• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R75/5 engine oil consumption

Oak doesn't give much info in that article but he does in his April 2001 response to a similar question on an R60/6 bike. Torque plates are one thing that is needed...which I believe puts similar compression on the cylinder during boring as it is when on the bike. Oak mentions that an ID grinder setup is probably the best way to go. He suggests that maybe the 600cc bikes could get away with reboring as the amount of steel liner is relatively large. But boring 900 or 1000cc cylinders is not worth it in his estimation because of the skinnier walls. The walls typically end up being snaky or have ripples in them. Oak suggests that the value might not be there either. Reboring requires new pistons and rings to match the new dimensions. A complete set might be a slightly discounted price and could compare well to buying piecemeal parts.

I've read this notion from a number of sources. When I found that my R100/7 cylinders were out of spec, in the end I chose to go with an aftermarket kit which are basically Nikasil thus no steel liner, being lighter and more effective at heat transfer.

Hard to believe a qualified machinist with a nice big cylinder boring machine set up properly, level etc., could not bore a straight hole down a straight cylinder. Talking a half a mm. I think the proper boring machine can take off minuscule amounts of material, thousandths even?

Machinists may comment?

Since I put on the new breather, I rode the bike for 174 miles. I just checked the oil level. Not a single drop was used from what I can tell on my adjustable dipstick, which is set for full at exactly 2.6 quarts (carefully measured-- but with no oil filter change). Seems the deep oil pan holds more than an extra quart as the stock dipstick doesn't see this 2.6 quarts at all unless I screw it in all the way and then only the very tip of the stock dipstick has oil.

In the past, I would be down almost a half quart in about that many miles (before the deep oil pan). Even after the deep oil pan I would notice some difference on the dipstick in 174 miles.

It seems the reed breather helped a lot in my case. With the deep oil pan and the reed breather, it looks like my oil consumption might now be in the normal and reasonable range. But in another 826 miles or so, I will report back on what I now get on a quart. But my gut feeling is that I still won't notice any difference on the dipstick, or not very much difference.

Even though my old breather disc looked good, it seems this reed breather made a nice big difference!

-Don- Reno, NV

I have now ridden my /5 far enough to known that my new oil consumption is around 1,800 miles on a quart with a lot of hard fast riding. That's not nearly as good as many others, but that I can live with.

So I went from 400 miles on a quart of oil to 1,000 miles with the deep oil pan.

With the new reed breather, I went from 1,000 miles on a quart to just under 2,000. I am sure if I ride a little less hard than I have been lately (I was at 96 MPH <as shown on GPS> at WOT for several minutes today, out in the desert), I assume it will do better than 2,000 miles on a quart of engine oil.

So there must have been something flaky about my old breather, but I didn't notice anything unusual with the disk and such.

But from 400 miles on a quart to around 2,000 miles is a nice welcome change. Total improvement is around five times the distance on a quart of oil.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back