• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1983 Denpr

lmo1131

A 1983 Dnepr MT12. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on this thing.

Any ugly stories, or critical issues to relate?

Drive train reliability?

Electrical issues?

Thanks all.

Ask about it over on sovietsteeds.com, with pictures if possible. Mechanicals are pretty basic and parts are available, but most Russian bikes that vintage are a hodgepodge of parts from various years. Biggest deal is getting a clear title.

Imported in 2004, title is clear. R90/6 engine conversion. Military surplus, with 500 miles on the clock. Looks good, for it's age. Conversion by Richard Winters in NC.

Thanks for the link.

Last edited:
A 1983 Dnepr MT12. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on this thing.

Any ugly stories, or critical issues to relate?

Drive train reliability?

Electrical issues?

Thanks all.

Reliability.............Zero

Electrical issues..........Yes.

Be Afraid be very afraid, there is a reason they came with a large box of parts when they were knew!

Thanks Martin. Forewarned is forearmed.

I've heard of some drive shaft issues when landing the chair too hard. The electrics on it are all BMW so that isn't an issue. I can imagine how wicking up 900cc paired with a transmission designed for roughly one third of that hp might be a concern. I don't have any plans for off-roading it. But things do happen... .. It's fitted with a remote oil filter, so oil changes are probably not a day long project.

What other reliability issues in particular are you aware of?

A conversion is a different matter and the chair is the best part of a Dnepr. Go for it and have some fun.

The guy is out of town for another week. I have first dibs on it, asking $5,300. Haven't personally seen it yet, but from the videos sent to me it looks to be in very good condition, and the engine sounds sweet.

Needs road tires. Maybe a 450W alternator for the extra lights I'd want, and the heated gloves for my sweetie. Luggage rack, spare fuel cans, etc.

Attachments

• 00S0S_3hfeSM4g8rL_600x450.jpg
    00S0S_3hfeSM4g8rL_600x450.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 00e0e_bgAPh6heXFe_600x450.jpg
    00e0e_bgAPh6heXFe_600x450.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 156
The guy is out of town for another week. I have first dibs on it, asking $5,300. Haven't personally seen it yet, but from the videos sent to me it looks to be in very good condition, and the engine sounds sweet.

Needs road tires. Maybe a 450W alternator for the extra lights I'd want, and the heated gloves for my sweetie. Luggage rack, spare fuel cans, etc.

Very nice looking bike! If it has been running all the time then it should be in decent condition. Some Denpr's had a limited slip dif on the rear, others just a single wheel drive (which is fine for road work). There is a huge pool of Denpr knowledge and owners on sovietsteeds, so definitely check. Price doesn't seem bad if it running, but I know squat about values.

Putting beemer motors in urals is common in Oz, and they tell me they don't brake more rear drives than they do anyway :brad

Those tires are kinda' street tires for Urals/Dnepr's. Duro's (308 street, 307 more block) work pretty good, and considering you tend to wear out pushers fast, $79 a tire ain't bad. More expensive tires are nice too (Avon/Heidenau), but consider the wear bit.

Hope it all works out! Have a ball :dance

This one is one-wheel drive. I was hoping to find a 2WD machine, but given that I will not be doing any serious off-roading (other than the occasional dirt road) I think this rig will work out okay.

I'm not even sure why I want this thing and trying to justify the purchase ... I guess I just need a dose of fun.

I have the 2wd and only times I needed it was when I was trying to get into trouble. Does great in snow with 1wd and Duro 307. Simpler, lighter, probably more trouble-free, 1wd is the way to go. If that rig is well sorted it should be a blast and get boatloads of attention. (hope you like talking to strangers!)

I'm not even sure why I want this thing and trying to justify the purchase ... I guess I just need a dose of fun.
Once you are past food and shelter, it's all extra. It looks like a blast to drive :)
It will be interesting to see how you do on this.
OM

Done Already?

I responded to your other post. Personally I wouldn't give up until I had a copy of the title
and checked the numbers. Take the copy down to the local DMV with a deposit to seller pending registration. As Denpr was bringing in those in 1983 there will be an emission and safety manufacturers certificate on file, same with BMW R90.
Lots of those seem to come about regular but not with the "real" BMW conversion, which makes this unit worth some effort IMHO.

I'm waffling back and forth on this; currently waffling toward "yes". The seller just got back into town, said he needed a couple of days to get back to business as usual, and that he'd give me a call in a couple of days. In the meantime I was able to speak to the CHP VIN Inspector up in Templeton; previously registered in South Dakota was a "+" as far as CHP is concerned. DMV is such a pain in SLO; one visit to get a "Move" permit to drive it down there, and then the actual, hold-your-breath visit for the DMV inspection. Maybe I should run it down to Santa Maria instead (?)

Well, I did it; stepped over to the dark side... bought this 1963 Dnepr with 2006 Ural drive train; engine, transmission with Herzog gear sets, drive shaft and final drive.

The forks are Paioli, which I think I'll convert back to leading link at some point

Attachments

• 63 dnepr.jpeg
    63 dnepr.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 60
Very cool Lew, I would say that will be a great winter project- but you would have to have winter :)
Try to keep the forum informed on how this goes, even the registration business if you can. It might help out others rolling down the same path.
Gary

This is not the rig originally referred to Gary. I drove up to Vallejo Saturday to check this one out. One of the key selling points was that it is currently registered in California. The seller is also the builder so I have a direct Dnurlpr factory support contact.

It has a few quirks; he rewired the whole bike and there is no wiring schematic; I'm okay with DC, and I have a friend that's an ace automotive electrician. The reverse/neutral shifter is a bit sticky (or maybe just has an attitude), and the carburetor enricheners are sticky as well. I don't know nuttin' about about Ural engines, etc. but they're close to airheads, and there are plenty of folks that are familiar with them. I think the all Ural engine/trans/drive shaft/final drive set up is good. I won't be looking for, or having to fabricate, any oddball parts if something goes south.

I took a test ride with the seller, and then we swapped seats (a brave soul he is); the two of us brought the load to just short of 500 pounds. We drove around Vallejo and out onto the freeway for a three or four mile jaunt. It felt solid and has makes it to 60mph in good fashion, brakes are adequate.

One little issue, or I think it's little, is that when I got it home and took it for a short run down the street it had a fairly pronounced front shimmy that it didn't exhibit during the test ride. I'm thinking it may need 100# bag of sand for ballast. I haven't had time to check the usual suspects; steering head bearing, triple clamps, etc.
Toe-in felt good out on the freeway so I don't think that's what's going on.

Couldn't even ride it yesterday. I was raining! Raining in California IN JULY?!?! We got 1.25"; almost half of what we got the whole of last year.

Attachments

• 00909_hFpPbe9i3Xi_600x450.jpg
    00909_hFpPbe9i3Xi_600x450.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 54
I'm back. .. .

the two previously posted pics were taken in the sellers driveway. I took a few more when I got it off the trailer, and just realized I hadn't posted them.

So, without further ado. I've made a few mods since these were taken; leading link forks, euro-bars, my own version of a wiring harness, H4 headlight, etc.

1.jpg 2.jpg

Back