• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'14/'15 RT Tire Wear

dlorenz

What make/model, your riding style and how many miles are you getting front/rear please. I'm chewing these things up. Not that I mind buying rubber. Just wondering about others experience thus far.

Tire ware is subjected to too many factors. I never get long life compared to what I see in forums. You’ll have some that get 10,000-15,000 miles out of a rear tire. When is the tire gone, for some it’s when the cord is showing. I don’t know what roads they ride and what speeds they travel at but when I get over 5,000 miles I’m ok.

The roads by me are Chip N Seal, with 70 mile an hour speed limits. This make for very poor tire life. I’m sure if I road them at 55 miles per hour tire life would greatly improve.

For me I don’t listen to others about tire life, it just depresses me, ride it the way you want and keep that smile.

Jay

9700 miles on PR4 GTs, F&R. Almost to the wear bars. Pretty cupped, they sang to me in corners and turn-in sucked. Roads are generally good asphalt although there are some tar&chip roads around. 50% slab and 50% backroad, but they're not very twisty and I'm not very aggressive. This is the first set of replacement tires on my RTW.

My 2015RT came delivered with Metzler Roadtec's (can't remember the exact model... Z8's maybe???) and I love them! I can't speak to how long they will last as I only have just over 3k mi on them. But what I can attest to is how nice and sticky they are and provide great feedback. After 2 rallies up in the NC, TN, and GA mountains I have taken these tires to the very edge with great confidence. Will probably order another set once these are finished!

My 2015RT came delivered with Metzler Roadtec's (can't remember the exact model... Z8's maybe???) and I love them! I can't speak to how long they will last as I only have just over 3k mi on them. But what I can attest to is how nice and sticky they are and provide great feedback. After 2 rallies up in the NC, TN, and GA mountains I have taken these tires to the very edge with great confidence. Will probably order another set once these are finished!

My 14 RT came with Metzler Z8's, I too liked them butt... At a rally in Oklahoma about 300 miles from home I looked over the tires with my clubs Tourmister we both agreed I had about 1500 plus left on the rear. I had cord showing when I got home 4900 miles. I'm not complaining about tire life, I don't seem to do well anyway (4500-6500) I ride a lot of Chip N Seal at speed, not good on tire life... My problem with them is no wear bar in the center, I won't buy them because I unable to predict how much tire is left.

Jay

I'll replace my Metzelers with Road Pilot 4s at the 12600 service. Mostly commuting for me on asphalt and country roads. Nowhere near bald and still good in rain

What make/model, your riding style and how many miles are you getting front/rear please. I'm chewing these things up. Not that I mind buying rubber. Just wondering about others experience thus far.

My '14 RTW came with Conti Road Attacks. The rear was worn to the threads at exactly 6000 miles. The front was not as bad. I had them replaced with PR4 GTs. I live 23 miles from the Dragon, but I'm old. About 40% of my mileage is on interstates.

Back