• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My new R1200RS

jamesevans

After the first 1000 km on my new R12000RS I have to say I'm blown away. I traded a 2009RT for this top of the line (Dynamic ESA, Gear shift assist, DWA, DTC, ASC, cruise: everything but the extra lights. I ordered the side cases and the crash bars but neither have arrived yet.:scratch

Why the RS? I wanted another boxer, and I wanted some wind protection. The RT was obviously the sensible choice, but the new styling I found fussy and a bit too staid compared to my old RT. The riding position appealed, too: I always wanted a bit more forward lean on the RT, which incidentally used to give me a wicked pain between the shoulder blades after an hour or two. And finally I just thought it was drop-dead sexy, always a good reason to choose something you don't need.

My report so far: I love the new waterboxer engine, and in this guise it seems to have met its perfect incarnation. It is sporty, responsive, and the bike handles like a dream, with a comfortable ride that far surpasses my old RT: no more harshness from the front end, now there is a wonderful suppleness from the tele fork. There is more dive, and a touch of squirminess under very hard braking (and with the new radial brakes that is VERY hard - I think the back wheel may have been hovering).
The riding position is definitely more sporting, leading to a greater sense of control. One reaches forward to the wide, flat bars, and ones feet are tucked up a little just in the right place to put some weight on them when required. Overall the bike feels very small and light.

Wind protection is certainly less comprehensive, but ones head, while out in the wind, is free from any buffeting. I notice that my faceshield now collects a lot of bugs: I may be in the market for some sort of lip or maybe a taller screen. It's colder round the hands, too. Very pleasant in the summer, when the feeling of being out in the landscape is much greater than on the RT, but I suspect I'll be needing some warmer gear in the Fall.

Gear shift assist and the engine in general are wonderful fun. Together with the exhaust, which is quiet round town but gives a joyous sonorous trumpeting when you wind her up, it makes running up (or down) through the gears a real thrill.

Handling (Metzeler Z8s fitted as standard) is remarkable. The bike sticks like glue, even on our frost-ravaged Canadian roads, confidence-inspiring, stable, without the tendency to drift to the inside of left-handers I found on the RT - I always had to consciously think about road placement on it to avoid coming round a left-hander with my head sticking into the other lane). Of course, maybe that was just me or my bike.

All the other electronic gizmos work as expected, totally unobtrusively. Rain mode on the engine really dials things back, while dynamic mode makes the engine feel a bit more sporty. Road mode suits me best. Dynamic mode on the suspension may be fun on good roads - it's just too hard round here.

Am I pleased? You bet!:):):)

Thanks for reporting your impressions.
It's interesting the Canada bikes have Ride Mode Pro and Dynamic Traction Control.
I don't see those two option on the US R1200RS bikes.
You can get them on the S1000XR but I have not seen them on the RS or R.

Here's a sticker on a US R1200RS
20150619_181558.jpg

Sticker on a US S1000XR
20150619_181433.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for reporting your impressions.
It's interesting the Canada bikes have Ride Mode Pro and Dynamic Traction Control.
I don't see those two option on the US R1200RS bikes.
You can get them on the S1000XR but I have not seen them on the RS or R.

Here's a sticker on a US R1200RS
20150619_181558.jpg

Sticker on a US S1000XR
20150619_181433.jpg

It's an option in the USA $350. it's on BMW web site, it's not part of any package

Jay

Interesting. The Canadian price for all of the above less the Style2 package but including Ride Modes Pro was 20375 plus 799 delivery, total 21174. At the current conversion rate that's US$17224.30 - looks like Canadians might have a deal!:) BTW, as a returning BMW customer I got 2.1% financing, too!

Mine's got Michelin Pilot Road 4s from the factory. USDM. Also disappointed in the lack of rider modes pro. Headlights were aimed low from the factory. For the price we paid I wish it had came with either HIDs or the newer LEDs.

It's more touring than sport. I still dislike the lack of a large tachometer.

Mine's got Michelin Pilot Road 4s from the factory. USDM. Also disappointed in the lack of rider modes pro. Headlights were aimed low from the factory. For the price we paid I wish it had came with either HIDs or the newer LEDs.

It's more touring than sport. I still dislike the lack of a large tachometer.

Did your dealer tell you no Dynamic mode? It's available as an option

Jay

Attachments

• Pro Mode Option R1200RS.jpg
    Pro Mode Option R1200RS.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 548
I bought the launch edition. It only had the touring package.

The dynamic package should have dtc and rider modes pro.

The R1200RS is interesting. My favorite was the R100RS. I went to the dark side with the K100RS and K1200S and came back (mostly) with the R1200GS. I think I have settled on the GS mostly because it's the swiss army knife of BMWs. Not my original characterization but accurate. Since we ride mostly on pavement I put the Pilot Road 4 Trails on the GSes. Very grippy so far. I think in the case of the R1200RS, I would miss the big Touratech bags. I don't really miss the sport position even after riding that way since the mid '70s.

The R1200RS is the first bike BMW has come out with in a long time that really interests me. I owned my share of Oil Heads and currently have a Hex Head but the one bike that still brings a smile to my face each time I think if it, is the 97' R1100RS I owned back then.

Btw, congrats on the new bike.

Who is to say what is wrong and what is right? Ride your own ride. The RS has a higher payload capacity than the GS.

It would probably affect the gas mileage tho.

Who is to say what is wrong and what is right? Ride your own ride. The RS has a higher payload capacity than the GS.

It would probably affect the gas mileage tho.

I think the adventure style bags would look better on a R1200R. Better payload than the RS and GS.

My new R1200RS too!

I've had my new R1200RS for one month as of today and already have 3,000+ miles on it. I love the bike!

This new RS is the perfect combination of the power I had in my '02 K1200RS and is light and nimble like my '13 F800GT. I love the power, the sound, the way it shifts, the way it does not dive during braking and the ESA that works well for different riding styles.

I rode through a substantial amount of rain this past month and found the R12RS to be the most stable bike I have ever ridden in the rain. I'm not sure if it's the bike in general, the optional rain mode or the PR4s, especially since I've had good control in the rain with other PRs on other bikes.

I get a bit of wind on my helmet but there is no buffeting. The bike has the perfect lean for me, and the spread of the handlebars is perfectly comfortable. I have plenty of leg room. The seat has a great contour. I can slide back for a sport position on the twisties or scoot forward for a more upright ride around town and straight highway riding.

I'm a bit disappointed with the mileage but expect that will improve as the bike is broken in. Although I like the contour of the seat, it is a bit stiff. That may also break in with more miles.

All I have to do is walk into my garage an look at my new R12RS and I get a big grin on my face. I love this bike!!

Attachments

• 20150524_113223.jpg
    20150524_113223.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 330
I'm a bit disappointed with the mileage

What, 45 - 50 mpg doesn't do it for you? That's what I'm seeing on my R12RS with only 700 miles on it.

I'm coming off a K1300S where I was lucky to get 37 - 40 mpg. And that was burning Premium.

Gas mileage will decrease over 55mph and even more with his luggage.

Doesn't the RS take premium? Says preferred super unleaded 89AKI/95RON, or regular unleaded 87AKI/ 91RON.... What should USDM be using?

I need to do the filler neck mod. coming up a gallon short every fill up.

Back