• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Keyless Fuel Cap will not lock closed

I spent two hours once at a CA gas station while my riding companion tried to get the locking gas cap unlatched on his K-bike, so he could fuel up and head across the Mojave. The prospect of a non-functional computerized gas cap failing in Pavement Narrows, MT or Tok, AK and not being able to be bypassed or repaired onsite, like we did with that K-bike, leaves me cold. Cold and wondering two things: is there a published procedure to bypass a failed cap/computer connection, and if not--can the computerized cap be replaced with a simple key lock cap? The computerized cap looks to me like a poor solution in search of a problem...

Best ,
DG

My fuel cap isn't the keyless type but the hinge section of it recently broke - so now I'm wondering whether the whole assembly could be replaced by one of those "CNC billet" threaded caps. I've seen them offered for the S1000RR models but not for the GSW. Anyone know of a simple cap suitable as a replacement for the locking cap?

My fuel cap isn't the keyless type but the hinge section of it recently broke - so now I'm wondering whether the whole assembly could be replaced by one of those "CNC billet" threaded caps. I've seen them offered for the S1000RR models but not for the GSW. Anyone know of a simple cap suitable as a replacement for the locking cap?
There are a few sold on eBay a few people from the K1600 forum got them for thier bikes. Maybe they have similar for the RT, worth a search.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Why is it so complicated to close a simple gas cap. Sheesh! Techno whizbang run amok no doubt.

Excactly why I did not order the keyless feature on the new R1200 GS Adventure I just ordered.

And exactly why I still have two airhead GSes.

I believe in the KISS principle.

If it really is keyless, why do I need to carry a transmitting fob?

Because we don't have ID chips embedded in our butts?

Yet.

If it is possible with cell phones, why not micro-chips? :dunno

Cell%20Phone%20Yappers.jpg

Oh come on...that is a good one. My feelings on distracted driving...hell, its better than the 45 cal. method I'd sooner use.

Can someone confirm...

If I ordered my new R1200 GS Adventure without the keyless feature, I hope that means I have a normal everyday gas cap that uses a key.

Unfortunately, I could not order it without ABS as I did both my R1150 GS Adventures.

Can someone confirm...

If I ordered my new R1200 GS Adventure without the keyless feature, I hope that means I have a normal everyday gas cap that uses a key.

Unfortunately, I could not order it without ABS as I did both my R1150 GS Adventures.

Yes, you use the ignition key to open the gas cap.

Check below using the Tag Cloud. This topic has been Tagged to other similar cases.

OM

I'm hoping this old thread will help me. I'm trying to retrieve a 2016 R100RT with keyless ignition. I have the fob. The fuel light is on. How do I get the fuel cap open to put fuel in? Trying to get the bike to put up for sale for an estate.

I can start it and open all the luggage. Not exactly like my airheads!

I am already humiliated ! I'm sure the answer is simple. Just not as simple as me.

Turn on bike, turn off bike, lift fuel cap tab cap will follow.

Turn on bike, turn off bike, lift fuel cap tab cap will follow.

Old thread but helped me.... thanks to the persons that actually had something constructive to add.

I added a City bag ring to mine and couldn't get it to close.

Mike

Timely resurrection of the thread. I had this problem yesterday on my 21 GSA and ended up removing the Givi Tanklock ring, before a fellow rider gave me the solution. The cap does seem resistant to close now though; had to give it a firm whack with the heel of my hand…

Back