Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lane Sharing/ Splitting car door opens in my path:

Lane Sharing/ Splitting car door opens in my path caught on video:

What are your thoughts on this? In California, it's LEGAL to lane share/split. While I was doing that, a car opened their door in my path.

According to CHP and my insurance, I was in the guidelines. I was not on the line, I was going at a safe speed. The question now comes to, why did the passenger open their door.

Last edited by ric.escalante; 07-01-2015 at 03:53 PM.

Cal
    Because you were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cal Garcia
    Suches, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Because you were there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah.....I'm thinking it was intentional. I have it slowed down, and just can't get over the fact that someone would do that. And the other thing is, if I didn't have my GoPro on, I'd be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by ric.escalante View Post
    According to CHP and my insurance, I was in the guidelines. I was not on the line, I was going at a safe speed. The question now comes to, why did the passenger open their door.
    Who knows why, and I don't plan on second guessing, but I have to wonder why someone would open their car door on a freeway. At least you got the license plate of the SUV. Hopefully, the CHP will follow up with the cars owner, and it would be even better if they let you know the results.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Yeah.....I'm thinking it was intentional. I have it slowed down, and just can't get over the fact that someone would do that. And the other thing is, if I didn't have my GoPro on, I'd be screwed.
    Not so sure. It appears to me that the passenger (who appears to be an early-/mid-teen, i.e., not the people most likely to think about the consequences of their actions) has her head down, as if she is either looking for something alongside the seat, getting ready to spit out a piece of gum, etc. Since the cage traffic is hardly moving, it's not like she was opening the door when it would be "dangerous" (like at 60 mph). So my vote is unthinking youngster, not malice.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA

Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    Not so sure. It appears to me that the passenger (who appears to be an early-/mid-teen, i.e., not the people most likely to think about the consequences of their actions) has her head down, as if she is either looking for something alongside the seat, getting ready to spit out a piece of gum, etc. Since the cage traffic is hardly moving, it's not like she was opening the door when it would be "dangerous" (like at 60 mph). So my vote is unthinking youngster, not malice.
    I'm kind of thinking the same. Rear passenger, probably not looking rearward. Stupidity is more common than ill will.

Did you stop?
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    I'm kind of thinking the same. Rear passenger, probably not looking rearward. Stupidity is more common than ill will.

Did you stop?
    It's just so hard to tell. Only he knows. It's actually a guy in his 30's. I have a screenshot of his face. Yeah, I stopped to the shoulder. Wasn't going to stop in the median. I didn't know their intentions so, so didn't want to get run over. They didn't stop or pull to shoulder. Reported it to CHP and all that. It is illegal to open your door on the freeway in California. So intentional or not, they're responsible for the damage. It was just timed too perfect.

They didn't stop or pull to shoulder. Reported it to CHP and all that. It is illegal to open your door on the freeway in California.
    So they probably have a hit-run violation as well. Good that your video picked up the plate number.

Oh, nice recovery...
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

. It was just timed too perfect.
    The timing was perfect for contact; however that in no way means it was intentional. If he opened it 10 seconds later it would not be a posted video. It is like a deer strike, it really is about the timing, not the intention or the deer.

Look at the persons body position. If they wanted to hit you they would have opened the door and leaned away from contact. This person opened the door and leaned into the contact area. He had no idea you were there.

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post

Oh, nice recovery...

Thank you. The slow mow video shows just how close I was from hitting or actually not hitting the car on my right.

The way I see it, it's like Texting. You didn't mean to rear end the guy, but you were illegally texting, so you're %110 at fault. Same thing with the door. It's illegal to open your door on a freeway. You might not have meant to hit the guy (me), but you should have to suffer the consequences for your actions for whatever (CVC 22517) fine is.

The way I see it, it's like Texting. You didn't mean to rear end the guy, but you were illegally texting, so you're %110 at fault. Same thing with the door. It's illegal to open your door on a freeway. You might not have meant to hit the guy (me), but you should have to suffer the consequences for your actions for whatever (CVC 22517) fine is.
    True. Whatever his intent the drive's insurance has to pay. Out of curiosity what freeway were you on and what city when this occurred?
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Quote Originally Posted by 88bmwjeff View Post
    True. Whatever his intent the drive's insurance has to pay. Out of curiosity what freeway were you on and what city when this occurred?
    5 Freeway Northbound in Mission Viejo. Ridind a R1200RT

Hope it was not a stolen car.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

I don't think it was intentional. Looks like the person made an attempt to quickly close the door once he saw the bike. Maybe was going to pour out a drink onto the pavement.