• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1998 Ural Deco Classic

lmo1131

The Dnepr/R90 aside for a moment, I've located a 1998 Ural Deco Classic. The seller states is only has 8,500 miles on it and from the images I've seen it's probably correct. It is not equipped with the leading link front forks, but the price is right; $4,500. It's also 17 years old...

Can anyone offer any insight into this old machine, weaknesses in particular?

Stock photo, not the machine I'm looking at

\
$_1.JPG

Thanks Bob. I'm already there. Ya never know whose where so I posted here too.

Turns out that 1998 was the first year Ural offered an electric starter. Trouble with it is that the starter and the alternator are the same unit. And not very good at doing either job. They're referred to as the "grenade alternator".
The most common "fix" is to replace it with a Nippon Denso alternator and use the kick starter. An alternator set up is a big ol' deep discharge marine battery in the chair and total loss electrics...

This model was equipped with a 650cc engine and not exactly what I had in mind for two-up touring. We have a 1,500 foot elevation change here in San Luis Obispo and chugging up the Cuesta Grade in the truck lane on a 650 isn't too appealing.

s7eiR.AuSt.76.jpeg

Late to the party, but you've already found out most of the 650's ills. Don't also forget their crankshafts were notorious for snapping. Some at Soviet Steeds swear by their 650s, but most swear at them.

Ended up buying a '63 Dnepr fitted with '06 Ural engine, gearbox, driveshaft, and final drive.

'06 Urals had an airbox upgrade that made them far easier to service than my '04. I can't remember if the Herzog tranny gears started in '06 or later.

I have no way of knowing, for sure, other than what the seller told me, but he said he bought a Herzog trans from IMWA. It shifts up and down well, but I'm having trouble getting it out of reverse. Sometimes it won't even go into reverse unless I shut the engine down and bump the machine back and forth a bit. Not too comforting at this point. While the speedo (replaced) indicate 11000 K, he told me the transmission only has about 500 klics on it. Could be it njsut needs to be beaten... ahh... broken in.

Doesn't seem to be too much feedback on my post from the Tovarishchi over at Soviet Steeds...

I'll post some pics shortly.

If the tranny only has 50 klicks or so on it, the finicky reverse could just be a break-in issue. I don't remember any adjustments to the reverse lever. Mine has balked once in a great while about going into reverse, but like you said moving the bike around a bit solves the problem.

I've logged about two hundred miles so far. Some issues to sort out. The first one was almost two inches of toe-OUT; that remedied most of the wobble and pull to the right.

The sticky wicket right now is a noise that sounds like tire-rubbing-on-fender in right turns.

The "clocking" of the toe/heel shifter is problematic. I'm tall and have to perch on the back of the saddle so using my heel is difficult. I may have it rotated too far down (the toe end).

IMG_5567_2.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5576_2.jpg
    IMG_5576_2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 89
Back