• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Got my Twin Max

kskraye

I have a 2011 R1200GS, I had my sync done at 5K about a year ago, I have 16K on it now, over that period I could tell that the vibration in the H bars was coming back. It was off about .5 to one side, took about 3 minutes and the vibration is back to nothing. Thanks for all the info you guys have put on the site for us new guys. Also Capital Cycle has the Twin Max for about 85.00 on ebay, thats cheaper than going to the shop for 5 minutes.

I have a 2011 R1200GS, I had my sync done at 5K about a year ago, I have 16K on it now, over that period I could tell that the vibration in the H bars was coming back. It was off about .5 to one side, took about 3 minutes and the vibration is back to nothing. Thanks for all the info you guys have put on the site for us new guys. Also Capital Cycle has the Twin Max for about 85.00 on ebay, thats cheaper than going to the shop for 5 minutes.

Having Twin Max and GS911 is very good think.A little investment for peace of mind.I used them only once at cca 6000 mls.Adjusted troottle cable on 2nd cylinder slightly.Will do a check at12000 mls.BTW engine is smooter by more miles.

Steve

Congrats! After the first time you adjust it from out of whack and feel how smooth your bike is, it's all worth it. Did it for my friend and he was impressed as well. It's easy to get used to the vibration, but when it goes away it feels so good.

Just a note of caution: the TwinMax (at least mine) is very sensitive to battery voltage. I've found that even if I disconnect the battery, when I come back 6000 miles later and install it I can't get it to work. So I always put in a new battery.

With a fresh battery you can see the effect of even the slightest adjustment of the throttle cable. With a low battery you won't see that, and in fact quite a bit of tinkering with the cable will get you little or no effect.

Once you think you have it dialed in, switch the two vacuum leads side to side. The needle should not move. If it moves significantly then you're not getting a true reading.

Also, be sure you turn the sensitivity all the way up when you zero the unit. Otherwise you may introduce an electronic bias. DAMHIK.

JayJay

Just a note of caution: the TwinMax (at least mine) is very sensitive to battery voltage. I've found that even if I disconnect the battery, when I come back 6000 miles later and install it I can't get it to work. So I always put in a new battery.

With a fresh battery you can see the effect of even the slightest adjustment of the throttle cable. With a low battery you won't see that, and in fact quite a bit of tinkering with the cable will get you little or no effect.

Once you think you have it dialed in, switch the two vacuum leads side to side. The needle should not move. If it moves significantly then you're not getting a true reading.

Also, be sure you turn the sensitivity all the way up when you zero the unit. Otherwise you may introduce an electronic bias. DAMHIK.

JayJay

Yours must be different than mine, I don't have batteries in it, it uses alligator clips to the bikes battery or a spare I have laying around?

Generation 1 Twin Max had leads to the bike battery or other nearby 12v battery. The later version units contain a 9v battery. Mine is an early unit which connects to the bike or other 12v battery. I put a connector on it so it connects to the bike without digging for the battery.

Buy Twin Max - But Not From Australia

I have wanted a TwinMax for years. Yes Capital Cycle now have the units BUT NO they won't/can't/could not care less about posting it to Australia

What is with posting to overseas destinations by US businesses? They either will not post OR they charge an absolute fortune for the privilege. Yet Max BMW have posted me boxes of parts before !

Can anyone direct me to a business that will sell me the Twin Max unit and then post it to Australia

I have wanted a TwinMax for years. Yes Capital Cycle now have the units BUT NO they won't/can't/could not care less about posting it to Australia

What is with posting to overseas destinations by US businesses? They either will not post OR they charge an absolute fortune for the privilege. Yet Max BMW have posted me boxes of parts before !

Can anyone direct me to a business that will sell me the Twin Max unit and then post it to Australia

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Twinmax-for-BMW-R1150RS-R1150RT-/281554388522?hash=item418df3062a

These guys claim to do sales to Australia.

Generation 1 Twin Max had leads to the bike battery or other nearby 12v battery. The later version units contain a 9v battery. Mine is an early unit which connects to the bike or other 12v battery. I put a connector on it so it connects to the bike without digging for the battery.
Thanks for clearing that up, Paul. Good historical info for a relative newby (I've only had my TwinMax for six years).

I actually think I'd be happier if mine connected to the SAE plug for the trickle charger, that way I wouldn't have to worry about the hassle with a new battery each use.

JayJay

Back