Thread: '14/'15 RT Tire Wear

'14/'15 RT Tire Wear

What make/model, your riding style and how many miles are you getting front/rear please. I'm chewing these things up. Not that I mind buying rubber. Just wondering about others experience thus far.
    2015 R1200RT
    Ilium Crash Bars, Illium Pegs, Clearwater Erikas, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Wunderlich Vario Levers, Bakup Rest, Paint-Matched 49L Top Case.

Tire ware is subjected to too many factors. I never get long life compared to what I see in forums. Youíll have some that get 10,000-15,000 miles out of a rear tire. When is the tire gone, for some itís when the cord is showing. I donít know what roads they ride and what speeds they travel at but when I get over 5,000 miles Iím ok.

The roads by me are Chip N Seal, with 70 mile an hour speed limits. This make for very poor tire life. Iím sure if I road them at 55 miles per hour tire life would greatly improve.

For me I donít listen to others about tire life, it just depresses me, ride it the way you want and keep that smile.

Jay

Oh, I'm smiling!
    2015 R1200RT
    Ilium Crash Bars, Illium Pegs, Clearwater Erikas, Wunderlich Touring Screen, Wunderlich Vario Levers, Bakup Rest, Paint-Matched 49L Top Case.

9700 miles on PR4 GTs, F&R. Almost to the wear bars. Pretty cupped, they sang to me in corners and turn-in sucked. Roads are generally good asphalt although there are some tar&chip roads around. 50% slab and 50% backroad, but they're not very twisty and I'm not very aggressive. This is the first set of replacement tires on my RTW.
    2016 R1200 GSA

One Ring To Rule Them All AirBender's Avatar
    My 2015RT came delivered with Metzler Roadtec's (can't remember the exact model... Z8's maybe???) and I love them! I can't speak to how long they will last as I only have just over 3k mi on them. But what I can attest to is how nice and sticky they are and provide great feedback. After 2 rallies up in the NC, TN, and GA mountains I have taken these tires to the very edge with great confidence. Will probably order another set once these are finished!
    "Are you living life the way you were meant to, or how you have been led to think you are supposed to?"
    1989 Yamaha FZR 400 Racebike (r.i.p.), 2009 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold), 1983 custom naked Honda Goldwing (sold), 2015 San Marino Blue BMW R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by AirBender View Post
    My 2015RT came delivered with Metzler Roadtec's (can't remember the exact model... Z8's maybe???) and I love them! I can't speak to how long they will last as I only have just over 3k mi on them. But what I can attest to is how nice and sticky they are and provide great feedback. After 2 rallies up in the NC, TN, and GA mountains I have taken these tires to the very edge with great confidence. Will probably order another set once these are finished!
    My 14 RT came with Metzler Z8's, I too liked them butt... At a rally in Oklahoma about 300 miles from home I looked over the tires with my clubs Tourmister we both agreed I had about 1500 plus left on the rear. I had cord showing when I got home 4900 miles. I'm not complaining about tire life, I don't seem to do well anyway (4500-6500) I ride a lot of Chip N Seal at speed, not good on tire life... My problem with them is no wear bar in the center, I won't buy them because I unable to predict how much tire is left.

Jay

I'll replace my Metzelers with Road Pilot 4s at the 12600 service. Mostly commuting for me on asphalt and country roads. Nowhere near bald and still good in rain
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

Quote Originally Posted by dlorenz View Post
    What make/model, your riding style and how many miles are you getting front/rear please. I'm chewing these things up. Not that I mind buying rubber. Just wondering about others experience thus far.
    My '14 RTW came with Conti Road Attacks. The rear was worn to the threads at exactly 6000 miles. The front was not as bad. I had them replaced with PR4 GTs. I live 23 miles from the Dragon, but I'm old. About 40% of my mileage is on interstates.