• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

SEAT!!!! 2015 RT with plank for a seat...

...and anything over 200 miles starts the Dance of Discomfort.

I know, I know...Russel Day Long.

But, like Veruca Salt, I want it NOW!!!! And RDL is at least a 2-3 month wait. Not to mention the priciest option out there.

I'm considering a Rocky Mayer. He's coming out with seats for the RT and the GS in the next couple weeks, and I could conceivably ride over there, have it done, and ride back the same day.

Just looking for some input.

Purchase an AirHawk to get you by until you can get the seat you really want.
When you get the seat you can sell the AH.
I think the AH will get you through until your no riding period.
OM

Last edited:
...and anything over 200 miles starts the Dance of Discomfort.

I know, I know...Russel Day Long.

But, like Veruca Salt, I want it NOW!!!! And RDL is at least a 2-3 month wait. Not to mention the priciest option out there.

I'm considering a Rocky Mayer. He's coming out with seats for the RT and the GS in the next couple weeks, and I could conceivably ride over there, have it done, and ride back the same day.

Just looking for some input.
You can imagine what a stock LOW SEAT is like on the RTW. Replaced mine immediately with a Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation) low seat. Huge improvement. Not only that, turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.:)

You can imagine what a stock LOW SEAT is like on the RTW. Replaced mine immediately with a Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation) low seat. Huge improvement. Not only that, turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.:)

I think you know someone :)

Jay

Me three on the Airhawk. Week before last I did two 400+ and one 500+ mile days. I was getting off for a few minutes every hour or so by the afternoon but it worked.

You people have worried. I'm getting 2015 GSA with LOW suspension and SEAT. Of course the dealer said I'll be fine with my 29" inseam.
I've ridden a few SS1000's and a BB1500 on my Honda GL1800 with no problem. Not so sure NOW with the GSA. How expensive are these aftermarket seats?

You people have worried. I'm getting 2015 GSA with LOW suspension and SEAT. Of course the dealer said I'll be fine with my 29" inseam.
I've ridden a few SS1000's and a BB1500 on my Honda GL1800 with no problem. Not so sure NOW with the GSA. How expensive are these aftermarket seats?

I've owned two Wings in the past and they were the only OEM motorcycle seat I've ever had that didn't need to be replaced. Between $400-$800 depending on how crazy you want to get. Worth the money, though.

It's hard to understand how a $20k motorcycle can be sold with such poor quality seats. Apparently BMW rationale is that the majority of owners will replace the seat anyway, so no need to bother with making a decent seat. I have a 2006 R12RT that has the worst stock seat of any bike I have owned except for a Suzuki gs450 that I owned quite a few years ago. I am fortunate that the original owner of my bike forked over big bucks for a Sargent seat. He kept the stock seat and sold it with the bike. I use the stock seat sometimes for riding in traffic because I can reach the ground easier than with the Sargent seat. I can only take about 30 minutes or so with the stock seat before the pain sets in.

It's hard to understand how a $20k motorcycle can be sold with such poor quality seats. Apparently BMW rationale is that the majority of owners will replace the seat anyway, so no need to bother with making a decent seat. I have a 2006 R12RT that has the worst stock seat of any bike I have owned except for a Suzuki gs450 that I owned quite a few years ago. I am fortunate that the original owner of my bike forked over big bucks for a Sargent seat. He kept the stock seat and sold it with the bike. I use the stock seat sometimes for riding in traffic because I can reach the ground easier than with the Sargent seat. I can only take about 30 minutes or so with the stock seat before the pain sets in.
There are a lot of butts out there, how do you design a seat that universally is comfortable for everyone? You can't, period.

I find the stock seat with Alaska pad fine, I've done 900 miles in a single day a couple of times without issue and find the new seat light years better than the previous gen seats.

So the OEM, much like a Sargent or Corbin or any non custom made seat will be good for some, not for others.

With seats, much like ergos there is no way to please everyone, so you go middle of the road.

Ordered my Sargent seat the other day. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Had a Corbin and sold it, Stock seat was better. My son has a Sargent set on his GT and likes it. Hopefully it will good. Interesting as far as stock seats. My son in law had a 2000 R1100R That had and still has the best stock seat ever on a BMW bike.

Ordered my Sargent seat the other day. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Had a Corbin and sold it, Stock seat was better. My son has a Sargent set on his GT and likes it. Hopefully it will good. Interesting as far as stock seats. My son in law had a 2000 R1100R That had and still has the best stock seat ever on a BMW bike.

Had a Sargent on my KRS and was VERY happy with it. Enough so that I too ordered a standard height for my 2015 R1200RT. Will be a couple/three weeks I think, but looking forward to receiving it. :thumb

I had a Sargent on my previous RT. I signed up at Sargent to be notified when the new RT seat would be available and get special pricing. I have not received that email. I know right now I could go to their web site and order a seat but that would not be at a lower price.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a Sargent on my previous RT. I signed up at Sargent to be notified when the new RT seat would be available and get special pricing. I have not received that email. I know right now I could go to their web site and order a seat but that would not be at a lower price.

Pete
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending on how antsy you are, I'd give them call to follow up. When I stopped by there, it seemed like they were pretty backed with new orders.

Depending on how antsy you are, I'd give them call to follow up. When I stopped by there, it seemed like they were pretty backed with new orders.

Hey there I live close by. I called Sargent yesterday and they told me to come by and they would let me test ride a demo seat. Going to try to go by tomorrow morning.

Hey there I live close by. I called Sargent yesterday and they told me to come by and they would let me test ride a demo seat. Going to try to go by tomorrow morning.

Very cool. PM me if you wanna ride.

At first, I considered the low - didn't really think it would be a good idea for the long haul though. Optioned for the standard height.

Back