• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Member In transition (East to West)

johncanty

Good day all,

I am new to the BMW MOA forums and BMW MOA in general. I presently live on the east coast in beautiful and free New Hampshire. At the end of July I will be moving west to sunny California. Bay area to be a bit more precise. I ride a G650gs 2014 model year. Great bike, Very surprised at the abuse it takes and just keeps chugging along. I have ridden many highway miles and some single track mountain bike trails on this bike. I joined here for two reasons. This seems like a good place for general information on the BMW product and a good place to make a few friends in a new home. I should be making my journey across country on the last week of July, on the G650gs. I really wanted to do some desert riding, the timeline doesn't work out for that. I am not too keen on the dangers associated with the heat that time of year. Also with the the shortened time to do the trip, it will likely be centered around highway 80 most of the way. I am looking forward to it.

Enjoy,

John

I am new to the BMW MOA forums and BMW MOA in general. I presently live on the east coast in beautiful and free New Hampshire. At the end of July I will be moving west to sunny California.
I should be making my journey across country on the last week of July, on the G650gs. Also with the the shortened time to do the trip, it will likely be centered around highway 80 most of the way.

John welcome to the MOA.
We live about 30 miles south of I-80 in Iowa and you're welcome to stay with us a night if it works out for you on your trip west.
It will depend on when you leave.
Around July 25th we are headed to Wanakena New York and then Woodsville New Hampshire. We're approx. 1,400 miles from Woodsville.
If you're in Iowa before the 25th and need a place to stay drop me a PM.

Sound like a good trip. As well as small side trip to stop an find out what the BMW is all about by stopping in Billings, MT at the National Rally.

G650gs

"Great bike, Very surprised at the abuse it takes and just keeps chugging along. "

When I bought my G650GS, the tires were on backwards and the aircleaner was full of peas from a squirrel's winter stash. Still ran, but a bit rough. This bike will survive pretty much anything.

Welcome Aboard!

Welcome to the club and the forum! Good luck on you move west!

If the timing works out you should stop in Billings, MT and join us for a few days at the International Rally, 7/23-26/15

Thanks for being a member!

Thank You.

John welcome to the MOA.
We live about 30 miles south of I-80 in Iowa and you're welcome to stay with us a night if it works out for you on your trip west.
It will depend on when you leave.
Around July 25th we are headed to Wanakena New York and then Woodsville New Hampshire. We're approx. 1,400 miles from Woodsville.
If you're in Iowa before the 25th and need a place to stay drop me a PM.

Thank you for the invite, I am most likely headed out on the 25th, so we will pass each other en route to our destinations. My route is not fully set, but I am using road trippers to get a good idea of where I will be and when. If I can get enough pictures I will write a ride report. I would like to my plan to consume 5 days of riding, and leave the other 4 for the unforeseen. If things go too well, I can find a way to consume a few extra days between Colorado and Tahoe area.

Link to road trippers map.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. DaveinCalgary - I am glad you agree with my assessment of the G650gs I always like to get some input on the bike when ever I can. I picked up a cool bit of info from ADV rider, I guess the G650X mount for the voltage regulator can be put on our bikes. If you run a skid plate the regulator in it's stock location is covered by the plate. By using the G650X bracket you can get the regulator back out in the open air. This is supposed to improve battery and regulator life. I am going to try it before I head out on my trip.

Regards,

John

Back