Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 74

Thread: SEAT!!!! 2015 RT with plank for a seat...

  1. #1
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    55

    SEAT!!!! 2015 RT with plank for a seat...

    ...and anything over 200 miles starts the Dance of Discomfort.

    I know, I know...Russel Day Long.


    But, like Veruca Salt, I want it NOW!!!! And RDL is at least a 2-3 month wait. Not to mention the priciest option out there.

    I'm considering a Rocky Mayer. He's coming out with seats for the RT and the GS in the next couple weeks, and I could conceivably ride over there, have it done, and ride back the same day.

    Just looking for some input.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    11,901
    Purchase an AirHawk to get you by until you can get the seat you really want.
    When you get the seat you can sell the AH.
    I think the AH will get you through until your no riding period.
    OM
    Last edited by Omega Man; 06-06-2015 at 12:40 PM. Reason: manually correct auto correct
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    neanderssance man sedanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pawling NY
    Posts
    792
    Plus one on the AirHawk recommendation.
    Paul
    Stop wrestling with your motorcycle, dance with it.
    2011 R1200RT Traded
    2014 R1200RT fully optioned

  4. #4
    Retired User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by captainmarko View Post
    ...and anything over 200 miles starts the Dance of Discomfort.

    I know, I know...Russel Day Long.


    But, like Veruca Salt, I want it NOW!!!! And RDL is at least a 2-3 month wait. Not to mention the priciest option out there.

    I'm considering a Rocky Mayer. He's coming out with seats for the RT and the GS in the next couple weeks, and I could conceivably ride over there, have it done, and ride back the same day.

    Just looking for some input.
    You can imagine what a stock LOW SEAT is like on the RTW. Replaced mine immediately with a Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation) low seat. Huge improvement. Not only that, turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.
    Bill Mayer
    MOA #98888
    2015 R1200RT

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wills Point, TX
    Posts
    305
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    You can imagine what a stock LOW SEAT is like on the RTW. Replaced mine immediately with a Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation) low seat. Huge improvement. Not only that, turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.
    I think you know someone

    Jay

  6. #6
    One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    303
    Sargent is about to release their highly anticipated 2014+ 1200RT seat any day now. Will be straight plug and play for the heat and will have some nice options available. More info can be had by registering here ------> http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...-R1200RT-2014/
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

  7. #7
    Me three on the Airhawk. Week before last I did two 400+ and one 500+ mile days. I was getting off for a few minutes every hour or so by the afternoon but it worked.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Western New York State
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by themayer View Post
    You can imagine what a stock LOW SEAT is like on the RTW. Replaced mine immediately with a Bill Mayer Saddles (no relation) low seat. Huge improvement. Not only that, turn around time was less than a week, including shipping.
    You people have worried. I'm getting 2015 GSA with LOW suspension and SEAT. Of course the dealer said I'll be fine with my 29" inseam.
    I've ridden a few SS1000's and a BB1500 on my Honda GL1800 with no problem. Not so sure NOW with the GSA. How expensive are these aftermarket seats?

  9. #9
    Registered User captainmarko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by 1der View Post
    You people have worried. I'm getting 2015 GSA with LOW suspension and SEAT. Of course the dealer said I'll be fine with my 29" inseam.
    I've ridden a few SS1000's and a BB1500 on my Honda GL1800 with no problem. Not so sure NOW with the GSA. How expensive are these aftermarket seats?
    I've owned two Wings in the past and they were the only OEM motorcycle seat I've ever had that didn't need to be replaced. Between $400-$800 depending on how crazy you want to get. Worth the money, though.
    Sleep in the trees and keep your knees in the breeze.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Western New York State
    Posts
    186
    Thank you for the info

  11. #11
    Registered User ppalac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    35
    Personally looking forward to the Sargent.

    Was very pleased with the one I had on the K1200RS.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lawrenceville,ga
    Posts
    353
    It's hard to understand how a $20k motorcycle can be sold with such poor quality seats. Apparently BMW rationale is that the majority of owners will replace the seat anyway, so no need to bother with making a decent seat. I have a 2006 R12RT that has the worst stock seat of any bike I have owned except for a Suzuki gs450 that I owned quite a few years ago. I am fortunate that the original owner of my bike forked over big bucks for a Sargent seat. He kept the stock seat and sold it with the bike. I use the stock seat sometimes for riding in traffic because I can reach the ground easier than with the Sargent seat. I can only take about 30 minutes or so with the stock seat before the pain sets in.

  13. #13
    Registered User BMARC153920's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Orange County, NY
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by ducster View Post
    It's hard to understand how a $20k motorcycle can be sold with such poor quality seats. Apparently BMW rationale is that the majority of owners will replace the seat anyway, so no need to bother with making a decent seat. I have a 2006 R12RT that has the worst stock seat of any bike I have owned except for a Suzuki gs450 that I owned quite a few years ago. I am fortunate that the original owner of my bike forked over big bucks for a Sargent seat. He kept the stock seat and sold it with the bike. I use the stock seat sometimes for riding in traffic because I can reach the ground easier than with the Sargent seat. I can only take about 30 minutes or so with the stock seat before the pain sets in.
    There are a lot of butts out there, how do you design a seat that universally is comfortable for everyone? You can't, period.

    I find the stock seat with Alaska pad fine, I've done 900 miles in a single day a couple of times without issue and find the new seat light years better than the previous gen seats.

    So the OEM, much like a Sargent or Corbin or any non custom made seat will be good for some, not for others.

    With seats, much like ergos there is no way to please everyone, so you go middle of the road.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    mooresville, NC
    Posts
    15
    Ordered my Sargent seat the other day. Should have it in about 2 weeks. Had a Corbin and sold it, Stock seat was better. My son has a Sargent set on his GT and likes it. Hopefully it will good. Interesting as far as stock seats. My son in law had a 2000 R1100R That had and still has the best stock seat ever on a BMW bike.

  15. #15
    Motoskivies.....
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 and #364
    SECMOA (BMW MOA secretary)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •