• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

I hope this is it!

jmerlino

Stressed Member
Okay, so... a couple of times this season, I've had this intermittant starting problem. I'd hit the starter switch, and.... nothing. It usually resolved itself, with the bike starting after 3 or 4 tries. I had thought that it was a weak charging/low battery condition that was doing it, and this thought occurred to me again when it happened on Sunday, as I was wearing heated gear, and I thought that the battery might have depeleted because of it.

So, Tuesday, I installed a heavy duty diode board and a high output voltage regulator. I also gave the battery a full charge. I didn't think any more about it until today when I decided to take the bike on a test run/errand. I pulled the bike out , hit the starter, and ... nothing.

So this time, I payed close attention to what was going on, because knew it couldn't be the battery. I heard the starter relay clicking and just for the hell of it, I pulled it off, and then plugged it back in. The bike started right up. After cleaning the contacts, and reassembling everything, I went to my mechanic and bought a new one. The bike seems to be starting fine now.

Let's just hope this is it, and it doesn't leave me stranded in the wilds of Vermont this weekend.

flash412 said:
That's when you snort a gram of cocaine and then push your motorcycle all the way home.

Hey man, want me to paint your house?

Back