• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do I fix a stupid mistake?: 2004 R1150RT Clutch balance

banzaibob

The slave cylinder failed and puked fluid all over the friction disc. It was ruined. Removed the entire clutch pack from the bike. I forgot if I indexed the position of the components but it doesn't matter anyway because the shop that rebuilt the friction disc ALSO ran the pressure plate, spring and housing cover through a shot blasting machine to clean it up. Therefore any marks I may have made are now gone. My concern of course is that this entire thing will be WAY out of balance.

How in the heck do I fix this? Is there anyway to determine overall balance of the entire clutch pack/flywheel once the index marks have been lost?

New parts I have bought had no marks on them.
Done a few with no balance issues including my own twice.

Drill a hole in the transmission as below.
A fluid leak or trans oil leak will not contaminate the clutch again.

Check with that clutch shop to see if they can balance the individual components or the complete assembly without the spring and disk if you give them the flywheel, support plate and hardware. If they can do the assembly, try different orientations to find the best combination. If they can do individual components, just have them mark the heavy side without acutally balancing. The R1150 clutch cover and pressure plate I just got from Max had the heavy sides marked.

Back