Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need help on R50/5 charging issue

Quote Originally Posted by ron1200rt View Post
    Per instructions above.. I just need to disconnect the ground baterry cable...and the positive should remain connected correct? Also should I remove the gas tank to be able to remove the front engine cover??

Thanks
    Ok - here is that issue. It is possible to snag or brush the front cover against the diode board which has a hot wire directly to the battery when removing the cover. So disconnect the ground wire. Now there is no continuity back to the battery so the cover can be safely removed.

Then take off the cover.

But then - to do the test the battery has to be hooked back up - so hook the ground wire back up.

Always do the ground wire first even if taking both loose. Basic electrical safety. If the ground is hooked up and you are wrenching on the hot side, one slip with the wrench or a screwdriver to ground and you have a welder in your hand.

You don't need to remove the tank to remove the front cover. Take out the three bolts. Move the cover forward as far as you can and then down and out. The frame and fender will seem like they are in the way but they are not really. The horn might be.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Awesome...great thanks Paul..

You don't need to remove the tank to remove the front cover. Take out the three bolts. Move the cover forward as far as you can and then down and out.
    I find it less of a hassle to remove the horn as well. A little more effort (one more bolt), but a bit more clearance.

Photo Credit: Brook Reams
    "It is what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden
    Lew Morris
    1973 R75/5 - original owner
    1963 Dnepr