• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Keyless Fuel Cap will not lock closed

cberry

Chuck Berry
2015 R1200 GSA LC, circa 10K miles

Fueled up normally, and now can not get the fuel cap to lock in the closed position. I've tried several combinations of ignition ON or OFF and no matter how much steady pressure I apply to the cap, it will not snap closed.

Anybody else had this problem? Any field fix identified by anyone?

On my 2015 GSA, I found that after laying the fuel cap down, I reliably get it to latch securely by hitting lightly with my balled fist.

Don

My 2015 R1200R has the keyless fuel cap. It takes either a hard push or a decisive rap with the knuckles to get it closed. If either of these two methods will not close your cap then an adjustment of the catch mechanism may be required.

When you open the cap, you lift the level/flap. If you look closely, you'll see that when the flap comes up, it pulls a tab under the front edge of the cap into the cap, nearly flush. This pulls the tab out from under the corresponding retaining bits under the cap ring.

If you lift the flap up as you close the cap, you again withdraw the tab into the cap and avoid having to hammer the cap so hard to get the extended tab back under the cap ring retaining part. It may take a couple tries to get a sense of when you can let go of the flap, but even if you don't get the cap fully locked the first time, the tab is at least withdrawn far enough that only a light push is needed to get the closing "click."

All this gadgetry seems to be a carry-over from the automotive industry. The computers are there anyway so it's off we go :bolt

We do seem to have come full circle from where the Model-T began as we are back to push-button start :)
OM

oosik and menblett both receive Honorable Mention but no one gets a cigar! Their suggestions led me to continue the quest for truth. The problem has been solved and the definitive solution is as follows:

The external flap will, in fact, retract the internal tab fully, leaving some space between it and the other structures while held manually in the retracted position. But, the problem in this case was that the internal locking device, technically known as the 'shiny doughnut'. This thingy was 'in the way' of the cap's tab. Turning ON the ignition allows one to manually reposition the doughnut with a Mark 1, Mod 0 fingernail, thereby eliminating the interference and allowing the cap to close and 'snap'' properly. QED

Ish bien eine German Engineer. My English good, No? Thanks to all who commented.

But, the problem in this case was that the internal locking device, technically known as the 'shiny doughnut'. This thingy was 'in the way' of the cap's tab. Turning ON the ignition allows one to manually reposition the doughnut with a Mark 1, Mod 0 fingernail, thereby eliminating the interference and allowing the cap to close and 'snap'' properly. QED[/B]
Ok, I'm lost -- what shiny donut thingy?? Any chance of a pic?

BTW, thanks for the thread -- it made me take a closer look at my fuel cap, and I learned how to very gently close the cap. The former engineer in me will be happier knowing I do not need to "whack it" to get it closed, which only accelerates wear.

I don't think you will need a picture...Just open the cap and look in the hole on the forward edge; there's only one thingy there, and it is associated with the latch.

Careful, Paul, your :gerg is showing!

Maybe, but I am always open to being better educated. So, anybody, what are the distinct advantages to this computer controlled gas cap? Do the advantages outweigh any increase in production cost? Are there documented work arounds when it fails to work, like say an anti-theft antenna ring for example.

Maybe, but I am always open to being better educated. So, anybody, what are the distinct advantages to this computer controlled gas cap? Do the advantages outweigh any increase in production cost? Are there documented work arounds when it fails to work, like say an anti-theft antenna ring for example.
Actually, I'm generally with you on this.

The keyless system was on my bike when purchased; I would not have added it to a new order. That said, I have found it to be much more convenient than I expected.

As to what do you do when it fails -- unless you have the tools/knowledge at hand you're, um, on the receiving end of a helical fastener. You *can* overcome the failure, but it requires disassembling the tupperware to the point that you can access and disassemble the solenoid and tank ring to manually release the latch.

Initially I was not thrilled at the prospect of an additional point of potential failure, but I'm sitting on the fence now -- it is convenient enough that I'm willing to take the risk. Then again, I carry a quite well-stocked tool kit, so a failure would be an annoyance, not a trip-stopper for me.

I installed a bags connection city bag to my just purchased RT. The horseshoe ring requires 4 of the bolts be replaced. When I screwed in the longer bolts I tightened them hand tight. The tank bag dropped on real easy. Took bag off to try to open gas cap. I could not get it to release. I loosened the two screws on either side of latch. Got cap opened and closed. I then proceeded to tighten the screws a little at a time trying gas cap between tightening. Got screws back to hand tight and all works well. You may want to loosen then tighten the screws.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What worked for me

After reading the posts, I went out and tried to close my '16 R1200R keyless fuel tank. I tried turning the ignition on and fiddling with the silver ball at the front of the opening; no luck. I then turned the ignition off, with key in my pocket, pushed the silver ball all the way back, and lowered the cap with the tab raised, and it clicked shut. I hope it works next time!

After reading the posts, I went out and tried to close my '16 R1200R keyless fuel tank. I tried turning the ignition on and fiddling with the silver ball at the front of the opening; no luck. I then turned the ignition off, with key in my pocket, pushed the silver ball all the way back, and lowered the cap with the tab raised, and it clicked shut. I hope it works next time!
And- Welcome to the forum BC!
Gary

And once again at grave risk of being called a Luddite, I will observe that I can think of no excuse whatsoever for needing to fiddle around with silver balls to close a gas tank lid. Eeek!

So, anybody, what are the distinct advantages to this computer controlled gas cap? .

I don't even like gas caps that require a key to open.
One time in the early 90s I had the gas cap lock fail on my K75.

Back