• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

fork upgrade for R100GS?

mysteriousfish

Returned from a ride in the Gorge this weekend to discover my left fork seal has blown and pumping fork oil out of the rubber. Have been meaning to upgrade my fork springs, now I have an incentive to dive into a fork rebuild (ha, no pun intended). I have used Progressive spring upgrades on my previous airheads, but wondering if anyone has experience with the Racetech springs and or Gold Valve emulator upgrade? Is the emulator kit worth it? I don't have a drill press and am considering shipping the fork legs to Racetech to rebuild ...anyone have experience with their service department's knowledge of airheads? Chuck? Guenther? thanks for the help..

btw, just saw a sweet '88 R100 with low mileage FS on portland C.L.; have not seen the bike, but looks nice:)

I know that you're asking about a GS and I have an 85 RT with Brembo sliders, but I just sent the forks (and new seals) to RaceTech and they got my weight, riding style etc and then sent me back forks that had been machined a bit to fit the emulators and new springs. It was like getting a brand-new and vastly improved front end. That was at least 10 years ago and I've never regretted the decision.

hey Michael, I replaced my springs with RaceTech springs, replaced the left side internals and put a gold valve on both sides. I have been thrilled with the results. the job was straight forward, I drilled the holes with a hand drill, no troubles. I would let you ride my bike, but I have challenges of my own. here is a picture I took yesterday :)

Attachments

• DSC00923 A.jpg
    DSC00923 A.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the great feedback...Kurt, you are an amazing archivist, and appreciate your patience as you help us find those valuable old threads with so much useful information!
Hope to find time this weekend to extract the fork legs and ship them off to Racetech for a rebuild...Chuck, looks like you got your hands full there...good luck!

Back