Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1983 Denpr

Well, I did it; stepped over to the dark side... bought this 1963 Dnepr with 2006 Ural drive train; engine, transmission with Herzog gear sets, drive shaft and final drive.

The forks are Paioli, which I think I'll convert back to leading link at some point
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Very cool Lew, I would say that will be a great winter project- but you would have to have winter
    Try to keep the forum informed on how this goes, even the registration business if you can. It might help out others rolling down the same path.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

This is not the rig originally referred to Gary. I drove up to Vallejo Saturday to check this one out. One of the key selling points was that it is currently registered in California. The seller is also the builder so I have a direct Dnurlpr factory support contact.

It has a few quirks; he rewired the whole bike and there is no wiring schematic; I'm okay with DC, and I have a friend that's an ace automotive electrician. The reverse/neutral shifter is a bit sticky (or maybe just has an attitude), and the carburetor enricheners are sticky as well. I don't know nuttin' about about Ural engines, etc. but they're close to airheads, and there are plenty of folks that are familiar with them. I think the all Ural engine/trans/drive shaft/final drive set up is good. I won't be looking for, or having to fabricate, any oddball parts if something goes south.

I took a test ride with the seller, and then we swapped seats (a brave soul he is); the two of us brought the load to just short of 500 pounds. We drove around Vallejo and out onto the freeway for a three or four mile jaunt. It felt solid and has makes it to 60mph in good fashion, brakes are adequate.

One little issue, or I think it's little, is that when I got it home and took it for a short run down the street it had a fairly pronounced front shimmy that it didn't exhibit during the test ride. I'm thinking it may need 100# bag of sand for ballast. I haven't had time to check the usual suspects; steering head bearing, triple clamps, etc.
    Toe-in felt good out on the freeway so I don't think that's what's going on.

Couldn't even ride it yesterday. I was raining! Raining in California IN JULY?!?! We got 1.25"; almost half of what we got the whole of last year.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lew Morris
    1963 Dnepr

I'm back. .. .

the two previously posted pics were taken in the sellers driveway. I took a few more when I got it off the trailer, and just realized I hadn't posted them.

So, without further ado. I've made a few mods since these were taken; leading link forks, euro-bars, my own version of a wiring harness, H4 headlight, etc.

1.jpg 2.jpg
    Lew Morris
    1963 Dnepr