• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lane Sharing/ Splitting car door opens in my path:

News flash Mark -

I asked the OP why he chose to lane split under the conditions present. I will await his answer, if he so wishes.

Your 'expert' psycho-analysis of what I'm currently thinking is unnecessary.
A tad touchy? I did not resort to a personal attack, I commented on what I remembered to be your position on the issue. Did I remember incorrectly?

(BTW, I also stated that I was waiting to hear what the OP said.)

There was no "psycho-analysis" ("expert" or otherwise). Based on your previous comments (again, if I remember incorrectly, please let me know) I stated the obvious counter-argument to the obvious argument that lane-splitting isn't needed. That's not pyscho-analysis, it's discussing differing opinions.

I'm surprised at the snippy response, as I've respected your input in the past (even if I disagree on the lane-splitting issue).

Unwarranted.

Glad you were not seriously hurt. :thumb

Curiosity question though:

Having watched your video, there appear to be huge gaps behind most vehicles and traffic seems to be in motion.

Why were you lane splitting in the first place?

Here we go again....
:thumb
:dance

Hard to say intentional or not. From the way they open the door you can't really tell. Regardless, they are at fault for opening their door without making sure it is safe to do so and for fleeing after an accident. Hopefully the CHP will track them down and make it right.

Nice recovery at least! I also split on an RT and I find it can take a hit pretty well (had a car sideswipe me once in LA and I managed to stay up - just pushed my rear end over and dinged my side case).

Glad you were not seriously hurt. :thumb

Curiosity question though:

Having watched your video, there appear to be huge gaps behind most vehicles and traffic seems to be in motion.

Why were you lane splitting in the first place?

Thank you and everyone else that wished me well and that I wasn't hurt. The traffic was coming to a stop. The regulations in California are that you are not to speed and pass while lane sharing/splitting and to do it at a safe speed. The traffic there was coming to a stop. The cars were going around 5-8 mph and I was going around 10-15. I had the clutch engaged (as you can tell by the video) and I had my fingers on the front break to slow down. I only posted a small clip. The rest of the traffic was coming to a stop. I was in the limits of the DMV and CHP guidelines, as they also have seen the video. I was not on the line and I had enough room to share. There have been studies done that lane splitting/sharing reduce accidents and collisions. It's obviously debatable, but in California, it's what we do. There are also bikes that go ridiculous speeds and that's what upsets people. I am within the limits of the law. I also have retained a lawyer. Like I mentioned in an above post, the CHP has viewed the video. The only question is, WHY he opened the door.

Again, if you're not from California, it be hard to understand. I also ride a R1200RT. It's not a sport bike that I just fly through lanes. I split when it's safe and legal.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/uc-berkeley-study-finds-lane-splitting-reduces-motorcyc-1708755125

And for those who question what he looked like...here he is. It looks better in high res and close up.

passenger.jpg

Very few folks lane split in the Boston area, precisely why you posted this thread in the first place. We expect that everyone is trying to kill us, because they are.

Very few folks lane split in the Boston area, precisely why you posted this thread in the first place. We expect that everyone is trying to kill us, because they are.
I'm afraid Tom is right about this.......The doors have telescopic sights on them. :eek
OM

Thank you and everyone else that wished me well and that I wasn't hurt. The traffic was coming to a stop. The regulations in California are that you are not to speed and pass while lane sharing/splitting and to do it at a safe speed. The traffic there was coming to a stop. The cars were going around 5-8 mph and I was going around 10-15. I had the clutch engaged (as you can tell by the video) and I had my fingers on the front break to slow down. I only posted a small clip. The rest of the traffic was coming to a stop. I was in the limits of the DMV and CHP guidelines, as they also have seen the video. I was not on the line and I had enough room to share. There have been studies done that lane splitting/sharing reduce accidents and collisions. It's obviously debatable, but in California, it's what we do. There are also bikes that go ridiculous speeds and that's what upsets people. I am within the limits of the law. I also have retained a lawyer. Like I mentioned in an above post, the CHP has viewed the video. The only question is, WHY he opened the door.

Again, if you're not from California, it be hard to understand. I also ride a R1200RT. It's not a sport bike that I just fly through lanes. I split when it's safe and legal.

http://lanesplittingislegal.com/

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/uc-berkeley-study-finds-lane-splitting-reduces-motorcyc-1708755125

And for those who question what he looked like...here he is. It looks better in high res and close up.

View attachment 50608

Thanks much for the response.

Again, be cautious and keep the shiny side up. :thumb

I can't even imagine wanting to try and put my RT through a space between two cars that narrow on purpose. Just asking for trouble.

I split lanes on my RT and the wife's GS. It's not legal where l do it but l do beleive it's safe when done judiciously.

If anybody's interested, Irv Seaver's is having another CHP talk at their next Open House -

Seavers.jpg

I can't even imagine wanting to try and put my RT through a space between two cars that narrow on purpose. Just asking for trouble.

Apples, oranges.
Meat, poison.
Trash, treasure.

You don't lane split, mr OP does. He does it within sensible, legal limits. He does it legally and sensibly, in a state where there are written DOT guidelines for lane splitting.

Do not fault the motorcyclist, in order to victimize the
unthinking nitwit (or malicious attacker) who opened his door into the path of a moving motorcycle!

