Thread: Cost of 24K service - be warned!

Cost of 24K service - be warned!

So I brought my 2014 C650GT into the dealer for the 24K service, and boy am I thankful that I purchased the Priority Maintenance Plan from Western Services Contract (Long Beach BMW, my dealer, had just started carrying the service). I paid about $2K for the next 6 factory-standard services, and while I saved $400+ on the 18K service (according to the service manager) when I saw the bill for the 24K service I almost plotted - a tad over $2700! And that was just the BMW-prescribed service - no tires.

So for those of you nearing that milestone, be prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by bobfately View Post
    I saw the bill for the 24K service I almost plotted - a tad over $2700! And that was just the BMW-prescribed service - no tires.
    Wow, on my RT the 24k service was around $800...I, like you, purchased the prepaid service. That was quite a good deal.
    Larry
    Midnight Blue 2013 BMW R1200RT (36,092 miles from 9/24/13 thru 9/23/2014)
    2010 Harley Road Glide (gone after 61,964 miles)
    2001 Harley Electra Glide (gone after 138,048 miles)

Did you receive a breakdown of parts and number of hours for the service?
    Hope you don't wait over two month to reply like you did on your sprocket thread.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I saw the bill for the 24K service I almost plotted - a tad over $2700! And that was just the BMW-prescribed service - no tires.

That's almost hard to believe
    A quick search turned up a 40KM service schedule http://tinyurl.com/kuv9j8p

I'm glad I know how to change my oil.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

I'd find a different dealer.

Here is the 40k kilometer (24k mile) service schedule. No way that it approaches $2,700. Perhaps the dealer is inflating the cost to stick it to Western Services or to make you feel that buying the service contract was a good idea.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/bmw-c-65...e-schedule.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Jeff Wilson life member Jeffsride's Avatar
    I read in the owner news that you mentioned 650gt's, do you have 2 and that you had 36000 miles on them. I realize a belt in $265 the rollers are $150 or so the chain $100 sprockets are also couple of hundred. Lucky you can get that plan we in Canada do not have such an option so I am doing all my own work as the Labour is the majority of the bill
    So I brought my 2014 C650GT into the dealer for the 24K service, and boy am I thankful that I purchased the Priority Maintenance Plan from Western Services Contract (Long Beach BMW, my dealer, had just started carrying the service). I paid about $2K for the next 6 factory-standard services, and while I saved $400+ on the 18K service (according to the service manager) when I saw the bill for the 24K service I almost plotted - a tad over $2700! And that was just the BMW-prescribed service - no tires.

Jeff
    A bad day on the C650 GT scooter is better than the best day at work

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    It was fortunate that the 650GT had a very high seat and I was "forced" to buy a Burgman 650. I change the oil and change or clean filters without the need to change belts, rollers or sprockets. Like the Garth Brooks song said "Thank God for unanswered prayers."
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I would like to hear more on the pre-paid service as it's the first I have heard of it....
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I would like to hear more on the pre-paid service as it's the first I have heard of it....
    OM
    Sorry for my delayed reply - I've been away and don't get notifications when comments are posted to my questions...

So: the service plan is from a place called Western Services Contract Corp in Menlo Park, CA - their number is 800-543-5225. I only learned of it through my dealer, though...have no idea if they sell direct.

As to the question of what constituted the $2700 bill:
    15 hours of labor (at $105 per here in Long Beach)
    Roller weights - $148
    Chain pinion - $45
    Sprocket - $135 (this is what took so long to get, I believe)
    chain - $95
    CVT drive belt - $265
    Guide plate - $88
    ...and a bunch of minor items, like gaskets, chain lock, oil, etc.

So my understanding is that the BMW service manuals calculate labor in terms of Flat Rate Units. I believe these are only really used when billing BMW for warranty service, but probably provide a somewhat useful guide for estimating labor.

According to the 2015 RSD, the FRU cost of each maintenance element is as follows:

• BMW Service: 6 FRU
    • Oil Change (10km): 4 FRU
    • Air Filter (20km): 1 FRU
    • Gear Box Oil (40km): 3 FRU
    • Spark Plugs (40km): 4 FRU
    • Check Valve Clearance (40km): 4 FRU
    • Brake Fluid Change (biannual): 5 FRU
    • Replace CVT Belt (20km): 7 FRU
    • Check Clutch (40km): 1 FRU
    • Replace Chain (20km): 8 FRU
    • Repalce Chainset (40km): 31 FRU

So, going by this, each service would be:

• 10km service: 10 FRU
    • 20km service: 10km + 16 = 26 FRU
    • 40km service: 10km + 20km + 43 FRU = 79 FRU

I'm seeing conflicting reports of how FRUs translate into actual hours, but 8-10 minutes seems to be in the top google searches. Going by that guideline, the 40km service should cost about 13-14 hours or labor.

As for the chain and sprocket replacement I think you got ripped off, if you read the schedule for maintenance it says check chain adjustment then the next line says replace chain set. Why would you check and replace?there are adjusters (3 different sizes plus the one you got in the scooter now) to put in place for the chain adjustment that cost about $30 and much less time to install than a chain and sprocket. I just replaced mine a week ago (myself) no special tool needed. What is the guide plate the quote you gave for $88? My estimate for life of the chain and sprockets is about 100,000km (60,000 miles) after the adjusters are all used. (the adjusters are also reusable when you get a new chain and sprockets)

Sorry for my delayed reply - I've been away and don't get notifications when comments are posted to my questions...

So: the service plan is from a place called Western Services Contract Corp in Menlo Park, CA - their number is 800-543-5225. I only learned of it through my dealer, though...have no idea if they sell direct.

As to the question of what constituted the $2700 bill:
    15 hours of labor (at $105 per here in Long Beach)
    Roller weights - $148
    Chain pinion - $45
    Sprocket - $135 (this is what took so long to get, I believe)
    chain - $95
    CVT drive belt - $265
    Guide plate - $88
    ...and a bunch of minor items, like gaskets, chain lock, oil, etc.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    It was fortunate that the 650GT had a very high seat and I was "forced" to buy a Burgman 650. I change the oil and change or clean filters without the need to change belts, rollers or sprockets. Like the Garth Brooks song said "Thank God for unanswered prayers."
    Wait the maintenance is needed and when it does be prepared (you may need 2 credit cards) it is also very expensive, you have moving parts and they wear out and break.
    Jeff

Scooter Whisperer
    I'm in for 24k service right now. Estimated at $2,200. I will be finding a service manual and whatever specialty tools are needed and do future service myself.

Jusst think...If your ride it 100,000 miles it is the cost of a new scooter.
    2013 C650GT
    1964 Vespa GS, 1968 Vespa SS 180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1967 Vespa GT

Scooter Whisperer
    OK here is an update. Had the service done. My dealer also thought the cost was unreasonable but with all the parts and labor that's what it was going to be.

I reminded them that the front brake fluid flush was covered under the recall and that the valve adjustment was done when the timing belt tensioner went bad.

I also got a call from the service rep. The had the parts but called to say that the sprocket and chain looked new, no wear and did not see a reason to replace. My total was $1,200.

Yes...that is still expensive but almost reasonable for the amount of work.

Thank you 441 BMW for no just doing things because the book says so and trying to watch out for their customer.
    2013 C650GT
    1964 Vespa GS, 1968 Vespa SS 180, 1964 Vespa GL, 1967 Vespa GT