• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT fuel dump?

biliv

Hi, last evening I took my 2000 RT out for a short after work ride. It had been sitting for about a week. I started it up. Just as I was about to mount up I looked down and saw gas pouring out from somewhere underneath about mid point. I shut it off (bummed), wheeled it back into the garage and looked underneath. First I checked the 3 drain tubes, they all appeared dry. I couldn't see anything wet. I'd guess it was pouring somewhere above the catalytic converter. I looked at its parking spot - no stains nor wet spot. I started it - nothing. Took it out for a ride. All was fine. Any ideas?

I don't have any quick connects. Definitely had something to do with the bike being started

Loose crimp on a fuel line, maybe at the fuel distributor. The pressure eventually pushed the line back and it sealed itself off. You need to go through the fuel lines or it will happen again.

It must be a small world or we had the same tech work on our bikes

96 RT.
A couple of months ago, same scenario. Bike out of garage, started and smelled fuel, saw a leak on the right hand side. Shut it off, let cool, repeat. I put the bike away, I had another I could ride and 2 others to work on first.

Fast forward. I pull the tupperware off, no big deal, now that it's done. I got a Yamaha that I believe takes longer... Notice I also have no fuel disconnects. Ok. Start the bike up. Now, No leak.

I am going to use the summer and take my time, go thru the bike. Putting new metal QD's back in because I have them, but also changing all the fuel lines and clamps, internally and externally. Probably going to move the filter.

Dadrider

Back