Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: GS911: Device compatability?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    186

    GS911: Device compatability?

    Correct me if I am wrong; the GS911 Wifi is compatible with ANY smartphone? How about any computer/laptop with wifi? The GS911 USB is only compatible with a windows format, correct? Not compatible with any Mac OS?

  2. #2
    Liaison 20774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    20,637
    From the website:

    This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity and is compatible with the GS-911 Windows
    PC software for Windows XP and Vista (32 & 64bit), Windows 7 (32 & 64bit) and Windows 8 (32 &
    64bit). To run the PC software on your Mac you will need to install Parallels or Apple Bootcamp.

    It can also connect to ANY device with a browser and wifi to deliver Emergency Functionality (ECU
    information, reading & clearing of Fault Codes, Engine real-time [live] data) on iOS (iPhone & iPad),
    Android devices and Windows Phone 7 & 8 etc...
    Seems like the answer is yes??
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    186
    So the answer to whether it will run on a Mac without installing some windows enabling programs is no? And yes, it will work on any I-phone?

  4. #4
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by banzaibob View Post
    So the answer to whether it will run on a Mac without installing some windows enabling programs is no? And yes, it will work on any I-phone?
    Seems straight forward: "To run the PC software on your Mac you will need to install Parallels or Apple Bootcamp." I run it under Parallels on my OS X MBP, with the older yellow GS911.

    The yellow versions do NOT work with an iPhone -- a fundamental hardware and software issue that will never change.

    The new red GS911's are iOS (iPhone) compatible, accordingly to HexCode.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  5. #5
    rabid reader dbrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Santa Cruz CA
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by mneblett View Post
    The new red GS911's are iOS (iPhone) compatible, accordingly to HexCode.
    But only for what Hexcode calls "Emergency Functionality," not the entire suite. On the GS-911wifi description page , Hexcode says:

    GS-911wifi Enthusiast Version
    This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity, and is for use with Windows™ XP SP3, Windows™ Vista, Windows™ 7 and Windows™ 8, as well as Emergency functionality on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android devices.


    Hexcode's Chart compares the various models.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

  6. #6
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    1,338
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    But only for what Hexcode calls "Emergency Functionality," not the entire suite. On the GS-911wifi description page , Hexcode says:

    GS-911wifi Enthusiast Version
    This product has support for USB & WiFi connectivity, and is for use with Windows™ XP SP3, Windows™ Vista, Windows™ 7 and Windows™ 8, as well as Emergency functionality on iOS (iPhone & iPad) and Android devices.


    Hexcode's Chart compares the various models.
    And that's the stickler. I had a friend with one and an android tablet and he couldn't reset my service reminder. Turns out he needed the windows software to do that minor thing.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  7. #7
    Registered User mneblett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    2,089
    Quote Originally Posted by ponch1 View Post
    And that's the stickler. I had a friend with one and an android tablet and he couldn't reset my service reminder. Turns out he needed the windows software to do that minor thing.
    Not surprising -- that's not emergency functionality.
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA
    #32806

  8. #8
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    The wifi version for at least the new RT allows you to reset the service reminder with an android or iPhone along with a lot of other stuff so long as both devices are on the same wifi network. Device to device wifi is limited to emergency functions only. The cloud functionality is coming a long way.

  9. #9
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,265
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    The wifi version for at least the new RT allows you to reset the service reminder with an android or iPhone along with a lot of other stuff so long as both devices are on the same wifi network. Device to device wifi is limited to emergency functions only. The cloud functionality is coming a long way.
    From what I read, is the wifi version is the connection portal to the bike?
    An Android or iPhone is the portal to a cloud based software package?
    Then- those pieces of hardware work through the cloud?


    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  10. #10
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    From what I read, is the wifi version is the connection portal to the bike?
    An Android or iPhone is the portal to a cloud based software package?
    Then- those pieces of hardware work through the cloud?


    OM
    Yes sir. Phone has an app that connects to the internet and the gs911. Gs911 likewise connects to the phone app via the same wifi network and uses the app and internet connection to manage the software. So long as they are on the same wifi network the phone app and the gs911 connect and use the cloud to communicate the various sensor reads, resets, etc. Works very well and connection takes seconds.

    Essentially you are using the servers in the cloud to do the heavy lifting that a local Windows pc running the software locally would do.

  11. #11
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,265
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    Yes sir. Phone has an app that connects to the internet and the gs911. Gs911 likewise connects to the phone app via the same wifi network and uses the app and internet connection to manage the software. So long as they are on the same wifi network the phone app and the gs911 connect and use the cloud to communicate the various sensor reads, resets, etc. Works very well and connection takes seconds.

    Essentially you are using the servers in the cloud to do the heavy lifting that a local Windows pc running the software locally would do.
    Cool
    It's always nice to realize how the devices work before a purchase. Knowing that a wifi connection is so important is a big deal.
    I've "tagged" up the thread in the hopes it benefits others as well.
    Probably at a point as it's not Hex/Cam specific, I'll move this to gear.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  12. #12
    Registered User Dann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Laval, QC, Canada
    Posts
    432
    I've never used mine over wi-fi
    I find it simpler to just connect the USB cable to my Windows 8 tablet and get access to all the features.
    I'm next to the bike anyway and the supplied USB cable is long enough.

    I just wish there was an extension cable for the bike connector. I would like to be able to take some data while riding but the position of the diagnostic plug on my RT prevents me from installing the seat when the GS-911 is connected. If I had an extension, I could move it to another location under the seat.
    Daniel
    If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
    2007 R1200RT - IBA # 56396

  13. #13
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    There is an extension cable available. I saw them on the main (not USA) site.

  14. #14
    Kool Aid Dispenser! jimvonbaden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Dann View Post
    I've never used mine over wi-fi
    I find it simpler to just connect the USB cable to my Windows 8 tablet and get access to all the features.
    I'm next to the bike anyway and the supplied USB cable is long enough.

    I just wish there was an extension cable for the bike connector. I would like to be able to take some data while riding but the position of the diagnostic plug on my RT prevents me from installing the seat when the GS-911 is connected. If I had an extension, I could move it to another location under the seat.
    It is just a standard USB plug. You can buy longer versions at best buy.

    Jim
    www.JVBProductions.com Now, all videos available via download or DVD, or USB for the Wethead.

  15. #15
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    6,415
    Quote Originally Posted by BMARC153920 View Post
    There is an extension cable available. I saw them on the main (not USA) site.
    BMW or Hexcode site?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •