• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Pump recall question

Texpaul

Lost again
I have a '05 1200GS. Looks like I'm going to have to do the free fuel pump replacement but have one question. Several times when in dealerships on the road I was offered the free replacement but never did it because, honestly, if it's working why mess with it.
I understand that they replace the entire component that drops into the tank (which includes the pump) but was told at one dealership that the '05 models also require the dealer replace the fuel manifold system (the series of pipes the route the fuel to the throttle bodys) as well.
Anybody out there done this on an '05 and can confirm or dispute the replacement of the manifold?

I don't have a GS, but I do have a copy of the BMW Service Information Bulletin describing the recall. GS and GS Adventure bikes have very different fuel systems from the rest of the affected motorcycles, and may require more extensive work. However, components aren't automatically replaced; it depends on the results of the inspection done at the beginning of the recall procedure.

When I had the recall done on my 2008 RT, the service writer told me, that after examination of the pump, they would replace the pump assembly if there were cracks present. If no cracks, a reinforcing ring would be attached.

Had mine done yesterday on a 2010 R1200RT 21k miles. Only minor cracks so they put the ring on.

I know about the fuel strip replacement but not heard about the fuel pump. Care to share any details?

I have a '05 1200GS. Looks like I'm going to have to do the free fuel pump replacement but have one question. Several times when in dealerships on the road I was offered the free replacement but never did it because, honestly, if it's working why mess with it.
I understand that they replace the entire component that drops into the tank (which includes the pump) but was told at one dealership that the '05 models also require the dealer replace the fuel manifold system (the series of pipes the route the fuel to the throttle bodys) as well.
Anybody out there done this on an '05 and can confirm or dispute the replacement of the manifold?

----I was told on a 10 year old bike that the would be cracked! They did the replacement recall today on my 05. Mine was working fine also but matter a time i guess till they become a problem. No manifold parts replaced from the repair order I received upon completion.---

Back