ingenious marketing myth.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by marv12 View Post
    My wife wants a smaller lighter bike with a low seat hight and upright ergonomics. She loved sitting on a lowered G650GS in the showroom but I have my doubts about power for freeway or stability at 70mph on a windy day.
    Has she looked at a F800R? It only weighs 14 pounds more than a 650GS and the lowest seat option is 30.3" which is the same as the lowest seat on the 650GS.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

. I am wondering if anyone who rides a G650GS can tell me if this bike can be ridden long distances on the freeway?
    Yes. I am a high mileage rider. I ride 65-70 all day with no problems.
    Gail Thorne
    2017 F700GS

Not a G650GS, but I rode my Dakar as shown below from New York to the Sedalia Rally in Missouri. I rode a saddle sore (1000mi in 24hrs) on the way to Sedalia, then went on to Colorado and New Mexico. I rode a Bun Burner (1500mi in 36hrs) on the way home from New Mexico to New York. I rode Interstate for both the Saddlesore and BunBurner. Cruised, fully loaded, at speeds of up to 80 mph, tank of gas to tank of gas. Personally, I am very comfortable on the 650 on Interstates. Just don't "lug" the motor and it will keep you happy, of course at 80mph there is not much left for passing.

I also spent a week or so riding the passes of Colorado, and dirt roads of New Mexico.

ride what you've got; enjoy the ride!

Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA 50182 - BMW MOA 69187

What's a freeway?
    I am too poor to buy cheap stuff, I need it to last forever (tewster2)

Their is a big difference in the G650 and the F650, things get a bit more busy in the single (G)
    Verse the twin (F) at speed, with the F being a lowered powered 800.
    You might look at the C650GT with low seat option, we have one that my wife rides, stable at 75+Even passing large trucks, good wind and weather protection.

Quote Originally Posted by t6pilot View Post
    Their is a big difference in the G650 and the F650, things get a bit more busy in the single (G)
    Verse the twin (F) at speed, with the F being a lowered powered 800.
    You might look at the C650GT with low seat option, we have one that my wife rides, stable at 75+Even passing large trucks, good wind and weather protection.
    The original F650 was a single that, with a chinese engine instead of Austrian engine at same specs, became the G650. They made that F650 starting in 1997with carburetors, and with fuel injectors beginning in 2001.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Just picked up a 2010 f800st. Very happy with it. Will add risers and something other than the stock seat. Researching seats - would love suggestions.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hwood View Post
    Just picked up a 2010 f800st. Very happy with it. Will add risers and something other than the stock seat. Researching seats - would love suggestions.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
    Check out Seat Concepts...http://seatconcepts.com/ On my 700 GS I had the BMW Comfort Seat that I tried two different types of Air Hawk pillows, and one Bill Mayer ERGO Contour saddle cushion, and finally went with the full change out to Seat Concepts at the Montana National. After changing, the 1500 mile ride home was accomplished with no butt pain at all. Before, by 500 miles on a single day, by rear definitely had my full attention, but 600 + mile days after the change-out have been a piece of cake. Be forewarned though, Seat Concepts is very reasonably priced, so there is a waiting period right now, according to their web-site.

If your anywhere around St. Louis, your more than welcome to try out my Bill Mayer saddle seat or my bike with the seat concepts seat on her....

My wife wants a smaller lighter bike with a low seat hight and upright ergonomics. She loved sitting on a lowered G650GS in the showroom but I have my doubts about power for freeway or stability at 70mph on a windy day. I ride an RT but she finds that way too heavy and tall. I am wondering if anyone who rides a G650GS can tell me if this bike can be ridden long distances on the freeway?
    We recently bought a factory lowered 2014 G650GS, and that height was important for me, as I'm on the shorter side. We have ridden on everything from freeways to ball-bearing gravel road, and have had no issues whatsoever with power or stability, and it gets fantastic mileage (75 MPG). I wouldn't have anything else. It's great for both one-up and two-up riding.