• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I want to add a driving lamp...

BC1100S

Left Coast Rider
...to my '03 R1100S.

There are many available, each with their own wiring harness, relay and switch. I kinda like the one from Wunderlich....
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/R1100S/8600530.html

Here's my question: I want to operate this lamp with my high beam switch. Can I simply splice into the existing high beam wires or I am courting a visit from the friendly local fire department? The unit itself draws 55W.

What say you, o' gurus of all things electrical?

It is unlikely to be a good idea to just tap power off the high beam. The draw would likely be too high. Better to use a relay and use the high beam tap as switched power for the relay.

You can do it like this:

4%20Auxlightwirediagram.jpg

The relay hooks up like this:

2%20basicrelay.jpg

Adding a switch allows you to turn it off even with the high beams on. You can add power and use a double throw switch so you can turn the lights on without the high beam too.

Jim :brow

LED might be cheaper and brighter?

From the description: ”The kit includes the bracket, lamp, bulb, relays, switch +wiring and all that is needed to fit it.”
I guess you could tie the relay trigger to your existing high beam (or low beam, if it is a driving light) wiring, instead of using the switch that comes with the light. That would put a very minimal additional load on the existing switch. Better yet, you could run both the existing and the additional lighting through the relay, and get a bit higher voltage and therefore better light output from your existing light (unless the S already uses relays for the headlight?).

Or you could do all that, but with a higher output LED instead of this 55W halogen light.

get a set of fork mount driving lights that can stay on all the time. LEDs are a good choice. better for conspicuity.
get a set of HIDs as replacements for your stock lighting. I've been running like that for over 12 years- yet to replace anything on the HIDs. the halogens I've been running as driving lights last about 40K miles, give or take.

Not quite the same as what I've been running, but I bet these would work nicely.
http://www.bmwmotorcycleaccessories.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=light+brackets

Use your high beam wiring as the trigger signal for a relay. A separate switch is just a distraction and just something else to fail (you're going to have to use a relay anyway).

A little late to the party...usual excuses, finishing the new house, moving in, cleaning up the rental house, yada, yada, yada.

Set up I got for my S is similar to what I used on my 1150R. Hella FF50's, Autoswitch (utilizes the turn signal cancel button as the auxiliary light switch. On the R, I just screwed the mounts to the bottom of the oil cooler shrouds. For the S I got a set of brackets (brand name when I can remember!) that mount to the valve cover bolts. Stuff is still in boxes, and "available". I don't ride at night anymore...

I used the fog beam pattern On my 1150R and found I could leave them on all the time without distracting other drivers, these FF 50's are sort of old school halogens but put a lot of light out on the road.

Now, back to unpacking two million boxes...lol.

Cheers! Bill

Last edited:
Use your high beam wiring as the trigger signal for a relay. A separate switch is just a distraction and just something else to fail (you're going to have to use a relay anyway).

Yes, but I like to be able to fully control my lights. As for the switch being "something else to fail", seriously? It can't get more simple than a switch!

Jim :brow

And an add on comment, after re-reading all the posts, including that OP guy from north of the border.

That microflooter from Wunderlich is pretty cool, especially if you're not looking specifically for a conspicuity feature. I like the triangle of light with low mounted auxilary lights, and the Hella fog lamps really light up the deer traps along the roadsides. But a pure ultra bright driving light is a whole 'nother story.

The switch I mentioned previously is (I think) still available from Aerostich. Or...I have one available for the price of one beer (maybe two?), someday...say in Billings?. Or Port Angeles? :)

Cheers! B

PS. A bit OT, but my memory banks refreshed automatically, and the brackets I mentioned earlier that mount to the valve cover bolts are called Talon mounts by Hawksproducts, and advertised in the ON. Amazing how the brain pops up these tidbits when you quit "trying" to remember.

Back