• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2014 RT Dies at stop light

Went for a short ride and bike shut off at stop light. I had plenty of fuel and it cranked fine but would not start. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer could only find loose battery terminals. Apparently started for them. Could not be the cause since it was cranking with no problem. Heading to Billings on a cross country ride. Now I'm concerned of it happening again some where remote.

ummm, COULD have been the problem: Cranking draws a whole lot of current, and loose terminals are a high-resistance point. There may not have been enough current available to fire the ignition, computer, etc.

But yeah, ride it a bunch locally before calling it "fixed"...

My problem with it in Northern California I won't have time to test it out more than a day or two. I shipped it from Houston to my brothers place. Will be flying back to ride to Billings and than back to Houston. Concerned about going across stretches with no phone service. I'm going to look into the satellite tracking and messaging services. Not sure how road side assistance works in remote situations.

no BMW experience yet, but my 2001 Guzzi California died 3 times this winter while riding. running fine then dead! I sat down with a good cigar and pulled and cleaned every fuse and all of the 5 prong relays. then I checked the battery cables. both were a bit loose. I cleaned and tightened them back and put 5000 more miles on it with no more problems. I bet that was your issue.

Oxymoron: a good cigar...:laugh

That said, cleaning the electrical connections is probably the last thing any of us do. Thanks for the reminder...:thumb

Back