• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 K75C : Will LED tail light bulb work with brake light test circuit ?

tjtraver

I want to upgrade the brightness of my K75 lighting and wanted to switch to LED tail light bulb.
Will this work ? Or will it show as a blown bulb to brake light test circuit ?

Has anybody switched to LED that can confirm ?

Thanks , Todd

I tried it a few years ago and the warning light stayed on. Later/newer LED lamps might be different. I can't say for sure.

I have read that a resistor in parrallel with the LED is required. That results in the proper resistance being detected by the bulb monitor. But, I don't remember where I read it or the exact details.

I believe you can add additional LEDs in parrallel with the stock taillight or brake light without the resistor, but not replace without the resistor. Some specific application LEDs come with the resistor built in for vehicles with bulb monitors.

:dance:dance:dance

I have read that a resistor in parallel with the LED is required. That results in the proper resistance being detected by the bulb monitor. But, I don't remember where I read it or the exact details.

I believe you can add additional LEDs in parallel with the stock taillight or brake light without the resistor, but not replace without the resistor. Some specific application LEDs come with the resistor built in for vehicles with bulb monitors.

:dance:dance:dance

I don't have the resistor details either, but I can confirm your 2nd thought. Additional LEDs wired into the back of the brake bulb work great and do not affect the Bulb Warning system.

Of note: if you do workout a replacement LED, make sure you get a VERY BRIGHT RED bulb. I (before I switched back to the incandescent bulb because of the bulb warning light) discovered that the LED bulbs are not actually brighter than the original.

I purchased (cheap) 9 LED bubs - I'm starting to shop for 12/15 LED bulbs now.

LEDs

Hyperlites are a great addition also. https://hyperlites.com/
I've got them wired upstream of my lights and no warinigs. I tried LED drop ins and had the panel warning wight come up.

No problem with the Hyperlites and they are VERY bright.

Back