Apparently, to open a door of a moving vehicle on a California freeway is ILLEGAL. Period. Bottom line. To do so, knowing you live in a place where motorcyclists CAN LEGALLY lane split, without looking to see if you can safely open that door... And then, knowing you have struck a motorcyclist, and you don't even stop to see if they are OK?

Intentional strike, attempt to harm, maim, or kill.
Hit and run.
Leaving the scene of an accident.

I hope the driver is fined, at the very least, and hope above all that the guy who opened the door is found guilty of attempted manslaughter or attempted murder.

Last edited:

Over 8 years of riding bikes....and having 17,000 miles on my RT since 07/30/15, that's the first time someone has opened their door in front of me. I have had a few cars try to cut my path on purpose. The reason why I got the camera is because I box cut motioned towards me, and when I seen it, I honked and the passenger and the driver were laughing. I didn't have a camera then, and if he would have taken me out, it would have been hard to prove my case. But, that space isn't that narrow. I had plenty of room there.

Apples, oranges.
Meat, poison.
Trash, treasure.

You don't lane split, mr OP does. He does it within sensible, legal limits. He does it legally and sensibly, in a state where there are written DOT guidelines for lane splitting.

Do not fault the motorcyclist, in order to victimize the
unthinking nitwit (or malicious attacker) who opened his door into the path of a moving motorcycle!

Apparently, to open a door of a moving vehicle on a California freeway is ILLEGAL. Period. Bottom line. To do so, knowing you live in a place where motorcyclists CAN LEGALLY lane split, without looking to see if you can safely open that door... And then, knowing you have struck a motorcyclist, and you don't even stop to see if they are OK?

Intentional strike, attempt to harm, maim, or kill.
Hit and run.
Leaving the scene of an accident.

I hope the driver is fined, at the very least, and hope above all that the guy who opened the door is found guilty of attempted manslaughter or attempted murder.

Well Put!!!!

I drive for my work and I'm in my car during rush hour traffic often. I can tell you that lane splitters (is that spelled right--spell check doesn't like it) come up out of nowhere quite often, and I'm looking for lane splitters, so I can give them more room if needed. FYI, loud pipes make no difference. So, it's quite possible that the passenger had no idea the OP was coming up on them. IMO, most drivers are just ignorant and careless while driving vs out to get us. Clearly the driver is at fault here for a few issues previously stated, but I think it's going way too far to assume the passenger be found guilty of attempted manslaughter or murder. IMO, there's just not enough information to indicate that it was done on purpose. Consequently, we should wait and see what the CHP find out, IMO.

For those of you attempting to read more into what I said I was only stating my personal opinion, period. That is why the sentence started with "I" and did not contain any you, he, they, etc.

Here is the whole scene unfolding in slow motion. If I didn't have the camera, I would be 100% certain he did it on purpose. Not only that, he would have said, " Some motorcycle sideswiped my car." I've watched the video well over 100 times. The timing is perfect if he meant to do it. Even from the time the door opens. My thought is that he was just doing it to scare me, and not hit my bike. It's up to the CHP and DA at this point and I did retain a lawyer. The bigger point that I'm trying to make, without the video, I would have nothing. Not even my word. He could have said I was going 100 mph when I split. I bought the camera in case stuff like this happens, I would have all the evidence.

...and hope above all that the guy who opened the door is found guilty of attempted manslaughter or attempted murder.

Really? Good luck with that.

But to carry on the conversation....
My two cents on lane splitting: Its dangerous but the danger can be mitigated. In areas where car drivers are used to seeing motorcycles split lanes (and respect other drivers/riders) its actually quite safe. When in the San Francisco and LA areas, I do it to avoid sitting for hours in traffic. My experience is that many drivers are watching their mirrors for motorcycles and many even move over to give you room. I always give those drivers a wave of thanks.

Once or twice I've had drivers move over to hinder my progress. I do not react. I simply slow or stop behind them and usually the driver in the parallel lane will move over to allow me to pass. I give THAT driver a wave of thanks. :wave

To the OP: Glad you're safe and sound and hope that the individual who opened the door on you (intentionally or not) gets to have an uncomfortable conversation with the appropriate authorities.

The video does not prove intent to harm. It does prove at least simple negligence and evidently a violation of CA traffic law. Unless the door opener says something to the police to indicate he knew you were there and opened the door to scare you or worse, he will probably get a citation or warning. A civil case seems much more likely to get you results, but how likely is it that he has deep pockets or is insured as a passenger? The driver is more likely to be insured, but what is his liability for what a passenger does? You may have trouble getting a lawyer to take this to court.

The video does not prove intent to harm. It does prove at least simple negligence and evidently a violation of CA traffic law. Unless the door opener says something to the police to indicate he knew you were there and opened the door to scare you or worse, he will probably get a citation or warning. A civil case seems much more likely to get you results, but how likely is it that he has deep pockets or is insured as a passenger? The driver is more likely to be insured, but what is his liability for what a passenger does? You may have trouble getting a lawyer to take this to court.

I agree. But he also has to have an explanation on why he opened the door as well. In my point of view I say it like this. If you're texting where it's illegal and you crash into someone because you were texting, there is an added charge to that. Same thought process here. He may not have intended to hit me, but he was doing something illegal that caused harm to me and damage to my bike.

A lawyer did take on the case. The bigger point I'm making is that: I'm glad I have the GoPro and it caught it. And then of course, the preputial long argument of lane splitting/sharing.

Back